Neat Image, say goodbye to noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi People,

I just bought Neat Image for MAC some time back and I found it to be REALLY good for my E1 ISO800 images. Now I realise that E1 is not that noisy at all after noise reduction. I think E1 + Oly viewer has done a great job of keeping the details and allowing me to use my own noise reduction software. Now I find my images almost as low noise as my KM 7D images was.

I think neat image is free for windows, they have a community version at their website. Try it.

Hi, how much did you bought the Mac version for and where you bought it?

I bought it from Neatimage.com. 50 USD. but I think it is money well spent as it makes ISO800 very useable. It is like one extra stop...

Anyway the guys there are also very responsive with technical queries. I also found a bug for them. There will be a ver 3.11 for MAC released soon. For me I was using MAC with PS CS2 so neatimage was the cheapest option which gave me a PS plugin with action/batch support.

That's what I usually say, Noise is not really a big problem, although not as good as other competitors.

I usually shoot in RAW and apply Neat Image before saving to JPEG to get max quality.

Most family and casual shots, all in-camera JPEG is good enough. Colours are punchy, and it's dust free. E-300 saves me lots of time I!

I use Noise Ninja, ISO800 pics which went through Noise Ninja looks good even with prints at A4, noise is not noticeable.

I actually don't find 'noise' to be an issue with the 4/3 systems as many have claimed, that is also I rarely go above ISO400, but when I do, I know I can handle it with a noise reduction software, no problems at all.

I think beside that, nothing else to complaint about. It's simply quite a perfect system!

most people use the evaluation version of neat image,which only allow saving of jpegs in lower quality.

zaxh81 said:
most people use the evaluation version of neat image,which only allow saving of jpegs in lower quality.

The MAC version is pretty reasonable at USD50. For that you get

1) BATCH/ACTION support,
2) PS CS2 plugin, great if you use PSCS2.
3) 16 bit file support

Basically it makes noise reduction very simple as it is fully compatible with the actions in PS2 letting you automate pretty easily. If you think about how much money you spent on your ziuko lens, this $85 is probably the most useful $85 if you shoot at ISO800.

wind30 said:
The MAC version is pretty reasonable at USD50. For that you get

1) BATCH/ACTION support,
2) PS CS2 plugin, great if you use PSCS2.
3) 16 bit file support

Basically it makes noise reduction very simple as it is fully compatible with the actions in PS2 letting you automate pretty easily. If you think about how much money you spent on your ziuko lens, this $85 is probably the most useful $85 if you shoot at ISO800.

Thanks wind30,i'm using the full win version.Very happy with the result,definitely alot of different between evaluation and full version.:thumbsup:

wind30 said:

Sounds great... do you mind posting some 100% crops of before and after to see the difference for images taken at ISO800? TIA. :)

tao said:
Sounds great... do you mind posting some 100% crops of before and after to see the difference for images taken at ISO800? TIA. :)

too lazy to upload. Anyway the MAC version has a demo which is 100 percent simlar to the full version except it works for small pictures. You can just crop the noisy area and try it yourself.

You have to try a few as it is more effective on certain pictures. Some of the pictures do leave behind some artifects, esp those underexposed areas, so one should try it first.

Yup... must try to believe.... it works veri well... :thumbsup:
U'll be surprised at how some realli terribly "noise destroyed" pics are rescued...
try taking a super noisy shot n clean it up to see....

i find that noiseware is better than neat image, juz my own preference....

Anybody have any idea if there are any profiles for e-500 ? i only see them having e-300 n e1 profiles.

Raptor1 said:
Anybody have any idea if there are any profiles for e-500 ? i only see them having e-300 n e1 profiles.

Until the profile for E-500 comes out, you can use the E-300 profile to good effect with images from the E-500 as the 'noise pattern' is similar between the 2.

you should create your own profile using the calibration target. Noise is VERY dependent on your digital workflow, whether you are shooting jpeg, shooting raw, etc. Using different raw developer also has big effect.

I have different profiles for adobe RAW and oly viewer.

Just saw over at the neat image website, e-500 profiles are out. only jpeg and tiff. None for raw yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.