NDP Coverage Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woops

Oct 21, 2004
My ma got tickets for the upcoming National day parade, so excited as this is the last time it is going to hold in the old stadium. I was wondering from the spectator seat, is my 18-200 VR able to catch the event well with plane, parade, firework, etc.
Do i need to buy, say, prime 300mm f/4?
Need some advise here as to which zoom lens is best suitable given the space constraint, distance.
BTW, anyone know where I can rent the 300mm f/4 lens to test out?

Woops said:
My ma got tickets for the upcoming National day parade, so excited as this is the last time it is going to hold in the old stadium. I was wondering from the spectator seat, is my 18-200 VR able to catch the event well with plane, parade, firework, etc.
Need some advise here as to which zoom lens is best suitable given the space constraint, distance.

Get a AF-S VR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED :thumbsup:

No problem, though the intention is to know which Nikon lens is best suit for this event.

Woops said:

depend on wat u wanna capture? close up of ppl performing in the field? 300mm i think not long enuff also

Yes, primarily ppl performing, at least not little ant. Range longer = $$$ beyond my budget.:sweat:

Woops said:
Yes, primarily ppl performing, at least not little ant. Range longer = $$$ beyond my budget.:sweat:

Then try to go in earlier to get the front sit.

IMHO, dun bother shooting the parade, cos its too far, and i dun recommend shooting from the seating area because pple will be standing up and sitting down...

18-200 would suffice, take some candid shots, enjoy the parade and of course.... take the fireworks from inside the stadium !!

i believe many of the CSers here will take fireworks from outside the stadium.... so if urs is taken inside.. sure got something special for them to see see....

thats from my previous few NDPs experience.... ;) take candids would be nice.

go early like many would say. catch the preparade segment. better be prepared for both wet and hot weather ... ;)

IMO, it would be better to make use of your existing setup and think of what to capture. Using a 300mm lens, you will miss out taking the priceless expression of the spectators around you, unless you are changing lens on the spot. Also, I doubt it would be easy to handheld a 300mm for long and there will not be enough space for a tripod. Keeping your 300mm in the event of a thunderstorm is also a hassle.

Cheers

i think the bigma 50-500 would be nice. but once night time falls in, it would be a pretty useless lens.

many thanks for the recommend after the exhaustive Ger vs Ita game. Look like I can save some $$ and enjoy the last kallang roar. Initially thought 300 + TC got good chance. Will try hard to get good firework picture as it will be taken from monopod (no space for tripod). Certainly hope to get a good seat and no rain.

Woops said:
many thanks for the recommend after the exhaustive Ger vs Ita game. Look like I can save some $$ and enjoy the last kallang roar. Initially thought 300 + TC got good chance. Will try hard to get good firework picture as it will be taken from monopod (no space for tripod). Certainly hope to get a good seat and no rain.

juz becareful when you setup... dun kena caught in situation when every thing ready when FW start... ppl infront of cam stand up... :bigeyes:

Take good firework picture as it will be taken from monopod? Not easy when taking FW with monopod :sweat:

If want to take FW is better to go up to the most upper space where you can seat and stand up to avoid blocking by people while taking FW. I ever setup tripod up there before without problem while taking FW.

Status
Not open for further replies.