ND8 (A.K.A. 0.9 on the Tiffen Scale) and a stern IR filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

siron

Mar 18, 2002
somewhere near...
www.geocities.com
In order to shoot out of doors in direct sun with the NightShot mode that sees in total darkenss, you will need an ND8 (A.K.A. 0.9 on the Tiffen Scale) and a stern IR filter.

What does it really mean?? What's ND8?? a filter?? Is it avialible anyway?

ND8 I guess refers to a Neutral Density and the 8 is the strength of the neutral density. I have a ND 4. Look around, you should be able to find it And the stern IR filter I guess would be one that allows only IR radiation to enter, not visible light.

Originally posted by Flare
ND8 I guess refers to a Neutral Density and the 8 is the strength of the neutral density. I have a ND 4. Look around, you should be able to find it And the stern IR filter I guess would be one that allows only IR radiation to enter, not visible light.

Thanks.. I will try to look ard. Any Shops to recommand?

Originally posted by siron

Thanks.. I will try to look ard. Any Shops to recommand?

I really hope u r not thinking of doing what I'm thinking u r doing....

Oh no... Ark... are you thinking what I think you are thinking that he is going to do? Please Siron... Don't do what Ark and I are thinking that you are thinking of doing

Oie please lah please.... Like that make others and me to feel like we've done something really really terrible...

Oh no...I am very fansinated by the IR effects lah..And I think I know what you are thinking what you think I might be doing..Well..I am not thinking what you think I might be doing lah. Hope you will not think that I will be doing what you think I might be doing. Yeah?;)

Ok... Then something serious... I you are going to shoot in IR, I doubt that you will need that ND8... just use a good IR filters... My reasoning is that i believe ND filters doesn't affect IR radiation, so what's the point of having it? And since the IR filter will block out all, if not most light, why do you still need the ND filter? Unless you are shooting with a IR filter that allows some light in, I don't think you'll need the ND.

Ok... Then something serious... I you are going to shoot in IR, I doubt that you will need that ND8... just use a good IR filters... My reasoning is that i believe ND filters doesn't affect IR radiation, so what's the point of having it? And since the IR filter will block out all, if not most light, why do you still need the ND filter? Unless you are shooting with a IR filter that allows some light in, I don't think you'll need the ND.

I dunno that's why I am asking cuz the net said it. So what IR filter can I go for? how much? my thread 58mm leh

Most shops don't stock IR filters, But John is willing to order for you... a cheap one cost $20-30++ and there's a more expensive one at over $100

Oh no...I am very fansinated by the IR effects lah..And I think I know what you are thinking what you think I might be doing..Well..I am not thinking what you think I might be doing lah. Hope you will not think that I will be doing what you think I might be doing. Yeah?;)

I hope I was mistaken, if I'm I'm sorry.

But there is something fishy about ur first thread:
In order to shoot out of doors in direct sun with the NightShot mode that sees in total darkenss, you will need an ND8 (A.K.A. 0.9 on the Tiffen Scale) and a stern IR filter.

The key "fishy" words are:
1. In Direct Sun
2. NightShot Mode

I hope I'm wrong.....:eek:

Well, I guess shooting IR in Nightshot mode would be advantageous.... In night shot mode, the camera move the in-built IR blocking filter away, thus the camera is more sensitive to IR rad.... But well... The suspicion is justified....

Well, I guess shooting IR in Nightshot mode would be advantageous.... In night shot mode, the camera move the in-built IR blocking filter away, thus the camera is more sensitive to IR rad.... But well... The suspicion is justified....

Before I kana flamed, lets drop the matter now :p
Our main focus is to discuss photography n not investigations right? :D
Leave that to the Men in highly starched blue ;)

Originally posted by ark19

I hope I was mistaken, if I'm I'm sorry.

But there is something fishy about ur first thread:

The key "fishy" words are:
1. In Direct Sun
2. NightShot Mode

I hope I'm wrong.....:eek:

I got this line from the internet on www.itssony.com
That's where I started...yeah?

I got this line from the internet on www.itssony.com
That's where I started...yeah?

Sorry abt my wrong concerns......:embrass:

Here's an extract from Digital Infrared Discussion List

Re: sony f707 and ND filters

Posted By: Chris Maher <c@1x.com>
Date: Saturday, 12 January 2002, at 11:40 p.m.

In Response To: sony f707 (jim lanning)

The Sony 707 is a great camera, and does a wonderful job shooting infrared. But it has been intentionally limited (some might say ‘crippled’) by Sony. When in Nightshot (infrared) mode it will not shoot at exposures shorter than 1/60 of a second, or close it lens down. This results in way overexposed images in full daylight. The easiest way to compensate for this is to reduce exposure with neutral density filters.

Although it may seem strange that Sony would limit the camera in this way, there is a reason. Do you remember the ABC new exposé that claimed that people were using Sony video cameras in infrared mode to shoot pictures of people at the beach, and they could see through people’s bathing suits? (I've included a link to the ABC story below this post) The truth is, some fabrics are quite translucent to infrared light, especially, it seems, wet bathing suits. (To see examples, search on Google for what enthusiasts refer to as infrared xray pictures).

So, by limiting the camera, Sony is making it difficult for people to abuse the privacy rights of unsuspecting subjects. I find this unfortunate, because without this limitation, a 707 would be shooting IR through an 88a filter at 1/500 of a second at f4 in full sun. That would be an awesome tool for the kind of work I am doing.

Chris

Link to the ABC Story on IR 'xray' pictures

The ND is used to get the "hot mirror" off the ccd sensors.
The Hot mirrors is used to block IR from degrading a normal photo.

Sorry again...

Oh... Sorry siron.... But... does ND affects IR? Ark? ever tried? using my ND and a tv remote, the ND doesn't appears to reduce much of the IR beam despite being an ND 4...

Oh... Sorry siron.... But... does ND affects IR? Ark? ever tried? using my ND and a tv remote, the ND doesn't appears to reduce much of the IR beam despite being an ND 4...

Flare.. I know nothing abt ND or whatever. That is why I ask eh. I curious to know whats all these abt. Me blur liao..

Hmm, I think in this case, the ND is used to trick F707 to keep the hot mirror up while the Nightshot mode is activated while in daylight.
The Sony 707 is a great camera, and does a wonderful job shooting infrared. But it has been intentionally limited (some might say ‘crippled’) by Sony. When in Nightshot (infrared) mode it will not shoot at exposures shorter than 1/60 of a second, or close it lens down. This results in way overexposed images in full daylight. The easiest way to compensate for this is to reduce exposure with neutral density filters.

So, we shouldn't use the ND. I've not used it before as I don't have one :( Siron, If u r using F707, could borrow a ND and a IR filter to give it a try...

Flare, could u shoot a few IR shots with ND? Might have surprising results! ;)

Btw, read that yellow filters might help with IR photography

Originally posted by ark19

Hmm, I think in this case, the ND is used to trick F707 to keep the hot mirror up while the Nightshot mode is activated while in daylight.
So, we shouldn't use the ND. I've not used it before as I don't have one :(

Could u shoot a few IR shots with ND? Might have surprising results! ;)

Btw, read that yellow filters might help with IR photography...

Haha I still very blur on ND...all I know is attach a IR filter to the lens that's all..where ND goes..and WHAT IS ND!!haha

Status
Not open for further replies.