ND2 or ND4

Status
Not open for further replies.
how much light do you want to cut?

I am aware ND2 reduces 50% and lowers by 2 stop, while ND4 by 755 and 3 stops. I am refering to actual application of the ND, say for the below 3 scenario
1) coastline with sunny weather
2) water fall with reflective water
3) desert with bright reflective sand all around

i face the same problem too when deciding which to buy, finally i got the ND4, my reason been, if using ND4, and i need more light, i can always open up. but if using ND2, and i need to cut more light, there isn't much i can do except to over expose by a stop to get the result, den adjust it in lightroom2... hope my reason for making this choice is sound. any bro care to share ur view? ;)

I'll choose ND4 or ND2.

It can help me cut more light. If I take ND2, I can decrease the ISO or aperture to cut light.

That is why I bought for Hoya ND8.
It can help me cut more light even during broad daylight situations and also at night. ;)

come to think of it... i bought the ND8.... :bsmilie:

i think i pay about $30 - $40 for it. it's Marumi DHG light control 8. bought it from japan;)

There is no one fix filter for every occassions. Sometimes u want to shoot with larger aperture in bright lights, sometimes u need very long exposure for some moving water body.

I dun understand about the "3) desert with bright reflective sand all around " though

Ryan

I bought the China made ND4, ND8 and gradual ND. Cheap, usable and don't need to crack brain on decision over price.

Not to confuse ppl...

State the size when u tell ppl how much u buy...

I am aware ND2 reduces 50% and lowers by 2 stop, while ND4 by 755 and 3 stops. I am refering to actual application of the ND, say for the below 3 scenario
1) coastline with sunny weather
2) water fall with reflective water
3) desert with bright reflective sand all around

It depends on your actual light conditions and your intended camera settings. There is no "one filter for all situations". If you just need a reduction by 2 stops then ND2 is fine, if you need more than ND4 will be the right one. The right tool for the right purpose. Maybe that's a reason why some ND filters come as a set (e.g. Tian Ya), pick the one that you need at this moment.

Depending on how much light you need to cut, you could actually end up needing to stack multiple ND filters.

I'll choose ND4 or ND2.

It can help me cut more light. If I take ND2, I can decrease the ISO or aperture to cut light.

That is why I bought for Hoya ND8.
It can help me cut more light even during broad daylight situations and also at night. ;)

same. ND 8:bsmilie:

There is no one fix filter for every occassions. Sometimes u want to shoot with larger aperture in bright lights, sometimes u need very long exposure for some moving water body.

I dun understand about the "3) desert with bright reflective sand all around " though

Ryan

sand are very reflective, especially in a vast land of nothing but sand. I was once in a situation caught without ND. ISO set to 50, aperture set to f32 and no matter how fast my shutter, all my shots are still over exposed. Below is adjusted using LR2 but there is no way to introduce motion blur on the wheels at that time

3352560567_2cea56e137.jpg

Last edited:
i think i pay about $30 - $40 for it. it's Marumi DHG light control 8. bought it from japan;)

I have the same Marumi but ND4. I got it for 50+ :(

I bought the China made ND4, ND8 and gradual ND. Cheap, usable and don't need to crack brain on decision over price.

I read somewhere that cheap ND can pose a threat to your eyes as it gives you a false perception that all spectrum/radiation has been filtered. So if you look directly into bright source for prolong period, you can damage your eyes. Just be careful with how you use it.

I would get a ND4. With the ND4, you can raise your ISO one stop to mimic the functionality of a ND2. For instance, if I am already at ISO 50 (and that's my lowest) with the ND 4 on, I can raise my ISO to 100, but if I am already at ISO 50 with the ND 2 on, I can't drop my ISO anymore.

I read somewhere that cheap ND can pose a threat to your eyes as it gives you a false perception that all spectrum/radiation has been filtered. So if you look directly into bright source for prolong period, you can damage your eyes. Just be careful with how you use it.

I guess you mix up something about astrophotography where it is true that one must not use any normal ND filter when taking pictures of the sun during daylight (except during time of sunrise / sunset). Apart from that there is nothing to worry about when just taking pictures. If the cheap ND filter does not block any "mysterious radiation" then it is the same as having no filter at all. But we mostly take pictures every day without filters...
Please verify the source of your information and be precise about any threatening conditions. Enough FUD around already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.