Status
Not open for further replies.

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
ND = Neutral Density

here are 3 similar shots taken by using my Pro 90 IS at Botanic Gardens.

Waterfall shot 1 (no filter used)
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 2.8
153-5391_img_std.jpg

Waterfall shot 2 (no filter used)
Shutter speed: 1/40 sec
Aperture: 8.0
153-5390_img_std.jpg

Waterfall shot 3 (ND 8 and Polariser filters used)
Shutter speed: 0.8 sec
Aperture: 8.0
153-5389_img_std.jpg

As you can see , by adding a ND and polariser , I can set longer exposure to shutter speed to give a smooth effect on the waterfall ...

Originally posted by mpenza
Would -2.0EV, F8 and 0.8s shutter speed achieve a similar effect? Just wondering....

dunno leh .... will try out the settings next time ..

Would -2.0EV, F8 and 0.8s shutter speed achieve a similar effect? Just wondering....

I don't think so...when you do a -2.0EV, the cam will take with an actual exposure different from the F8 and 0.8s that you set, and you won't get the 0.8s blurring of the water. That's how I understand about exposure compensation, maybe I'm wrong. ;)

How abt a polarising filter? Will it be enough?

Originally posted by Tweek

I don't think so...when you do a -2.0EV, the cam will take with an actual exposure different from the F8 and 0.8s that you set, and you won't get the 0.8s blurring of the water. That's how I understand about exposure compensation, maybe I'm wrong. ;)

Right. In fact, if you have an indicated exposure of say 1/2s at f/2.8, setting the exposure compensation to -2, you will either get 1/8s at f/2.8 or 1/2s at f8 (depending on the mode), and this will be shown on the LCD status display.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Right. In fact, if you have an indicated exposure of say 1/2s at f/2.8, setting the exposure compensation to -2, you will either get 1/8s at f/2.8 or 1/2s at f8 (depending on the mode), and this will be shown on the LCD status display.

Regards
CK

hmm... thanks for the info. I was wondering how it works actually.

changing EV setting under shutter priority mode, would I get intermediate values of Aperture (other than the F3.2, F4.8 and F8 on my camera)?

hmm... thanks for the info. I was wondering how it works actually.

changing EV setting under shutter priority mode, would I get intermediate values of Aperture (other than the F3.2, F4.8 and F8 on my camera)?

Not too sure, but don't think so. Most consumer digital cameras only have a fixed set of apertures. So the camera might 'cheat' by changing ISO or something.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Paladin
How abt a polarising filter? Will it be enough?

Polarising filters reduces only 1 to 2 stops, you may not be able to get a shutter speed that is long enough.

As for EV compensation. On my camera, it adjust the light meter. If I use a +1EV, the camera will set the settings at 1 stop above what the meter read. So I guess reducing the EV will not work. Why not just crank the Aperture to the tiniest in aperture piority and see what is the longest posible shutter speed you can use... If this does not surfice (such as in the afternoon sun), pop in a ND to slow down the shutter. This is how I do it. And also when I want to use a specific aperture and shutter speed and if this over expose my shot, a ND will help.

But well, I have more problems in regard with insufficient light and flash technique.

Took this pic with a polariser w/o ND filter. Guess ND is indeed needed to take such pic.

f/7
shutter 1/5sec

waterfall.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.