ND filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofmind

Dec 5, 2007
Woodlands
Hi, I am thinking of getting a ND filter, I understand that there is ND2,ND4 and ND8.
So how do i decide which to get?
What is the main thing I should consider?

Thanks.

ND8, it gives u up to 3 stops.....though u many not need the 3 stops.......

but if u get the 2 stops one. and realised u need 3 stops...well.

any idea how much the different filters cost?
52mm de

u can also look at polariser.

sort of dual purpose.

apart from polarising, will cut up to 2 stops.

wan cheap, can go buy tokina. i bought a circular polariser from cathay, 77mm, $40 only.

so a polariser helps in the same way as ND filters...hmmm, okie, I will do more research on it then.
thanks!

so a polariser helps in the same way as ND filters...hmmm, okie, I will do more research on it then.
thanks!
no... polariser is not a ND. Although it cuts light, but it can affect the colour and therefore not neutral like ND filters. With very wide angles, the polarisation is sometimes not even throughout the frame.

BC

no... polariser is not a ND. Although it cuts light, but it can affect the colour and therefore not neutral like ND filters. With very wide angles, the polarisation is sometimes not even throughout the frame.

BC

yes, a polariser is not a ND, but it can act like one (cut off light).

with regard to color cast, a good polariser should be neutral, that is, apart from things like removing glare, darkening blue sky, there shouldnt be any colour shift.

having said that, there are feedbacks (not my 1st hand experience) some brand of ND (esp split ND filters) are known to ve funny color cast.

yes, polarising effect may not be uniform throughout the sky in wide angle shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.