ND Filters for 14-24

Do correct me if I got it wrong

For the Lee SW 150 system, to use it on other Lee adaptors, one must either already own those adaptors or have to purchase them on top of the SW 150 system adaptor ring that does not come with the SW 150 filter kit.

Hi Luminare,
A bit confused with your question :) , so i hope i am replying to what you want to know. The SW150 comes with a few metal rings. one set you can mount permanently on the 14-24 hood. The other which hold the square filters (Part A) can dismantle then keep. So let's say you want to use on a 77mm lens..you need to buy the 77mm adapter. which mount on the 77mm lens. then your Part A can mount onto the adapter.
this video should better explain. :)
[video=youtube;BVPVBR3CKRk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPVBR3CKRk[/video]

Do correct me if I got it wrong

For the Lee SW 150 system, to use it on other Lee adaptors, one must either already own those adaptors or have to purchase them on top of the SW 150 system adaptor ring that does not come with the SW 150 filter kit.

Hi Luminare,
A bit confused with your question :) , so i hope i am replying to what you want to know. The SW150 comes with a few metal rings. one set you can mount permanently on the 14-24 hood. The other which hold the square filters (Part A) can dismantle then keep. So let's say you want to use on a 77mm lens..you need to buy the 77mm adapter. which mount on the 77mm lens. then your Part A can mount onto the adapter.
this video should better explain. :)

Ah... I think akuma's explanation is not the full story. In addition to needing the correct size of adaptor ring (for example, a 77mm adaptor), to use the SW150 on a "regular" lens you also need the SW150 System Adaptor (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/sw-150-system-adaptor). The System Adaptor acts as a sort of interface between what akuma has called 'Part A' of the SW150, and the regular 77mm adaptor ring on the "regular" lens.

For example, to mount the SW150 on a 77mm lens, it's
lens > 77mm adaptor > SW150 System Adaptor > SW150 filter holder section (Part A)

The reason for needing this additional System Adaptor is because the holder section of the SW150 has a diameter that's way too large for any regular adaptors, even the largest 82mm ones. For reference, here's a quick iPhone snap of my SW150's holder section with a 77mmm wide angle adaptor ring to show the size differential.

13963040771_07034b4586.jpg

So, to answer Luminare's question, yes, one does need to already own or purchase the appropriately sized adaptor ring(s) to be able to use the SW150 on lenses other than the 14-24. In addition, one also needs to own the SW150 System Adaptor.

Last edited:
Thank you bro Akuma and sis rh89.

That answers a lot of the queries.

Now, I can go ahead and decide on what I need.

Cheers

@rh89
Sorry to bring up this thread yet once again, but for the modifications made to the SW150 holder, is the foam removable?

@rh89 Sorry to bring up this thread yet once again, but for the modifications made to the SW150 holder, is the foam removable?

mine not.
Since I do not want to do more retrofitting in the field, I made it permanent onto the holder.

mine not.
Since I do not want to do more retrofitting in the field, I made it permanent onto the holder.

Touch wood, but in the event your foam breaks or disintegrates (after all it is foam...), how're you gonna replace it? :(

Touch wood, but in the event your foam breaks or disintegrates (after all it is foam...), how're you gonna replace it? :(

remove and replace ... this is the only solution

@rh89
Sorry to bring up this thread yet once again, but for the modifications made to the SW150 holder, is the foam removable?

mine not.

remove and replace ... this is the only solution

Actually, I designed the foam baffle to be completely removable as and when I feel like it, and it leaves absolutely no marks on the holder itself (I was very concerned about potential resale value). I can in fact simply pull the baffle off, even in the field, and it takes literally 10 seconds at most to fit back on. However, after months of usage (I created the baffle about a year or so ago), I've found that there are perhaps some additional modifications that would greatly benefit the baffle and enable an even better seal. I still believe that I want maintain the no-permanent-modification philosophy, but all this is just still trial and error for now. The original baffle that's in my website is perfectly functional and should be just fine the large majority of the time in real world use.

I'm always looking for new ideas regarding filter holder modifications though, so if you have any, please let me know! :)

Last edited:
I struggled with the decision between the Lee SW150 and the Progrey G-150X. Finally ended up with the Progrey from the USA website progreyusa.com. Excellent prices. It ended up being a no-brainer for me. Progrey was less expensive, no inherent design flaws like the Lee holder, all metal, and the light leak "problem" really isn't an issue with Progrey. They also have adapters so you can use the G-150X on other lenses. I noticed in this thread that someone said adaptors aren't made for Progrey but they are. Maybe it is new, I don't know.

So far I am extremely happy with my choice, and I tend to be overly critical with stuff like this. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents!

but progrey does not have a adapter for 82/77 thread. Lee does

Turns out Progrey does make adaptors for the g-150x, in both 77 and 82mm thread, for lenses other than the Nikon 14-24. Saw this on progreyusa.com.

hi rh89,

have visited your webpage and I must say you have very nice landscape pictures!
I am currently considering the zeiss 21mm and the Nikon 14-24mm
the main concern about the Nikon is the lens performance and the filter issues..

like to hear your opinion on:

1. how do you find the Nikon 14-24mm ? (in terms of sharpness and the "stars" effects)

2. i read that you are using the lee 150mm filter... what do you think of it?

3. can share how much you paid for the 150mm foundation kit? (not sure what it is called)
is this for the 14-24mm and what does it comprise of?

4. how's the lee filters in terms of performance and ease of keeping in a bag?

tried to PM you but i think your storage is full... ha ha

thanks a lot

hi rh89,

have visited your webpage and I must say you have very nice landscape pictures!
I am currently considering the zeiss 21mm and the Nikon 14-24mm
the main concern about the Nikon is the lens performance and the filter issues..

like to hear your opinion on:

1. how do you find the Nikon 14-24mm ? (in terms of sharpness and the "stars" effects)

2. i read that you are using the lee 150mm filter... what do you think of it?

3. can share how much you paid for the 150mm foundation kit? (not sure what it is called)
is this for the 14-24mm and what does it comprise of?

4. how's the lee filters in terms of performance and ease of keeping in a bag?

tried to PM you but i think your storage is full... ha ha

thanks a lot

3. If you are not particular about the brand, can consider Haida 150mm filters. They cost much less and can be bought online from Taobao (that's where I get mine) or locally from Photosphere.

4. WRT keeping in bag, maybe you can use a piece of 15cm by 15cm paper to estimate

Hope I managed to help

hi MarkersNg, thanks for the reply.... how you find the haida? and can share how much you paid for it?
thanks

hi MarkersNg, thanks for the reply.... how you find the haida? and can share how much you paid for it? thanks

You can just look up for Photosphere website. They have the prices there. I remember they are slightly cheaper than LEE filters.

wonder if possible to buy the cheaper haida filter holder and use lee filters with it...
are they (lee and haida) all compatible ?

I have a nisi filter holder which i gotten from artworkoto. Did a bit of modding to prevent light leaks and it accepts my Lee and Haida filters. Will post up pics when i get home.

Which lens are you using it on ? How do you rate the nisi filter holder and is thenpric difference large? Thanks!

Which lens are you using it on ? How do you rate the nisi filter holder and is thenpric difference large? Thanks!

Erm like the thread stated man, i'm using it on the 14-24mm. The nisi filter holder that i'm using is fast and easy to set up and its smaller than the modified Lee SW 150 holder. As for the price difference, it is quite significant. Sorry it slipped my mind to take a photo last night. Will try to post one when i have the chance.

2yl7hib.jpg

My modded Nisi filter holder, I added in a layer of foam on the outside to prevent light leaks when using a 10 stop ND filter as can be seen by the scotch tape on the foam.

nice one bro... thanks, will go to artwork and take a look...

there doesn't seem to be any CP available for 14-24mm right?
(apart from fotodiox)