ND Filter

Ivshootphoto

Dec 17, 2007
Hi All,

Anyone have used any ND filter before?. I looking for one to try but not sure which is good.
I have research and saw Cokin and Tianya. Anyone used them before, which is better?.

Can advise?.

Thank you

Depending do you want the Square/Slot-in type of filters or those Round/Screw-in filter?

Square/Slot-in Filter
- Lee
- Hi-Tech
- Cokin
- Tianya

Screw-in Filter
- B+W
- Hoya
- Kenko

How many f-stop of light do you want to cut?

1 stop - Hoya ND2 / Lee or Hitech ND0.3 / B+W ND101
2 stops - Hoya ND4 / Lee or Hitech ND0.6 / B+W ND102
3 stops - Hoya ND8 / Lee or Hitech ND0.9 / B+W ND103
4 stops - Hitech 1.2
6 stops - B+W ND106
10 stops - Hoya ND400 / Lee or Hitech ND3 (also known as Big Stopper) / B+W ND110

Last edited:
Depending do you want the Square/Slot-in type of filters or those Round/Screw-in filter?

Square/Slot-in Filter
- Lee
- Hi-Tech
- Cokin
- Tianya

Screw-in Filter
- B+W
- Hoya
- Kenko

How many f-stop of light do you want to cut?

1 stop - Hoya ND2 / Lee or Hitech ND0.3 / B+W ND101
2 stops - Hoya ND4 / Lee or Hitech ND0.6 / B+W ND102
3 stops - Hoya ND8 / Lee or Hitech ND0.9 / B+W ND103
4 stops - Hitech 1.2
6 stops - B+W ND106
10 stops - Hoya ND400 / Lee or Hitech ND3 (also known as Big Stopper) / B+W ND110

Woah, the choices are wider than I expected.
But not all shops will carry such a wide range. Any shops will you recommend that will have more choice and possibility of making comparison?

Thanks

Hi All,

Anyone have used any ND filter before?. I looking for one to try but not sure which is good.
I have research and saw Cokin and Tianya. Anyone used them before, which is better?.

Can advise?.

Thank you

to know what ND filter you want you must first know how much you want to slow your shutter speed
if you love photos from 20 seconds to god-knows-how-long long exposures then you'll probably need a 10 stop B+W ND110 or 9 stop Hoya ND400
if you just want to lengthen shutter speed to 1 sec plus for waterfall during daytime then 3 stops onwards should be sufficient
of course if you have lots of money you can buy filters for all the different stops :bsmilie:

and if you only need to lengthen exposure time and don't need to stack with GND (graduated ND filter) i'll suggest you use round screw in ones (hoya is very decent already)

oh and i wont recommend getting 1 or 2 stops ND they are wasting your money

Last edited:
Hi All,

Can advise?.

Thank you

Are you looking for Neutral Density filters, which extend exposure time...

Or Graduated Neutral Density filters, which help to balance out exposure when there are differences (say, in landscapes, when there is a brighter sky than foreground)?

Usually newcomers confuse the two.

Both are ok and are relatively cheap. Serves purpose quite well.

Cokin tends to be more consistent, tends to give yellow cast (For both GND and ND).

Tianya will be more erratic, give very different cast with each filter, but is cheaper. Tianya cast if you are lucky is easier to correct than Cokin.

Hope this helps.