ND Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne900

Sep 2, 2007
Hi All,

Hope someone can advise me

Currently i am using D40 with kit lens, 55-200mm and a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and i like to purchase a Hoya ND4 filter. Can anyone advise me what size should i get for the filter? Should i get 62mm for my Sigma and use step down adapter when i need to use on my 55-200mm?

Hi All,

Hope someone can advise me

Currently i am using D40 with kit lens, 55-200mm and a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and i like to purchase a Hoya ND4 filter. Can anyone advise me what size should i get for the filter? Should i get 62mm for my Sigma and use step down adapter when i need to use on my 55-200mm?

Which would you use it on more often?? the 30mm?

And if you use both as often, then yes. Consider getting the bigger size and step down to the other filter thread size.

That would be the more eonomical option. I myself have a 77mm ND filter which i step down for my other lenses.

Or else u can check out those rectangular filters.
You can either get a filter holder for them, or hand hold them which i most often do.

Ryan

thanks for the reply

guess i should get the filter for my biggest lens and buy a step down when needed. So far i do use the 30mm more than the rest.

If you are looking to expand your collection of filters (e.g NDs, GNDs), maybe its easier to get the rectangular filters.

Suggest that you look up Cokin and Tianya filters. They are the rectangular filters mentioned by those above and they fit via an adapter with different sized rings..... Useful if u use ND filters or even IR and dont want to worry about lens ring diameters.....

Only problem I face with this setup is when I need something for a UWA lens.... like 11-16mm etc...

BTW, Cokin stuff available in CP but aint gg to be cheap. Tianya would be more affordable.

Hope this helps.

ok thx all for your suggestion. will look for info on them then! didn't know there are rectangular filters!

Only problem I face with this setup is when I need something for a UWA lens.... like 11-16mm etc...

There is a holder with only one slot, suitable for UWA.

There is a holder with only one slot, suitable for UWA.

Mebbe I shld try it out. A lady at CP told me that's it not suitable as it will vignet when wide open for the 11mm-16mm Tokina.... So far, I hold via hand.....

Will check that out again. Thanks for the note again. :)

Either u get the more expensive Z pro or larger holders and filter system to cut down on vignetting issues, or else hand hold ur usual rectangular P size filters against the lens

Ryan

Mebbe I shld try it out. A lady at CP told me that's it not suitable as it will vignet when wide open for the 11mm-16mm Tokina.... So far, I hold via hand.....

Hmm.. holding via hand is feasible if you using GND etc and the shutter speed is short enough. If using ND filters which increases the shutter time, might be a bit difficult without tripod.

Hmm.. holding via hand is feasible if you using GND etc and the shutter speed is short enough. If using ND filters which increases the shutter time, might be a bit difficult without tripod.

Yeah, tell me about it. Look darn funny holding a piece of plastic over the lens for 1 min. U get strange looks......;p

Simple way...

use blue tack on four corners....

Simple way...

use blue tack on four corners....

lol !~:D Hello.... got residue la..... Don't wanna destroy the filter on my lens leh....

i'm not sure about 11-16, but the vignetting only appears very badly when it comes to extreme filters like the nd1000 from b&w or hoya nd400.

for gnd, there is no problem , i sincerely doubt there will be problem unless you refuse to stop down sufficiently (f/8 or more). the only problem is when you buy a filter holder that isn't designed for UWA.

i'm not sure about 11-16, but the vignetting only appears very badly when it comes to extreme filters like the nd1000 from b&w or hoya nd400.

for gnd, there is no problem , i sincerely doubt there will be problem unless you refuse to stop down sufficiently (f/8 or more). the only problem is when you buy a filter holder that isn't designed for UWA.

I was trying to buy the Cokin P sized wide angle filter holder that holds the 1 pc only. She asked me what lens.... I said Tokina 11-16mm and she said unsuitable oso..... So I took her word for it..... Ha... I should go back and just ask her to take one out for me to try.

I was trying to buy the Cokin P sized wide angle filter holder that holds the 1 pc only. She asked me what lens.... I said Tokina 11-16mm and she said unsuitable oso..... So I took her word for it..... Ha... I should go back and just ask her to take one out for me to try.

Hmm, i have used the wide angle holder with the 10-22mm and 350D at 10mm, I did not notice any vignetting.

just wonder if i buy a CPL filter, can it be used like a ND 4 filter too?

just wonder if i buy a CPL filter, can it be used like a ND 4 filter too?

All CPL have different characteristics as in how much light will be cut off. It also depends on the amount of stray light at the moment when you take the picture. So the resulting effect can be anything between ND2 and ND4 or even slightly more. Secondly, CPL will change colours, ND filters are neutral (ND = Neutral Density).
So you can use it, but watch out for unwanted side effects due to the polarizing filter.

Hmm, i have used the wide angle holder with the 10-22mm and 350D at 10mm, I did not notice any vignetting.

Looks like I asked the wrong person @ CP ! Ha.... Sokay. I can go get meself one single holder and quit looking silly then ! ;)

Hey guys, thanks very much for the information !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.