ND Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus80

Apr 9, 2012
Pasir Ris
Hello

Pls advise good ND filter brand for a 6 stop type.
Any idea on the price or shop ?

Thanks

lotus80 said:
Hello

Thanks

Yes, use the search function. Seriously, we have many previous threads, price guides, newbie guides...

Hello

Thanks

I have a soft spot for Lee and Sing Ray ND filters ... just personal...

maybe some of the landscapists can help?

next time please post these newbie questions in the Newbie's Corner where you are accorded more protection and help

moving thread in a few mins

Last edited:
LCW Fader ND mark2 also not bad
sgcamerastore selling

You need to understand your needs. Do you want a sqaure filter setup or ring type.

There are many options. For square Lee, singh ray are good.

For ring, you can get a fixed density ND like B+W ND106.

If you want variable ND, Singh Ray is the traditional one to go for. A couple of new ones on the market are very impressive, like the heliopan, kenko and tiffen vari nd.

The cheaper vari nd like fader or nature are trash and not worth the money. Even the mid range LCW i am not very impressed with it.

Vari nd, while versatile poses some problems when in actual use. The wider your lens, the more prone to cross banding it will be. At high densities, color casts will start to creep in. The cheaper ones exhibit these problems more. The more expensive ones will be more tolerant.

For me, i use square for most landscape work. For times i need a vari ND, i finally settled on the Tiffen vari nd. That is my personal choice when balacing the costs and performance.

Last edited:
There is also Cokin.

daredevil123 said:
You need to understand your needs. Do you want a sqaure filter setup or ring type.

There are many options. For square Lee, singh ray are good.

For ring, you can get a fixed density ND like B+W ND106.

If you want variable ND, Singh Ray is the traditional one to go for. A couple of new ones on the market are very impressive, like the heliopan, kenko and tiffen vari nd.

The cheaper vari nd like fader or nature are trash and not worth the money. Even the mid range LCW i am not very impressed with it.

Vari nd, while versatile poses some problems when in actual use. The wider your lens, the more prone to cross banding it will be. At high densities, color casts will start to creep in. The cheaper ones exhibit these problems more. The more expensive ones will be more tolerant.

For me, i use square for most landscape work. For times i need a vari ND, i finally settled on the Tiffen vari nd. That is my personal choice when balacing the costs and performance.

Thank you for write up, very useful :)
Btw, which trifen vari nd you use, model number ? I'll buy that one from your experience.
Have a good weekend.

Which local shops or online site carries Tiffen VND?
Google it and it attracts me

lotus80 said:
Thank you for write up, very useful :)
Btw, which trifen vari nd you use, model number ? I'll buy that one from your experience.
Have a good weekend.

Tiffen only offer one model of variable nd. Get the thread size you need mine is 77mm

snapsnapsnapsnap said:
Which local shops or online site carries Tiffen VND?
Google it and it attracts me

Cathay photo carries it. It is on offer now.

lotus80 said:
Oh tiffen vnd is only available in 77mm as their website says, and it's bloody expensive :-(

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=filters&itemnum=77vnd

Good things don't come cheap. Wait till you see the price of tye singh ray.

Anyway i got it in usa when it was just released. Price was 189 usd back then. Price has been raised to 240 usd now...

Do you have any recommendations for 82mm?

Good things don't come cheap. Wait till you see the price of tye singh ray.

Anyway i got it in usa when it was just released. Price was 189 usd back then. Price has been raised to 240 usd now...

Yes, use the search function. Seriously, we have many previous threads, price guides, newbie guides...

Yes, ignore the thread if you got nothing better to contribute. Seriously, you like to make people miserable. Not everyone is a Professor in Googling like you, Sir.

The Moving Chair said:
Yes, ignore the thread if you got nothing better to contribute. Seriously, you like to make people miserable. Not everyone is a Professor in Googling like you, Sir.

Multiple threads asking the same thing starts to get irritating and after a point the more experienced people will just ignore newbies corner. Is that what you want? After that it will be a case of the blind leading the blind, mostly.

You don't have to be a professor to click on the search button in clubsnap.

Multiple threads asking the same thing starts to get irritating and after a point the more experienced people will just ignore newbies corner. Is that what you want? After that it will be a case of the blind leading the blind, mostly.

You don't have to be a professor to click on the search button in clubsnap.

Not everyone can search with the correct keywords. Not everyone is technologically gifted. I faced a lot of difficulties with search engines and I once had simpler than simple questions which I found no answer to and then when some brave soul asked and got flamed by Rashkae/Octarine, then other kind souls helped out that's when I learned. Of course that was some time ago. Thus I empathise with these people. People jump too fast to conclusion that others are lazy

Even if they are lazy, what is the arrogance and mockery for?

Last edited:
Not everyone can search with the correct keywords. Not everyone is technologically gifted. I faced a lot of difficulties with search engines and I once had simpler than simple questions which I found no answer to and then when some brave soul asked and got flamed by Rashkae/Octarine, then other kind souls helped out that's when I learned. Of course that was some time ago. Thus I empathise with these people. People jump too fast to conclusion that others are lazy

seriously bro. stop policing the threads. and you dug up an almost 2 month old thread to flame Rashkae and Octarine? the mods deleted your thread for a reason you know

Last edited:

So you dug up this old thread just to troll me? LOL

Viva la hypocrisy! LOL

The Moving Chair said:

Frankly, i find your repeated attempts at this highly irritating. You've said what you wanted to say, now move the bloody hello on.

Status
Not open for further replies.