ND Filter (landscape shooting)

unknowger

Sep 11, 2010
Hi!

I am thinking of buying the ND110 filter for my canon eos 7D. Just wonder is it compatible for my kit lens 18-135mm? Are there any other thing that I need to get, such as filter holder?? Or do I even need a ring adaptor?

Any suggestion who could I buy it from? Planning to use it for landscape shooting.

it depends.. if ur buying those screw on ND filter.. u dont have to get a filter holder..

but if u are using coking/lee/tianya filter system.. u will need a filter holder..

ring adaptor is for when the ring size doesnt match ur filter thread size.. so get it only if needed

1. u know how to use the filter? u dun place the filter and expect it to automatically perform magic for you.
2. whether the filter is suitable for your lens, is not determine whether is it a ND filter or other filter names. But rather the thread size of the filter can fit your lens or not. (eg 77mm, 72mm, etc)
3. depends if u get a round filter or square filter, round filter u dun need holder.
4. ring adaptor? buy step up ring if u buy a larger thread size of the filter but want to use for later lens you will be buying then u may need it. eg, if u buy a 77mm filter but if later u got a 72mm lens, then u need this step up ring for 72-77mm.

from your question, i dun think u need to buy this filter yet cos u seems so unsure and even make mistakes in your question. will suggest that you get your basic rights first before venturing into ND filters.

Thanks JiEeEe...

Yes, sinned79... Thanks for ur clear explanation. Am still learning, so hope u dun mind.

Do agree with you that I need to stick to what I'm using nw. ESP. At current, I'm using the Hoya ND4 which is the screw-on type. Nt sure whether am I usin it correctly/effectively. Guess I do have to find someone to teach me practically....

However, if I am using a 67mm lens, is it ok for me to buy a 77mm filter? In the case if I have plans to upgrade to other lenses in the near future.

There are bascially 2 type of ND filters; the screw on and the square ones together with the holder. And different brands too. So search on the forum and internet before you go and make the purchase.

ND filters can be use in your kit lens . . . no issue. :)

From your post, i do feel that you are still unsure of what or even why you need a ND filter too. Pardon me if i am wrong.
I shoot landscape without ND filter for quite a long period of time before i actually buy one.

By the way why do you start with ND110 and not ND4 ?

Last edited:
Thanks JiEeEe...

Yes, sinned79... Thanks for ur clear explanation. Am still learning, so hope u dun mind.

Do agree with you that I need to stick to what I'm using nw. ESP. At current, I'm using the Hoya ND4 which is the screw-on type. Nt sure whether am I usin it correctly/effectively. Guess I do have to find someone to teach me practically....

However, if I am using a 67mm lens, is it ok for me to buy a 77mm filter? In the case if I have plans to upgrade to other lenses in the near future.

You can join the outings that are being organised and i find them very good and willing to teach. i normally buy 77mm filter and get step up rings. (or step down)

Thanks JiEeEe...

Hi there, I'd suggest you really understand the need and functions of filters before spending money on ND110.

To your second question, yes, in fact, I'd strongly recommend that you get a 77mm filter and then buy a 67-77mm step-up ring first to use with your kit lens first. Assuming that you'd upgrade to a wide angle lens for landscape photography in the near future. Reason being, if you get a 67mm ND110 filter and then when you upgrade to a UWA in future, you are going to have serious vignetting if you step-down from 77mm to 67mm.

Cheers

You can join the outings that are being organised and i find them very good and willing to teach. i normally buy 77mm filter and get step up rings. (or step down)

Agree with weegk, join the outtings (good ones of course) if you want to have a dose of what using ND filters are about. Do observe group etiqettes as well. If not, stay around CS forums frequently, you'll learn much by observing the DGs - this is after all a resource forum.

Filters are not to be rushed in if you want to get the right setup all the way from the beginning, otherwise you'll end up buying and selling (a big hassle and loosing $$).

no harm buying the ND110, it will come useful eventually . . . just get a 77mm will be good.

Then you can explore putting on a ND4 and ND110 or even stack both together . . . on the same composition. Good idea. :think:

no harm buying the ND110, it will come useful eventually . . . just get a 77mm will be good.

Then you can explore putting on a ND4 and ND110 or even stack both together . . . on the same composition. Good idea. :think:

hi, whats the difference of ND4 and ND110?

Actually I do know the theories of the filters & stuffs... However I think I am unsure of the adjustment, ESP. On the shutter speed..

Therefore I thought of buying the ND filter and learn as I use. Cuz I tend to learn better through trial error.... Just that I don't wanna buy the wrong one right at the start, which is what happened to the ND4...

I still think it's better not to rush to get the ND110... TS does need to look at the pros can cons of rimmed filters versus holder system.

Look at this scenario: okay I got my ND110... yippee, nice long 10-stop exposure... but sun a bit too intensive ... need GND to balance the image from strong lights... get rimmed GND.... Heck, rimmed GND is fixed horizon! I need to adjust my view that the horizon is always near dead center of the image... There goes my image compositioning, unless dead-centered horizon is always what I liked.

The thing is... it's better to know EVERYTHING first, the consider what's the best option out of it... at the moment I think TS is quite clueless about the entire filter system...

If money is not an option, why not consider the Lee Big Stopper on holder system (entire set up more ex)... It is a known fact that Big Stopper produces cooler results, whilst ND110 warmer...

Not trying to coerce TS into holder system, but does he knows enough about the pros and cons to decide better for himself? I'm really not sure....

Last edited:
hi, whats the difference of ND4 and ND110?

Strength of the ND... Be careful not to get confused with the way different filter companies name their products...

ND400 (Hoya) is only 9 stops... whereas ND110 (B+W) is 10 stops (stronger)

Thanks folks!! Will research more on the filters and usage before I do my purchase... : )

Lastly, can someone help me with this? When I'm usin ND4 in AV mode, image looks ok. But why would the image turns fully white when I switch it to Manual mode?

Thanks folks!! Will research more on the filters and usage before I do my purchase... : )

Lastly, can someone help me with this? When I'm usin ND4 in AV mode, image looks ok. But why would the image turns fully white when I switch it to Manual mode?

In manuel mode, you need to set your shuttle speed, aperture and iso . . .
i presume your shuttle speed is set too long.

Hi!

I am thinking of buying the ND110 filter for my canon eos 7D. Just wonder is it compatible for my kit lens 18-135mm? Are there any other thing that I need to get, such as filter holder?? Or do I even need a ring adaptor?

Any suggestion who could I buy it from? Planning to use it for landscape shooting.

you can always buy a large one, and then use a step up ring. not sure if there will be vignetting issues.

red dot photo carries it.

Alrite.. Thanks for the advice... Will try again on the shutter speed... Hope to post some decent photos soon... : )

Hey. I'm using Nd400 and my impression is it's too dark to view through viewfinder. Screw out to compose and screw in the press shutter release is too troublesome (for me). Maybe you better off with less strong filter

Hey. I'm using Nd400 and my impression is it's too dark to view through viewfinder. Screw out to compose and screw in the press shutter release is too troublesome (for me). Maybe you better off with less strong filter

Or you can try hyperfocal distance focusing. Once you are well versed in it. You can focus even without looking through the viewfinder. ;)