ND filter advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hi guys,

I would like to buy ND filter for daylight long shutter speed pic. I think if its sunny day, typically the shutterspeed is about 1/4000, then I need about 12 stops to get to 1sec exposure....so what ND filter do you guys recommend?

I have a set of Cokin P series holder and understand from Cathay that they only have ND2, ND4, ND8 and NDX. I know about the first 3, but do you know how many stops is Cokin NDX?

PS: The Cokin NDX can be found in this page of their website, the product code is 156:

http://www.cokin.com/filtres.html?=#156

Thanks.

You can use a small aperture to get a long shutter speed right? So this way you don't need a 12 stop ND. Maybe ND8? Unless of course, diffraction problems.

ND400 is the max you can find in Singapore. Haven't seen the super-high ones available locally yet. Lords Cameras at Lucky Plaza carries Hoya ones. Don't know about Cokin ones, though.

Small aperture can't help that much and ND8 is not enough....I am not very keen to stack too many filter which may cause vignette on WA....

No one used an Cokin NDX before?:)

You can use a small aperture to get a long shutter speed right? So this way you don't need a 12 stop ND. Maybe ND8? Unless of course, diffraction problems.

Yah, ND400 is 9 stops down, really hope that Cokin NDX is also 9 stops....:)

I wish not to buy screw on type....

ND400 is the max you can find in Singapore. Haven't seen the super-high ones available locally yet. Lords Cameras at Lucky Plaza carries Hoya ones. Don't know about Cokin ones, though.

So bright arh? :bsmilie:

can you try stacking nd filters, actually?

i dont' really see an issue with it, if you are going to post websize

Cokin NDX is a ND10000. It cuts 13-stop.

BC

Sayyyy...if you need such long shutter speeds, ever considered using one of the IR filters? I hear some of them admit quite some visible light and they're probably very dark.

Sayyyy...if you need such long shutter speeds, ever considered using one of the IR filters? I hear some of them admit quite some visible light and they're probably very dark.

not as bad as 13 stops, i think. unless your camera is VERY insensitive to IR.

Doesn't work like ND. ND is neutral. IR filter cuts most visible light but let through IR. The effect is totally different.

BC

if it is only a sunny day, you shoot at beach with ISO 200, you will get 1/200sec at f22, to stop down to 1 sec, you need only 8 stops.

the 13 stops ND filter is use for shooting the Sun, and sometime we use it for stop down the B&W Polaroid instant film to ISO 100. that was many many years back, the only B&W instant film available is ISO3000.

if it is only a sunny day, you shoot at beach with ISO 200, you will get 1/200sec at f22, to stop down to 1 sec, you need only 8 stops.

the 13 stops ND filter is use for shooting the Sun, and sometime we use it for stop down the B&W Polaroid instant film to ISO 100. that was many many years back, the only B&W instant film available is ISO3000.

How abt shooting silky water flowing effect? how many stops ND to use in a bright day?

TIA

How abt shooting silky water flowing effect? how many stops ND to use in a bright day?

TIA
all you need is slow shuttle speed, usually we don't shoot in bright day, best time is dusk, unless you are shooting in under shade.

so, 3 stops ND filter is good enough, and you cut down shutter speed between 1/8sec to 15 sec depends on on the speed of the flow of water.

hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.