Nature Prevail

Tuckzz

Sep 13, 2013
Singapore
1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition of photo and the mood achieved

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A somewhat artistic picture. The picture aims to show that nature working together is more of a beauty.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Sun setting, passed by the sparkling pond reflecting off the sun, taken near the art science museum.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

It is one of the more special picture taken by me, composition wise I don't know how I could have made it more interesting.
I quite like the lighting in this photo

9736889606_79f1161d12_c.jpg

Last edited:
nice almost monochromatic feel.
but the layers of water lilies / lotus leaves are too many...there are ard 3 distinct bunches, leading the viewer way way way away from the buildinds. I feel 1 would have sufficed.

hmm for me, i think it's too underexposed.

composition-wise, the buildings are like what shizuma says, the bunches of lily pads are leading the viewers' eyes away from the building.

if you want to showcase that nature prevails, do a shot of the reflections on the water with the growth of lily pads covering over it. (as if nature has overgrown man-made buildings)

here's an example:

9721803665_8778137618_o.jpg

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309046&p=8586020#post8586020

Thanks for the advices, will take the composition advice into consideration next time when snapping. As for the exposure though I intended the picture to have sort of a silhouette in it.

Thanks for the advices, will take the composition advice into consideration next time when snapping. As for the exposure though I intended the picture to have sort of a silhouette in it.

understood the silhouette part, but the lilies are still underexposed to be seen clearly. maybe you should use a GND filter.

Just to comment on the title. When I saw "Nature Prevail", I had the preconceived notion of at least seeing ferns and bushes over-running some man-made objects, or solitary natural element that stands in defiance of a man-made environment - that kinda stuff. So it's a bit disappointing when the shot turns out be plants that are sculpted to fit into an artificial environment. The element of "prevail" is non-existent. You mentioned "picture aims to show that nature working together", but this is in contradiction vs prevailing, which indicates conflict instead of working together.

This is a very common problem with this section. Often the title (which is the first impression) gives rise to expectations that the images failed to rise up to. Be aware how your titles are given and how viewers might react.

Others may disagree but that's how I see it.
:)

Just to comment on the title. When I saw "Nature Prevail", I had the preconceived notion of at least seeing ferns and bushes over-running some man-made objects, or solitary natural element that stands in defiance of a man-made environment - that kinda stuff. So it's a bit disappointing when the shot turns out be plants that are sculpted to fit into an artificial environment. The element of "prevail" is non-existent. You mentioned "picture aims to show that nature working together", but this is in contradiction vs prevailing, which indicates conflict instead of working together.

This is a very common problem with this section. Often the title (which is the first impression) gives rise to expectations that the images failed to rise up to. Be aware how your titles are given and how viewers might react.

Others may disagree but that's how I see it.
:)

exactly how i see it too