Nature Conservation: Saving the Harlequin

Interested to know what's the development after 6 months.
Do the Butts survive in the new place?
Might be very difficult for them to sustain the survival in the new area.

Interested to know what's the development after 6 months.
Do the Butts survive in the new place?
Might be very difficult for them to sustain the survival in the new area.

Hi Pixelated ,

Apologies for the late reply , missed it till just now!:embrass:

Thank you for dropping by and show interest and concern on the progress of the Harlequin!

From my record they have survived and successfully propagate on-site for up to 17 months after released .

On 18th June 2009 2 adults were sighted and recorded, this was 17 months after the last release on early January 2008. With their life span ( from egg to adult to natural death) of approx.40 days . These two individuals would have being at least the 13th Generation of those released on January 2008.

With the additional reinforcement carried out on November to December 2009 by Hortpark nursery and myself, these would further enhance their chances of survival, and standing on the new site.

Regular visits are still being make on the release site, but it is difficult to spot and monitor them in the wild . Basing on actual sighting we have experienced it is likely they are doing fine quietly on site .

We are quite confident that someone will encounter them on site from now till mid 2011 and hopefully for many more years to come.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Pixelated ,

Apologies for the late reply , missed it till just now!:embrass:

Thank you for dropping by and show interest and concern on the progress of the Harlequin!

From my record they have survived and successfully propagate on-site for up to 17 months after released .

On 18th June 2009 2 adults were sighted and recorded, this was 17 months after the last release on early January 2008. With their life span ( from egg to adult to natural death) of approx.40 days . These two individuals would have being at least the 13th Generation of those released on January 2008.

With the additional reinforcement carried out on November to December 2009 by Hortpark nursery and myself, these would further enhance their chances of survival, and standing on the new site.

Regular visits are still being make on the release site, but it is difficult to spot and monitor them in the wild . Basing on actual sighting we have experienced it is likely they are doing fine quietly on site .

We are quite confident that someone will encounter them on site from now till mid 2011 and hopefully for many more years to come.

Cheers!

I have read through this thread for the first time today and I am greatly impressed with the determination you and your colleagues have applied to this conservation project. A worthy cause and deserved success:thumbsup:.

Thank you for recording the events so well in this thread.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your kind words!!

Cheers!

Nice capture. Need to learn macro photography soon.

I just chanced upon this sticky and I have to say I'm very impressed with the amount of work and determination that has been put into this conservation project! It's an admirable effort and project! Looking forward to see more pics of them as they breed and increase in numbers!

- Ethan of Life List Chase

Last edited:
Adios my friend !

These are perhaps the last two shots that I had taken of the Harlequin in Singapore...... I wish someone could prove me wrong !

From Apr 2006 till my last visit on 16th March 2013 they had always being there to greet me when I dropped in to say " Hello" .........even in the last two years when they were forced into a small area of about 10 square meters, there were always a few flitting away in that confined area .

Today, for the first time, they were totally absent ............YES, NOT a Single one ! The day that we dreaded finally came !:(

Thank you for the Memories .....

Taxila haquinus haquinus (The Harlequin)

16th March 2013 Singapore

Mr Harlequin

Mrs Harlequin

Adios my friend !

These are perhaps the last two shots that I had taken of the Harlequin in Singapore...... I wish someone could prove me wrong !

From Apr 2006 till my last visit on 16th March 2013 they had always being there to greet me when I dropped in to say " Hello" .........even in the last two years when they were forced into a small area of about 10 square meters, there were always a few flitting away in that confined area .

Today, for the first time, they were totally absent ............YES, NOT a Single one ! The day that we dreaded finally came !:(

Thank you for the Memories .....

Taxila haquinus haquinus (The Harlequin)

16th March 2013 Singapore

Mr Harlequin

Mrs Harlequin

Thank You for your great effort, a very sad day indeed. I really hope that and wish someone can prove you wrong ..... :( :cry:

Keep up the good work! A cheering thread in the face of media reports about the earth dying and species going extinct.
Much more interesting than the usual run-of-the-mill stuff