Nature Conservation: Saving the Harlequin

Woolman,

Thank you for the encouragement!

Cheerss!

Updtate : The Harlequin are Surviving at Release Site A

On routine checking of Site A this morning, I was pleasantly surprised by meeting 3 pristine individuals, two females and one male fluttering high up on a fishtail palm at site A.

Basing on a life cycle time of approx. 28 days and adult life span of approx. 14 days , the last insertion of adults into site A being on 8th Jan 08 . These 3 adult Harlequins must be at least the second generation of those released under the project.

Let's hope they will continue to thrive on the site which is not expected to be threatened by development.

A cheap shot of a female taken this morning.

2008_03_30_IMG_05078.jpg

Just read thru this thread ... great effort by all involved. What do u know, discovered on my B'day somemore. Kudos guys & Bro Bluesteel :clap:

Bro SabaDen ,

Thank you !

We are still monitoring the original site and the new sites.

Another breeding program will be effected when we have gather more field data.

Cheers!

Two males Harlequins had been sighted at Release Site A by a ButterflyCircle member today !!
:cheers::cheers::cheers:​

Meaning after the last insertion on Jan 08 they have managed to propagate and survive on site for almost 18 months.

Saving the Harlequin Part III will be launched to seal this success in saving them by reinforcing more butterfly in strengthening their foothold on the new site!

Cheers!

For details brief of the "Save the Harlequin Project" refer to :

Saving the Harlequin Part I

Saving the Harlequin Part II

Last edited:
Saving the Harlequin Part III

ButterflyCircle has met up with JTC , the developers of the site where the Harlequin is found. Taking a look at the site plans, the entire Harlequin ground will be wiped out permanently. We have a window period of only 6 months before the tractors move in to level the place.

Whilst it cannot be avoided, JTC has asked ButterflyCircle to help in the translocation of the remaining population of the Harlequin, host plants and whatever that we can salvage from the site. We are co-ordinating with JTC and Nparks to assist in the the Final Translocation on Saving the Harlequin Part III

We hope the experience gained in the last two projects, in breeding the butterflies and introducing them to new locations can save this species from going extinct from Singapore main island .

Read all about ButterflyCircle's earlier efforts to translocate the Harlequin.

Saving the Harlequin I
Saving the Harlequin II

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks Peng Eik !

We are still in the process of co-ordinating with the various parties. Will certainly welcome members help when the plan is finalized.

Some initial ground work has been laid for the breeding plan in collaboration with HortPark .

Here is a shot of a male from the site today.

_K3_0860.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Update:

All groundwork has been laid for Saving the Harlequin Part III.

We are still awaiting Nparks and JTC on their official sanction on the last push to save this species... before the site is wiped out by Jan/Feb next year.

..... as you know big organizations work in rather slow and mysterious way.:(

The final effort to save this species is bogged down with red tape ...........

This is purely a personal effort :

14 adults that eclosed this morning will be released onto site A later in the day , weather permitting .

In hand another 40 odd pupae awaiting eclosion and 50 cats at 3rd instar.

Due to the red tapes and difficulties involved in getting the various authorities to walk their talk. is purely a personal effort, not link to any organisation or site.

Personally to hell with all these bureaucracy ! What is important, to me that is , is to give this rather rare species a chance to survive..........everything else is nonsense!

Cheers!

Last edited:
The final effort to save this species is bogged down with red tape ...........

This is purely a personal effort :

14 adults that eclosed this morning will be released onto site A later in the day , weather permitting .

In hand another 40 odd pupae awaiting eclosion and 50 cats at 3rd instar.

Due to the red tapes and difficulties involved in getting the various authorities to walk their talk. is purely a personal effort, not link to any organisation or site.

Personally to hell with all these bureaucracy ! What is important, to me that is , is to give this rather rare species a chance to survive..........everything else is nonsense!

Cheers!

Well done. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway this confirms what many ppl say of the civil service - and how true, here it goes (a direct translation from Hokkien):

"Whether work or don't work just wait for the 10th of each month (pay day)" - Cos the pay will automatically go into your pocket :devil:

Last edited:

Anyway this confirms what many ppl say of the civil service - and how true, here it goes (a direct translation from Hokkien):

"Whether work not don't work just wait for the 10th of each month (pay day)" - Cos the pay will automatically go into your pocket :devil:

Rules are regulations are men made an men regulated. These rules are well intended, however , if those regulating them are more concerned with the authority vested in them than the spirit of these rules. They are no better than a non- thinking PC and perhaps they should be replaced with a dumb PC.

I will be doing this last leg of the project WITHOUT the sanction of Nparks Biodiversity Centre and JTC ( the owner of the land).

The site will be demolished in 3 months time. If these people want to throw their book at me to show their authority and also indifference they are most welcome to do so!

Like-minded nature loving people at ClubSnap who want to lend a helping hand, you are welcome to PM me .

Cheers!

Last edited:

"Whether work not don't work just wait for the 10th of each month (pay day)" - Cos the pay will automatically go into your pocket :devil:

Rules are regulations are men made an men regulated. These rules are well intended, however , if those regulating them are more concerned with the authority vested in them than the spirit of these rules. They are no better than a non- thinking PC and perhaps they should be replaced with a dumb PC.

I will be doing this last leg of the project WITHOUT the sanction of Nparks Biodiversity Centre and JTC ( the owner of the land).

And if they want to throw their book at me to show their authority and also indifference they are most welcome to do so!

Like-minded nature loving people who want to lend a helping hand are welcome to PM me .

Cheers!

Last edited:

The site will be demolished in 3 months time. If these people want to throw their book at me to show their authority and also indifference they are most welcome to do so!

Like-minded nature loving people at ClubSnap who want to lend a helping hand, you are welcome to PM me .

Cheers!

Ensuring rules and regulations are followed is easy and does not need much effort.

However, writing justification and going out of the way to get waived etc entails lots of time and paperwork and doesn't contribute anything towards the person appraisal and KPI so of course things like these to them are bothersome and not worth any effort from them.

Let me know if I can help in any way

Once again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for your effort

Another batch of approx. 30 Harlequin bred from eggs were released in the last two days.

3 year old Luke has been giving a helping hand on this last batch, on feeding and cleaning from 5th instar caterpillars to eclosion. He was given the honor of releasing them.
_K3_0152.jpg

_K3_0148.jpg

_K3_0142.jpg

_K3_0154.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Kudos to Sunny and Butterfly Circle. Keep up the good work! A cheering thread in the face of media reports about the earth dying and species going extinct.

Much more interesting than the usual run-of-the-mill stuff :thumbsup:

Thank You velasco and ahsim for the kind words !

Just doing my part to ensure future generation have a chance to admire this little beauty.

A batch of approx 26 adults from the site was trans-located to site A.

1DMK3----0629---30_12_2009.jpg

Another 10 adults were retained for another batch of eggs to breed them to pupae prior to releasing to the wild.

1DMK3----0640---30_12_2009.jpg