Natural beauty in concrete jungle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwttan

Jan 8, 2010
Concrete jungle
BP-Reservoir2.jpg

Pic#1

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composure, technique and others

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
Hoping that viewing can feel the peace feeling in this image, as most of Singaporean are staying in HDB flats (concrete jungle).

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Picture taken during an evening (6.00-6.30pm) stroll around Bt Panjang reservoir

Shuttle: 1/60
Aperture: f/11
Focal length: 28mm
Exposure: Aperture priority

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Balance of natural (water, park) and concrete jungle (HDB flats and building)

Last edited:
I recommend you post a larger version of your picture.

I can't see properly.

4 posts and ts's photo still not critiqued... :sweat:

*cracking fingers* here goes... ermmm... imho....

composition doesn't quite fit the title I think. But what do you have in mind about natural beauty? The reflected image, the trees?? From my judgement, I can't see natural beauty in it.

1. stones on the left seems like have really spoiled the image. The leading lines from the left doesn't seem to go anywhere and it look really stuck out and breaking the wonderful looking reflection.

2. the stillness of the water may give it a bit of peaceful...but just that bit.

3. How deep is the water? will you be able to get into the water for a shot?

4. The photo probably need more "natural" elements in it for a bit more "balance"

There is no jungle in this picture, a pond at best and worst an artificial one.
You have an idea, did you get it before taking the picture or after while discovering it on your computer screen ?
I guess it's the later.
Never mind, keep the idea and think at the way you could express it. For example, you could try to express the strenght of the concrete which is going to destroy nature for sure and for ever! Or you could go the other way round, the strenght of life who survive no matter what !
A picture is seldom the fruit of the hazard.

You have an idea, did you get it before taking the picture or after while discovering it on your computer screen ?
I guess it's the later.
Never mind, keep the idea and think at the way you could express it. For example, you could try to express the strenght of the concrete which is going to destroy nature for sure and for ever! Or you could go the other way round, the strenght of life who survive no matter what !
A picture is seldom the fruit of the hazard.

Guess you did not manage to read what is the term/meaning "concrete jungle" is referring to in my description.

Last edited:

Tooppy,
Singapore is a small country as compare to France, at least 70% of the Singapore residents stay in public housing flats (aka HDB flats). The concrete jungle TS is referring to is the row(s) of flats/buildings at the top of the picture. I guess Singapore does not have many natural lake/pond as compare to France.

Guess you did not manage to read what is the term/meaning "concrete jungle" is referring to in my description.

I agree about the concrete jungle part. But I did not see any natural beauty here. Seems like constructed and artificially landscape beauty. And it is not that beautiful to me compare to some other scenes in singapore.

Ok on to critique:

The picture looks lifeless. a 50-50 split framing does not work here. The sky is overexposed. If you use a GND or pull back some exposure in PP, this would greatly improve the picture.

Sorry, not that interesting a picture to me. Good luck next time.

I agree about the concrete jungle part. But I did not see any natural beauty here. Seems like constructed and artificially landscape beauty. And it is not that beautiful to me compare to some other scenes in singapore.

Ok on to critique:

The picture looks lifeless. a 50-50 split framing does not work here. The sky is overexposed. If you use a GND or pull back some exposure in PP, this would greatly improve the picture.

Sorry, not that interesting a picture to me. Good luck next time.

dd123,
Thanks for your feedback and pointer.

I have been living in S'pore in the seventies and went back a bunch of times since, I consider it as my second home so I know the place well.

You are right I missed it, sorry I read wrongly.
Then if I think of a jungle as something chaotic, wild growing in disorder, in return flats shouldn't. So the term might not be very appropriate, but I guess you meant something like "concrete territory".

You are right I missed it, sorry I read wrongly.
Then if I think of a jungle as something chaotic, wild growing in disorder, in return flats shouldn't. So the term might not be very appropriate, but I guess you meant something like "concrete territory".
erm. the term concrete jungle means many highrise buildings, similiar to a jungle, except tall trees are now ur buildings...

from wiki:
An urban or other populated area containing a high density of buildings constructed of concrete or similar materials, especially one which lacks greenery and which seems unattractive, harsh, or unsafe
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/concrete_jungle

As suggested, made some tuning in PP.

BP-Reservoir-PP.jpg

Pic#2

Last edited:
Now its underexposed!

Try using a GND filter or HDR next time?

Guess will get a GND filter this week. Tune in PP to get in between the 1st and 2nd pic.

BP-Reservoir-PP3.jpg

Pic#3

Last edited:
this kind of photo also dare take out show??? wake up la...

this kind of photo also dare take out show??? wake up la...

Looks like someone has never been taught any manners at school or home. :thumbsd:
Show us what you are capable of :sweatsm:

Guess will get a GND filter this week. Tune in PP to get in between the 1st and 2nd pic.

You also can bracket your shots and do a blending or hdr. However, I would still strongly suggest that you can try to move around to look for a better location for a better composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.