National Service for Woman - my Humble Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zOOm

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
haaa ... I wanted to post my constructive opinion but too bad its closed.

anyway, I feel women should play a part in the national service.
not as solidiers, perhaps as backline support (e.g medical, takecare of the wounded, cooking etc etc)

taking into consideration that generally most singaporean women nowadays (pls correct me if I'm wrong) don't even know how to cook properly, mend clothes and might even faint at the sight of blood or dirt, stench.

hence, I feel that national service could train them to be more prepared in needy times.

2cents

Originally posted by zOOm

taking into consideration that generally most singaporean women nowadays (pls correct me if I'm wrong) don't even know how to cook properly, mend clothes and might even faint at the sight of blood or dirt, stench.

That applies to most guys too. :p

(pls correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm here to correct you. :D

Well, I have no objections to NS for women actually, and like you I think it would be appropriate to let women play a role in backline support. (but those with good enough physique/stamina, can also join the guys on the combat side...)

But govt have to put aside bigger budget for both their NS and civil service payroll liow loh...coz if women do NS too, must also give women that extra increment to compensate for their two years in NS...or maybe to save money they just take away the guys' NS increment to make everything equal? :p

Originally posted by togu

That applies to most guys too. :p

togu,
tend to agree with you too :)
nowadays, NS like holiday camp. compare to the times when first few batches of NS was trained by Israsel soldiers, its very very relaxing already.

but let's not veer off & focus on the national service for female in this thread, could you? start a new thread if you must. Thanks!

[/B]

not true lah .... home economics already saw to cooking & sewing. however nowadays both husband and wife work and i think both should know how to do these 2 tasks. why should the onus be on the woman only?

faint at sight of blood or dirt - guys do that too - i don't think national service is going to make them more immune :p

coz if women do NS too, must also give women that extra increment to compensate for their two years in NS

I don't think it really applies everywhere. Well, not in my company at least, the girls of my same batch have gotten higher pay than guys.
Just wonder how transparent the NS pay compensation is and how many companies really do follow it.

lavenderlilz,
we are talking about cooking & amend clothes, tending to chores & injuried during needy times (READ war, disaster etc) it's totally different situation from what you had in comfortable classroom environment where everything is place nicely for you.

again, let's not veer off, start a new thread on male in NS if you must. Thanks!

Originally posted by lavenderlilz

not true lah .... home economics already saw to cooking & sewing. however nowadays both husband and wife work and i think both should know how to do these 2 tasks. why should the onus be on the woman only?

faint at sight of blood or dirt - guys do that too - i don't think national service is going to make them more immune :p

Hahaha.. how true, given the emphasis on safety nowadays.

yes yes, of course, compensation, that what most singaporean think, money to compensate for their lost time, but disregard to knowledage & experience that they will gain along the way :(

but government is rich what?! :) so no money problem.
perhaps women wanna step in to volunteer if they feel they can make the contribution? we are a equal & open society right?

Originally posted by Zookeeper

I'm here to correct you. :D

Well, I have no objections to NS for women actually, and like you I think it would be appropriate to let women play a role in backline support. (but those with good enough physique/stamina, can also join the guys on the combat side...)

But govt have to put aside bigger budget for both their NS and civil service payroll liow loh...coz if women do NS too, must also give women that extra increment to compensate for their two years in NS...or maybe to save money they just take away the guys' NS increment to make everything equal? :p

Originally posted by taicw

I don't think it really applies everywhere. Well, not in my company at least, the girls of my same batch have gotten higher pay than guys.
Just wonder how transparent the NS pay compensation is and how many companies really do follow it.

I said "civil service" mah. :)

yes yes, of course, compensation, that what most singaporean think, money to compensate for their lost time, but disregard to knowledage & experience that they will gain along the way :(

Ok, when I start up my company, I'll hire you, ok? Pay you minimum wage, after all, you'll have plenty of knowledge and experience that you'll gain as the BSBH man, that surely will exceed the pay of our ministers!

To me I dun really care about compensation, but since civil service do compensate the guys, only fair that they do the same for ladies too. :)

but government is rich what?! :) so no money problem.
perhaps women wanna step in to volunteer if they feel they can make the contribution? we are a equal & open society right?
[/B]

Well I won't volunteer. I'm sure many guys won't volunteer either - most of them are in only because NS is compulsory.
But that's only me. I'm sure there will be a fair share of ladies who would want to contribute, just as there are some guys who truly enjoy NS.

lavenderlilz,
we are talking about cooking & amend clothes, tending to chores & injuried during needy times (READ war, disaster etc) it's totally different situation from what you had in comfortable classroom environment where everything is place nicely for you.

again, let's not veer off, start a new thread on male in NS if you must. Thanks!

Zoom

yes i know you are referring to war & disaster. I am just speaking from a female perspective ie we have been taught in class & its up to us whether we are going to practice it in real life like now. It sounded like only gals got to be responsible for those things & I think its not really fair.

If there is war/disaster, we gals are already equipped to deal with it ie the physical aspect of it. If there is anything anybody is not prepared for - I think it would be more the pyschological aspect of war / disaster than anything else.

No-I have no intention of starting any thread on males in NS.

Dear YSLee,
I think you are going off the main topic, can you stick to it? thanks! :) again, we are talking about national service for women, possibly 2yrs duration, about the same as man.

we don't want to discuss the "who should get more pay then who" sensitive topic. start a new thread if you must.

Originally posted by YSLee

Ok, when I start up my company, I'll hire you, ok? Pay you minimum wage, after all, you'll have plenty of knowledge and experience that you'll gain as the BSBH man, that surely will exceed the pay of our ministers!

It sounded like only gals got to be responsible for those things & I think its not really fair.

Agree with lavenderlilz. Maybe guys who are adept at cooking, tending to the wounded, mending clothes, etc. should be transferred to do these, while gals who can fly (lady pilots!) or those who can handle those high-tech equipment can put their expertise to good use. :) Point is to utilise resources to the max, regardless of gender.

Amazing Zoom, anyone who disagrees with you is asked to start a new thread. Can't take the heat?

LOLz, I try, the most close shop lor :)
I wanna find out how amazing clubsnappers are. (more heat coming? :D ) I never disagree, I just find its offtopic :dunno:

Amazing Zoom, anyone who disagrees with you is asked to start a new thread. Can't take the heat?

just for interest, perhaps this is closely linked to the topic;
what if they make it compulsory? will singaporen women migrate, married oversea?

Originally posted by Zookeeper

Well I won't volunteer. I'm sure many guys won't volunteer either - most of them are in only because NS is compulsory.
But that's only me. I'm sure there will be a fair share of ladies who would want to contribute, just as there are some guys who truly enjoy NS.

LOLz :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

its up to us whether we are going to practice it in real life like now.
what if they make it compulosry?

It sounded like only gals got to be responsible for those things & I think its not really fair.
no no no, I really don't that gals should only do this.
all this while, those things are done by guys themselves.
but if guys going out for war or digging & mending ruins of disaster, saving people lives.

wouldn't it be good if gals do the backline support, unless, they are too keen to go fighting in the war too.

women can also step in to help manage/organize the chaotic war/disaster situation; it not easy.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz If there is war/disaster, we gals are already equipped to deal with it ie the physical aspect of it. If there is anything anybody is not prepared for - I think it would be more the pyschological aspect of war / disaster than anything else.[/B]
hmm ... tough woman you are :thumbsup:

pyshological aspact of war/disaster, true, so who can help to manage while guys are out fighting or saving people out of ruins.

Status
Not open for further replies.