National Geography Photographers Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick

May 17, 2002
Singapore
www.derrickchoo.com
There's a series of programs profiling the NG photographers starting tonight. Tonight's episode is at 9pm NG channel. Can others update this thread whenever they know other episodes of this series is shown with the day and time? Thanx.

more info

_ Dave Harvey : Episode 1
_
This film profiles the life and work of one of the world's most talented color photographers--David Alan Harvey. We travel with Harvey to Brazil during Carnival to watch him in action. But does David Alan Harvey's on-the-road lifestyle live up to the romantic image? We'll find out as David shares his life--including some of his triumphs and his disappointments.
_
Next on air
_ 14 October 2002, 9:00 pm
_ 15 October 2002, 2:00 am

Karen Davies : Episode 2
_
_ This film profiles the life and work of British photographer Karen Davies. Growing up in London, as the daughter of a BBC news editor, Karen quickly developed an interest in hard news journalism. Her images of the forgotten orphanages of Albania, the Irish conflict, and human struggle in Africa solidified her reputation in publications worldwide. We travel with her to Pakistan on a recent assignment to photograph General Pervez Musharraf.
_
Next on air
_ 21 October 2002, 10:00 pm
_ 22 October 2002, 3:00 am

Adam Ravetch : Episode 3
_
_ This film profiles the life and work of arctic photographer Adam Ravetch. We travel with Ravetch to Northern Canada, where the risks are among the highest, but so are the rewards. Ravetch is famous for capturing rare animal behavior and this time he is looking to film a polar bear actually attacking a walrus. Our film shows how Ravetch balances this dangerous life with his family life and answers the question: How much risk is really worth it?
_
Next on air
_ 28 October 2002, 10:00 pm
_ 29 October 2002, 3:00 am

Missed the first episode.

Anyone caught it on video that I can borrow?

Thx,
Jeffery

Originally posted by Jeffery
Missed the first episode.

Anyone caught it on video that I can borrow?

Thx,
Jeffery

There was a repeat telecast at 2am this morning and 7am this morning also ;P

BTW, did anyone noticed the camera he was using on his assignment? What was that viewfinder/rangefinder camera he was using??

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh

BTW, did anyone noticed the camera he was using on his assignment? What was that viewfinder/rangefinder camera he was using??

Leica M6 rangefinders. I heard his fav lens is 35mm f1.4 .

Originally posted by Jason Ho

Leica M6 rangefinders. I heard his fav lens is 35mm f1.4 .

yup M6 is his camera of choice, and most of his pictures are with the 35 f1.4. His entire lens arsenal is only: 28 f2.8, 35 f1.4 and 50 f1.4.

That's it. And i heard he shot stock car racing before also only with those lenses. His flash is also a very basic Vivitar 283, which he used in manual mode. So he's a minimalist kind of photographer.

He once said "i'm basically nothing more than a street photographer using Velvia" ;)

And yes, all his pics have that saturated and high contrast look typical of using slide film on pple.....

anyway the web has lots of info about him. For anyone interested, just do a search on David Alan Harvey in Google....

also, i have his Cuba book and the pictures inside are really amazing. It's the best way to see his pictures other than seeing his slides in person. Pictures on the web or on TV don't do his work justice!

Hmm I wonder if there will be an increase of Leica M6 owners after this NGC shows :p

Hmm I wonder if there will be an increase of Leica M6 owners after this NGC shows :p

haha! but then again, he's been around for a loooooong time, not a recent discovery or something.

And there are many other illustrious Leica M6 users who also shot colour eg Alex Webb, William Albert Allard etc.

But i think David Alan Harvey has been given more coverage and publicity because he used to work on staff at National Geographic. So his profile is a bit higher than his other colleagues at Magnum Photos.......

Tonight at 9pm on NGC there's another program that features another famous NG photographer Michael "Nick" Nichols (Indiana Jones of Photography). He was just part of the main team so i dunno how much they would feature him. I think he also uses a Leica M6 as part of his gear..... can see some of his work plus notes from this program at this link (on the left hand side):-

here

About last night's program.... the guy's brand new M6 which he opened in the morning kena stolen at night. :cry: Hope something like that never happens to me.

the viewfinder attached to the top of the camera is actually an external finder that is optional. i believe he use the external finder for his 28mm........

Originally posted by Derrick
....About last night's program.... the guy's brand new M6 which he opened in the morning kena stolen at night. :cry: Hope something like that never happens to me.

Ya, and he said its not the camera he minds, its the roll of film inside the camera that matters!
:eek:

All featured photographers use Leica M6? hmmm or is it coincidental :p

haha i'm sure it's just coincidental. Next week's featured photographer Karen Davis confirm don't use Leica :)

actually i dun think Mike Nichols (the guy supposed to be featured tonight) uses the M6, but after seeing that link in the other thread, i'm not so sure now. maybe he changed systems....

i always thought he uses Nikon.

Ya, and he said its not the camera he minds, its the roll of film inside the camera that matters!

btw, he did recover the camera - that's not in the documentary. I believe that documentary was made one year ago and that he was working on his Bolivia feature story in South America when the film was made.

He recovered it when one year later he returned to the same place, and mentioned to another guy he lost his camera here. That guy led him to the vililage headman or something like that, who produced the camera and said that someone had found it.

And the camera was reunited with David in exactly the same state he last saw it. No mention of whether the roll of fim is still inside or whether he did develop that roll of film.

This saga was mentioned in the National Geographic website in his recent Boliva feature story, but i can't seem to locate the link to that story anymore.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

btw, he did recover the camera - that's not in the documentary. I believe that documentary was made one year ago and that he was working on his Bolivia feature story in South America when the film was made.

He recovered it when one year later he returned to the same place, and mentioned to another guy he lost his camera here. That guy led him to the vililage headman or something like that, who produced the camera and said that someone had found it.

And the camera was reunited with David in exactly the same state he last saw it. No mention of whether the roll of fim is still inside or whether he did develop that roll of film.

This saga was mentioned in the National Geographic website in his recent Boliva feature story, but i can't seem to locate the link to that story anymore.

Glups, thats very lucky. I am just wondering how well paid are those NGC photographers or those photographers doing assignments for NG.

Hi

ok I goofed. Just realised when I mentioned Bolivia, i actually meant Bahia :p

Both are in South America but Bolivia was a much earlier assignment of his. Bahia is the more recent one, and is the one i believe was featured in the TV program on David Alan Harvey.

Btw i managed to find the link in the NG website which talks a bit about the Bahia story:

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0208/feature5/index.html

Here's the page where David recounted his loss of his camera, and how he eventually found it.....

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0208/feature5/assignment2.html

in terms of potential dollar value, the roll is prolly worth more than the Leica... (i.e. he can probably sell the photos inside for more than the cam's worth). :D

Tonight and tommorrow night got somemore at 9pm (taken from NG asia site):-

TODAY:Vietnam’s Unseen War: Pictures from the Other Side

Over a quarter of a century ago, a twenty-year-old hippie fled the English suburbs to wander through India and Laos - and found himself in a divided land devastated by war. Here he became one of a small band of civilian freelance photographers willing to take outrageous risks. Legendary photojournalist Tim Page returns to Vietnam - the land where he nearly lost his life - to seek out photographers from the other side; to learn more about the war and to rescue remarkable pictures long hidden by time and tragedy.

TOMMORROW:Isabel Ellsen

Described by Time magazine as “a Renaissance woman at the end of the 20th century,” Isabel Ellsen is a novelist, screenwriter, and photographer. A beautiful French woman now in her late 30s, Isabel broke into war photography in the late 1980s when her poignant photographs of Tianamen Square secured her a place in the male-dominated specialty. She covered all the major wars in Europe over the past decade, and won international awards for her work during the Gulf War. Isabel sees her life as an ongoing adventure. A feature film based on a novel she wrote about her experiences in Kosovo is currently in production, starring Andie McDowell as Isabel. An extraordinary woman, successful writer, and brilliant photographer, Isabel believes that her most worthwhile achievement to date is having continuously reinvented herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.