Nat Geo: Grisly Whaling Video Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
whales are endangered, i guess that's why there's all this attention.. along with perhaps the fact that they are usually portrayed in various cartoons, etc in a positive light

no such thing for fish, or sharks, or birds' nest being destroyed for enjoyment

we shall not start on the plants.

but i will not deny it, i feel nothing when i look at this gallery. not everyone can stomach the blood though, so please don't click if you're weak-stomached, i don't know everyone's tolerance levels.

the scientific research is the only legal excuse they can have for whaling...of course we all know that they're whaling for food, but you can't expect them to say that when it's banned. thanks for sharing though

Do these "fishermen" really take us for 3 year olds?

I don't think they really care what you or anyone else in the world thinks.

For them, there is indeed a cultural and ancestral tradition (same as fox hunting in England, for instance), and the more anyone condemns and opposes them, the more they feel they are being backed into a corner.

Frankly, on the scale of things, the no of whales killed compared to the no of other animals killed by man (whether for food, for fur, for sport, etc) is really miniscule. One wonders why no one (other than committed vegetarians) stands up for chickens, ducks, ostriches, turkeys, etc. Yet meat-eating people will complain vocally when when "cute" animals like whales, dogs, etc. are killed for food, but keep totally silent when cows, chickens, ducks, pigs, etc. are killed for food.

perhaps it's because we're so used to accepting cows chickens ducks etc as the "accepted" food source? so it's technically alright to eat them..but when you go for something outside of this list like even snakes, people start to react to it, though at varying degrees.

For them, there is indeed a cultural and ancestral tradition (same as fox hunting in England, for instance), and the more anyone condemns and opposes them, the more they feel they are being backed into a corner.

Frankly, on the scale of things, the no of whales killed compared to the no of other animals killed by man (whether for food, for fur, for sport, etc) is really miniscule. One wonders why no one (other than committed vegetarians) stands up for chickens, ducks, ostriches, turkeys, etc. Yet meat-eating people will complain vocally when when "cute" animals like whales, dogs, etc. are killed for food, but keep totally silent when cows, chickens, ducks, pigs, etc. are killed for food.

The difference being fox hunting has been banned for several years now.
People make a bigger deal about the whales because they have a dwindling population, and global warming isnt going to help the matter, however, cows and chickens have been bred for food, thats the only reason there are so many of them. The Japanese are taking the whales without putting anything back. If they were breeding the whales for this purpose then the response may be different, but they arnt. And compared to population counts of the animals, the number of whales being killed is pretty big compared to its small population. So minuscule doesnt really fit here.

1. Whaling has been banned too, so the analogy is good*. Of course, a provision for scientific research has been made, which is why the Japanese can continue in their activities. But the point is that, it's rooted in tradition, and the more people condemn them for it, the more defensive they become. That's why screening National Geographic videos isn't going to help.

2. Your point about dwindling whale population may be applicable, but my observation is that some people make noise whenever cute animals are killed, regardless of the size of their populations. Dogs, for instance, are eaten in winter in China. And all the dog lovers will then make lots of noise-- obviously it's not because they are endangered species. Same applies for rabbits, turtles, etc.

3. The third point relates to cruelty. No doubt killing of whales is cruel, but it seems people can ignore how battery chickens live and die, how cruel their entire life is, while making noise about whales.

4. As for putting things back, you can't put wild fish back. Not tuna, not mackerel, not sardine. The only thing people can do is to not kill fish below a certain size, so that they can breed at least once before they are caught. So please don't lay this on the whalers.

* I follow UK news and I don't think fox hunting has been banned, but the point is to use it as an analogy.

Wai Leong
===
The difference being fox hunting has been banned for several years now.
People make a bigger deal about the whales because they have a dwindling population, and global warming isnt going to help the matter, however, cows and chickens have been bred for food, thats the only reason there are so many of them. The Japanese are taking the whales without putting anything back. If they were breeding the whales for this purpose then the response may be different, but they arnt. And compared to population counts of the animals, the number of whales being killed is pretty big compared to its small population. So minuscule doesnt really fit here.

1. Whaling has been banned too, so the analogy is good*. Of course, a provision for scientific research has been made, which is why the Japanese can continue in their activities. But the point is that, it's rooted in tradition, and the more people condemn them for it, the more defensive they become. That's why screening National Geographic videos isn't going to help.

2. Your point about dwindling whale population may be applicable, but my observation is that some people make noise whenever cute animals are killed, regardless of the size of their populations. Dogs, for instance, are eaten in winter in China. And all the dog lovers will then make lots of noise-- obviously it's not because they are endangered species. Same applies for rabbits, turtles, etc.

3. The third point relates to cruelty. No doubt killing of whales is cruel, but it seems people can ignore how battery chickens live and die, how cruel their entire life is, while making noise about whales.

4. As for putting things back, you can't put wild fish back. Not tuna, not mackerel, not sardine. The only thing people can do is to not kill fish below a certain size, so that they can breed at least once before they are caught. So please don't lay this on the whalers.

* I follow UK news and I don't think fox hunting has been banned, but the point is to use it as an analogy.

Wai Leong
===

Im pretty sure a law was passed to prevent fox hunting.

2. and 3. I agree with you, but not all of us moan about the dogs or ignore the cruelty battery chickens face.

As for 4. no you cant put it back, but you can have tuna, sardines, salmon farms, its been done, you are then not endangering the wild population. And why do we need to kill whales for scientific research, surely there is a better way of doing this. Tradition or not, times change and tradition have to be dropped otherwise the planet will fall into disarray.

1. You can't put wild fish back. By definition, wild fish are wild, which is why fishermen sail out to the open ocean in their trawlers to catch them.

Of course, you can farm fish like salmon, but then they are no longer fishermen, they would be farmers.

But you cannot farm sharks, whales, tigers, etc. if you want to eat them for food. They are just too big and too wild animals to farm.

2. You can go tell the Japanese to change their tradition if you want to. I'm sure people have tried to thousands of times before. It's not changed their view on whaling.

As for 4. no you cant put it back, but you can have tuna, sardines, salmon farms, its been done, you are then not endangering the wild population. And why do we need to kill whales for scientific research, surely there is a better way of doing this. Tradition or not, times change and tradition have to be dropped otherwise the planet will fall into disarray.

whales are endangered, i guess that's why there's all this attention.. along with perhaps the fact that they are usually portrayed in various cartoons, etc in a positive light

but i will not deny it, i feel nothing when i look at this gallery. not everyone can stomach the blood though, so please don't click if you're weak-stomached, i don't know everyone's tolerance levels.

Agree.
generally,Nothing becomes legislative until people view it as an issue.

Stop buying Japanese cameras, Japanese TVs, Japanese household appliances, anyone?

Well, us Asians are notorious with wildlife exploitation to this day... the massacre of sharks, turtles, tigers, elephants, and other endanged (and now extinct) species for "medicine" or "food"... If it ain't farmed, it's not sustainable...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zep7B1esW-M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2UKgLsOhRM

1. You can't put wild fish back. By definition, wild fish are wild, which is why fishermen sail out to the open ocean in their trawlers to catch them.

Of course, you can farm fish like salmon, but then they are no longer fishermen, they would be farmers.

But you cannot farm sharks, whales, tigers, etc. if you want to eat them for food. They are just too big and too wild animals to farm.

since noone can put back something to the wild, DON'T take too much.
The problem now is that they are taking so much that it become extinct.
But well... if the whale really gone from this planet, those buggers will lose their business anyway.

Over-fishing (not just of whales) is a topic that has been discussed for a long time. That's why there are laws about what size of fish can be caught, what size of nets can be used, and what types of techniques are allowed (eg dynamite fishing is illegal).

Over-fishing (not just of whales) is a topic that has been discussed for a long time. That's why there are laws about what size of fish can be caught, what size of nets can be used, and what types of techniques are allowed (eg dynamite fishing is illegal).
These are usually just what many consider "guidelines" so far, I've not come across any local, except 1 of my friend, (sports)fisherman that practice the trap and release, especially asians.

Many I believe go by the rule, "if you don't get caught it's not illegal" and they feel proud to show off that enforcement is lax and nobody can do anything to them.

Because these people need a job....hehehehe........ when I go jobless, I will lobby for chicken killing...

There will be :
- CHICKEN GOD
- KFC will be banned worldwide
- Chicken flu will be a norm
- Geylang 'chicken' will be rename as pig...... chicken will be a HOLY name.........
- When someone say 'chicken!!' in your face, its means you are brave and almighty!!!

since noone can put back something to the wild, DON'T take too much.
The problem now is that they are taking so much that it become extinct.
But well... if the whale really gone from this planet, those buggers will lose their business anyway.

I want my children to be able to see real whales not just on DVDs. I missed out seeing the Mammoth, the Dodo, Siberian Tiger etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.