Namtso, Tibet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemes`S

May 18, 2004
dsc0267ne3.jpg

taken at Namtso, Tibet.

Namtso is the world's highest freshwater lake at over 4000m above sea level. i was trying to capture the magnitude of nature's forces with the angry clouds funneling towards the horizon and the shore of the lake in the foreground coupled with the sea-lookalike lake in the middleground, and that solitary man in the right. blue sky on the right provides slight relief to all that forbodingness.

nikon d70s
shutter: 1/250
aperture: f8.0
focal length: 18mm
iso: 200
shot: 3 may, 2006

do give me your comments, please! thanks!

1st thing - horizon is tilted. 2nd - the dull sky is a big turn off. Have you consider shooting in landscape mode and include less of the sky?

taken at Namtso, Tibet.
Namtso is the world's highest freshwater lake at over 4000m above sea level. i was trying to capture the magnitude of nature's forces with the angry clouds funneling towards the horizon and the shore of the lake in the foreground coupled with the sea-lookalike lake in the middleground, and that solitary man in the right. blue sky on the right provides slight relief to all that forbodingness.

do give me your comments, please! thanks!

Actually, it is the highest altitude saltwater lake in the world at 4,800m rather than being freshwater.

I can imagine how it would actually look like to stare at these cloud formations at Namtso with the man giving a really good sense of scale, with a little peak of the surrounding mountains (which is so expansive and beautiful).

However, the clouds just too plain to draw interest with some really distracting but unpurposeful foreground (in the rocks). Maybe you could have tried framing somebody or something inside the body of the clouds (would be cool if that someone can be silhoutted in a manner that stares in awe at the clouds) to contrast the massiveness of the cloud columns e.g. the 'turtoise head' hill or the many little rock pillings (that Tibetans/Mongolians like to build) or better the chortens around Namtso. You also didn't have enough of the mountain ranges behind.

Technically, f8 to capture foreground rock and infinity background is typically not a good idea. Yeah, Tilted.

Or just dramatically boost the contrast post processing but don't think there is texture in the clouds. It's actually a strange cloud formation (given how BIG lake namtso already is, with the extremely cool mountain ranges), just needs foreground balance.

The photo appears dull even though one of the subjects was the clouds. Perhaps the swirl of the clouds is what gives it the "angry" movement?. What time was the shot taken? Also noticed in the right middle of picture, in the sky there appears an unknown object. Would be good if there were other shots taken with different perspective and orientation (landscape).

Actually your picture did Namtso injustice...on first glance...it doesn't looks Namtso to me at all (I compare your pic with some other forumer's Namtso shot) :dunno:

Second thing is your picture resolution is way too big for people to view it comfortably without scrolling...try to browse through other people posting and take note on what resolution appear the best and most comfortable....unless you are using very high resolution and big screen :lovegrin:

I think its great: nice subtle and precise tonality in the clouds. not easy to get such a smooth feel. Like the moodiness created.

Other aspects apart from tilt:

- a little more brightening of the foreground. More reflections would be nice, but may not be possible.

- change angle so as not to cut silhouetted person into two: either entirely stark against sky or water.

- maybe move in closer and dont need so many pebbles in foreqround, and will get more reflections too I think.

PS: Some PP will go a long long way. I have done it but I cant upload the pic as my online repository is down. But PM me if you want to have a look at it. (also noted that there is quite a lot of barrel distortion in the lens. needed a big correction in PP.)

When i look at the photo, I don't feel the impact of the beauty and vastness of a lake.

I don't see this as a photo of the lake either, "sea-lookalike lake in the middleground" is not shown clearly. Too much foreground and clouds, not enough lake.

The clouds also have not much impact, as mentioned, looks dull.

Just a suggestion, try converting to B&W, increase contrast, fix the tilted horizon, lets see if it'll be better.

Consider using a graduated ND filter to increase exposure in the foreground.

personally i like the greateness of the cloud.. and by adding someone (human) into the pic is good contrast to the powerful side of nature

aye thanx a lot dudes! didn't consider much of the technical stuff that you guys mentioned. the photo wasn't edited at all yeah.

The PP pic:
dsc0267ne3copy.jpg

Hi, I can really feel the awe of the wind current in this pic, and it has a lot to do with the chosen perspective. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

This is despite some lacking on the technical front (and a not entirely relevant title), as others had pointed out. Anyway, I prefer the original pic to the one modified by Espion, the PP in the latter just tone down the AWE factor...:)

I'm just an amateur but I think it's very original (the angle and such)!

Depth of field at smaller apertures can be used for greater focus of both near and far objects. Of course, the photographer may choose not to do so to create the effect he/she wants.

hmm.. meaning dof at f8 is not deep enough? what is a recommended f-stop for this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.