N I N A from DownUnder

Status
Not open for further replies.

glensky

Aug 11, 2004
Pretty model aside, her right eye is OOF.
cant expect both to be focus esp. using lense @2.8..any how shes a real doll.:lovegrin:

Splutter

Dec 28, 2003
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
Why not? 1.2 also can get both eyes in focus, just have to place subject well.
Pretty subject but perhaps can work on the expressions. I understand it's pretty tuff to get it in group shoots though.

modelinn

Apr 3, 2006

Always liked your shots, always so :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
It was intended to be OOF bro..anyway thanks for your comment..

ruel
say what??? intentional out of focus, you said? I say, intended lousy picture, intended bad tchnique. The problem here with your intentional out of focus is that, the degree of out of focus is so small, it did not come across as intentional, it came across as bad tachnique, carelessness!

You managed to ruin a very beautiful model. Those out of focus eyes are so damn annoying.

Rockshox

Mar 24, 2002
Bedroom
www.pbase.com
say what??? intentional out of focus, you said? I say, intended lousy picture, intended bad tchnique. The problem here with your intentional out of focus is that, the degree of out of focus is so small, it did not come across as intentional, it came across as bad tachnique, carelessness!

You managed to ruin a very beautiful model. Those out of focus eyes are so damn annoying.

Thanks Bro for your comment..As a newbie like me, I appreciate to learn from great masters like you..I hope to learn more from you with your excellent photography skills and talent.. :)
Thank you again..
Cheers,
Ruel

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
Thanks Bro for your comment..As a newbie like me, I appreciate to learn from great masters like you..I hope to learn more from you with your excellent photography skills and talent.. :)
Thank you again..
Cheers,
Ruel
Hi Ruel
so the great master has commented .... i hope you can see his point, which i think is correct in some ways. Though it's great to have intended OOF shots, but for facial ones, extra care has to be taken in the placement of the head. For eg, #1 and #3, the eyes are in almost full frontal view and as such OOF should not be executed because it looks odd with one eye blur.....
maybe when one eye is "hidden" more before we try OOF on it.
Anyway .... #2 is great! :thumbsup:

KBeng

Jun 4, 2006
I am a bit confused..

Are you saying that as long as the pictures show 2 eyes (the further one not "hidden") both should be sharp and in focus?

But I have seen many nice portrait with shallow DOF which put the further eye of the model OOF.. so you mean that should not be done? :think:

smallaperture

Jan 5, 2004
Catchment Area
There is only one thing to show here - that the photog has got a big aperture lens. :bsmilie:

Clown

Staff member
Mar 24, 2003
Singapore
i feel that for #3, the OOF, accidental or deliberate, actually added to the complexity of the picture.
here the girl is staring out of the frame with one of those thousand-yard-gazes and the OOF effect actually expresses this to the viewer in a subtle manner, like looking but not looking kinda feel.

glensky

Aug 11, 2004
Why not? 1.2 also can get both eyes in focus, just have to place subject well.
Pretty subject but perhaps can work on the expressions. I understand it's pretty tuff to get it in group shoots though.
show me at exactly same angle pleaseeeeee!!!!:devil:

chrisdebug

Aug 6, 2006
Hi Ruel, pic 1 didn't work for me too...

I had shots of nina from this angle as well & had the same OOF problem in one eye.. So while I did like some aspects of my own shots (gd lighting, nice expression, etc), I realised the composition just wasn't suitable for the OOF effect.. they just didn't look right, at least to me..

KBeng, to answer yr question, OOF (in one eye) can work for portraits, if the composition is right. I remember seeing one of jia wang's pix of Irina with this same effect and the OOF worked.

Well, guess it's gd to always discuss on why some rules stay, some rules are broken, and to what degree.. Cheers everyone.. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.