Mysterious edit technique?

ultimaflux

Nov 29, 2007
I've seen this kind of photos several times but i have always been curious about what kind of photo effect it is.
_MG_6971A.jpg

this first picture is taken from the sartorialist's blog. the street portraits featured in that blog are just legendary, you should take a look if you're into portraits and all. i'm kinda wondering whether the lens he's using is a 50mm f/1.4 or anything more pro than that...

Michael%20%2B%20Wendy%20097.jpg

this is another picture taken from xiaxue's blog, when she uploaded her wedding pictures. and i noticed the similar effect in play, just that this version seems a little desaturated.

i'm guessing it's about playing with the saturation or contrast of the photo. some effects that you might possibly think of are lomo or film slr effect. i thought of lomo but i couldn't achieve the same effect for the sartorialist's picture, his seem to be more rich in contrast. and with lomo, there's always the vignetting. and i'm not sure about slr...

so wanna ask if any of you guys know specifically the name of this photo effect or if you know exactly how to achieve such an effect...it would be really awesome :D thanks in advance :)

i also apologise if such a topic has been covered before.

Last edited:
wa, so many people interested in

DIGITAL CROSS PROCESSING

or sometimes known as XPRO

you can do it with individual RGB curves in photoshop, not the "master" one. what you are actually doing when you are moving the curves around in each channel is playing with the color balance in the shadow/highlights and shifting them around.

this came about initially from film crossprocessing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

which involves chemicals and such, and is usually associated with lomography.. as it is often used on lomographic pictures.

there, i answered you. ;)

Last edited:
Try picture style Emerald if you're using Canon. Download from Canon site.

Yes, with Color Efex Pro, you have 19 Cross Processing filters effect to play around with. It takes only a few seconds.

Simulates the effect of processing color film with the wrong chemistry; that is, processing negative film with slide chemistry (C41 to E6 cross-processing) or slide film with negative chemistry (E6 to C41 cross-processing).

i always tot of trying the efex pro, but there's still no support for 64bit photoshop right?

IMO Adobe Lightroom is more versatile than the Color Efex Pro. Just need to play with the Hue, Saturarion, Luminance and Split Toning, you can come out with hundreds of toning effects.

alright thanks guys, now i know it's digital cross processing, i can slowly figure out how to do it :)

wa, so many people interested in

DIGITAL CROSS PROCESSING

or sometimes known as XPRO

you can do it with individual RGB curves in photoshop, not the "master" one. what you are actually doing when you are moving the curves around in each channel is playing with the color balance in the shadow/highlights and shifting them around.

this came about initially from film crossprocessing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_processing

which involves chemicals and such, and is usually associated with lomography.. as it is often used on lomographic pictures.

there, i answered you. ;)

yep. it is digi cross processing as pointed out by nightmare. not easy skill, often u either over saturate or u screw up badly.

well. cross processing was meant to screw up colors anyways:bsmilie:

yea. play with color balance. the very nature of cross processing is actually a darkroom technique. usually cross processing can be done by using positive film's developing techniques on negative ones, which produces the screwed up colors but looks cool. not too sure but at least tats wad i think i remember.

ah realised. apparently, its not positive film, but a negative shot that is negatived again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-6_process
something like color reversal

Last edited:
My friend likes that blog - I see a number of times that couple uses 5DII and the 50 f/1.4 as their most commonly used lens.