My whole roll of film turned out unexposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0d3

Feb 3, 2003
I was shocked when I received back my roll of Kodak TMAX400 from Fotohub, it turns out that almost all my frames were not exposed at all, except for a tiny small bit in frame two. Sigh. I've examined the shutter unit of my EOS 500, it still opens/closes and does not jam. The 50mm f/1.8 worked fine on my 300D too. This is the third time I've been shooting film with the EOS 500 and the first two rolls of Kodak Gold 200 turned out just fine. So I was wondering what could have caused almost ALL 36 exposures to be totally not exposed? :dunno:

lol :bsmilie:

just try another roll.

Ensure you did not set your EOS 500 with -2 exposure compensate accidentally ...

roll back the wasted roll of film and use it to verify if the film roller is indeed jammed

n0d3 said:
I was shocked when I received back my roll of Kodak TMAX400 from Fotohub, it turns out that almost all my frames were not exposed at all, except for a tiny small bit in frame two. Sigh. I've examined the shutter unit of my EOS 500, it still opens/closes and does not jam. The 50mm f/1.8 worked fine on my 300D too. This is the third time I've been shooting film with the EOS 500 and the first two rolls of Kodak Gold 200 turned out just fine. So I was wondering what could have caused almost ALL 36 exposures to be totally not exposed? :dunno:

When you say underexposed, you mean the print? This is not accurate as it does not tell the full 'story'. Look at the negative, does everyframe has a definate black border? If the negatives looks pale and whitish, it is exposure problem during picture taking. The possiblity of the film wrongly processed is there also.

T Max has very wide exposure lattitude, up to 5 to 8 stops, so most exposure problems can be recovered during printing stage.

forgot to remove the lens cap?
Mirror did not go up?
Shutter did not open?

Just shoot a roll of colour negs in bright sunlight and send for processing to test camera. If another roll comes out unexposed the it's time for the service centre

Astin said:
sounds like the film roller inside is jammed, it stuck at frame number 2 and cannot advance further

Hmmm, if it was indeed stuck at frame number 2, won't the whole frame be black since I've been exposing it for like 34 times?

megaweb said:
Ensure you did not set your EOS 500 with -2 exposure compensate accidentally ...

Nope, I didn't.

user111 said:
roll back the wasted roll of film and use it to verify if the film roller is indeed jammed

Doesn't seem to be jammed.

Sigh.

ortega said:
Mirror did not go up?
Shutter did not open?

Just shoot a roll of colour negs in bright sunlight and send for processing to test camera. If another roll comes out unexposed the it's time for the service centre

Ok, will try shooting another roll soon. :cry:

They sell TMAX400 and they're supposed to be quite experienced so I guess they know. So what should happen to negatives in the case if they mess up the processing?

Have the same problem before.

Open back cover and shoot.
Use Tv and try 10s see shutter jam or not. (timing out for mine)
some stain/grease on my shutter so had it changed at Canon Service Centre.

I believe I said not exposed (unexposed).

Cheers! :D

n0d3 said:

n0d3 said:
I believe I said not exposed (unexposed).

Cheers! :D

opps, sorry ! must go for eye check-up - maybe is the effect of using ECF all the time.

have a great day :D

DT:)

ortega said:

He was using a SLR. Not possible to shoot if the lens cap was not removed.

For rangefinder - YES! real possibility!

My feeling is that the film never advanced.

I had a similar experience several years ago with my Contax 645. I shot something like 20 rolls. When I developed them, about one third of the films were completely blank! The other 2/3 were completely fine.

I think it does not matter if the processing was screwed up. There would still be some images. But they were completely blank! Unexposed!

Later I found out that the problem was the way I put the film back into the film holder. But when shooting, the camera sounded very much like the film advanced. I think if I had looked at the film counter, it would have shown the frame to be at 1!

student said:
He was using a SLR. Not possible to shoot if the lens cap was not removed.

For rangefinder - YES! real possibility!

sometimes i shoot without looking through the viewfinder
so it is a possibility yes?
anyway it is just to lighten things up a bit

ortega said:
sometimes i shoot without looking through the viewfinder
so it is a possibility yes?
anyway it is just to lighten things up a bit

OK, just for discussion, and some light-hearted banter!

Of course, one can always press the shutter in any camera without looking at what you are shooting.

BUT

1 Is that a reasonable supposition?
2 How long will the exposure time be, given the fact that the lens cap is closed and the sensor is not receiving light at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.