My Virgin Macro Shots! - Critiques Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakon09

Aug 12, 2005
Shot these on the ZD 50mm Macro, comments appreciated, fire away!

P2192494.jpg

P2192486.jpg

P2192485.jpg

P2192482.jpg

P2192474.jpg

Apart from the out of focus dragonflies, you really got to get much closer, dude. Remember, you're using a macro! Good starters though, keep it up!

Yeah, those damned mating 'flies wasn't keeping very still.

As for getting closer, I tried. But them insects were kinda camera shy, got too close, they scooted. I guess patience is the name of the game for macros huh.

Frustrating little things these insects are :angry:

Why not shoot flowers for a start? They don't move like insects do...;)

it seems that the insect are still as they have some unfinish business.

luckily it is not mammals, there will be action rather than still.

drakon09 said:
Yeah, those damned mating 'flies wasn't keeping very still.

As for getting closer, I tried. But them insects were kinda camera shy, got too close, they scooted. I guess patience is the name of the game for macros huh.

Frustrating little things these insects are :angry:
Do you keep still when mating? Insects are insects. They cannot pose for you. You have to adapt in their enviroment.

mammal is different compare to insect and fishes. we have more movement when doing that business. but i am just wondering if you have seen butterflies mate. they will keep their movement as low as possible, male might have their organs ripped off if the movement is too dramatic. fishes on the other hand simply fertile the eggs by spreading semens over it.
try shooting a hunting or feeding insect. it will be more difficult, but a dog feeding shot is easier.

Yeah, u've got to get closer, what lens were you using?
I think for insects macro photography, you should use 100mm lens or longer, at least.

Take care where shadow is cast in pic #4, if it doesn't help in the composition, better recompose and leave it out. But I think above all else, you should get the subject sharp first. If you think a tripod is too much trouble, can consider a monopod.

Site is back up, finally!

Using the 50mm Mac, would be going on another shooting session on Sunday.

Will keep all the comments and tips in mind. Thanks for all the feedback so far folks!

:D

drakon09 said:
Site is back up, finally!

Using the 50mm Mac, would be going on another shooting session on Sunday.

Will keep all the comments and tips in mind. Thanks for all the feedback so far folks!

:D
Good try. did u used just the 50mm? Any adaptors/converters/filters?

Yup, just the 50mm. Just did another macro shoot in SBG earlier today with a buddy.
Will post them later, I *think* there is some improvement :sweatsm:

Thinking of getting the EX-25 for some image magnification as well.

Great start.

Eventhough the 50mm f/2 lens gives you lots of light, you need tripod for razor sharp photo. Alternatively, add a TTL flash.

Note that adding 25mm tube will make your working distance closer but you will have more problem if you don't use tripod or flash.

www.natureatwork.net

:)

These are some that I shot the following week, still on the 50mm/f2 only, with monopod.

P2262875.jpg

Only managed this shot before the SBG gardener scared it away.

P2262874.jpg

This fella was on a dustbin, missing a front leg on the left side.

P2262833.jpg

Not exactly macro, but I liked the way this Oriental Whip Snake was posing for me, have a few more shots closer up.

P2262738.jpg

Also only managed this single shot before it flew.

P2262786.jpg

This shot gave me quite a headache, was unsure of how to compose it, how much flash to hit it, basically a trial-and-error shot. Appreciate advice on shooting this type of macro subject.

drakon09 said:
These are some that I shot the following week, still on the 50mm/f2 only, with monopod.

This shot gave me quite a headache, was unsure of how to compose it, how much flash to hit it, basically a trial-and-error shot. Appreciate advice on shooting this type of macro subject.

With monopod is much better... :thumbsup:

Hehe, thanks. Now saving up for a tripod :sweat:

Some of the creatures look really scary.

drakon09 said:

This is nice, if only it's brighter. can be the cover of a dance CD, trance or chill out ambient music tat kind... :lovegrin:

drakon09 said:
P2262786.jpg

maybe try going closer and a side shot? 4 me i would have gone in real close and focus on the ends of the red stalks(or wateva they were). it will add more impact to yr pic. BUt still it is a gd shot. Nice macro shooting :thumbsup:

Actually I do have a brighter one, the shot I posted was the very next shot I took. I thought at that time that the original shot was overexposed.

I did try to focus at the base of the red stalks, but boyyy did my eyes go :eek:

Think I should not put off that corrective eye surgery any longer :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.