My very first chinese painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
For a person who dont even know how to write or read chinese characters, what do you think of this piece of art? I painted this for my main hall CNY deco.

CHUN.jpg

Happy CNY.

Guess you need to learn calligraphy ... :sweatsm:

If I being harsh .. it look likes primary school student writing though I understand it is difficult to control a brush in writing ... :sweat: I have done it before and I never master it .. shame on me ... :cry: but still I knew oni the basic .. :bsmilie:

Sorry if I offended you .. :sweat:

its ok. I need to learn Chinese first before learning calligraphy. To me, however bad it is, I still feel that for our own house deco, its best to do something on our own rather than just buy from the market. My last year painting of a rooster was better.

I will strive to improve more.

Looks ok, but still the strokes ain't there I feel...

And BTW, shldn't the left and right verses be inverted instead? Plus I think the "春到人间喜满堂" the "堂" word is written wrongly.

If u're a Chinese and never taken up calligraphy, I'd suggest u do so. :)
If u're not a Chinese and never taken up calligraphy, I'd suggest u do so and good effort for a first timer. :)

jsbn said:
Looks ok, but still the strokes ain't there I feel...

And BTW, shldn't the left and right verses be inverted instead? Plus I think the "春到人间喜满堂" the "堂" word is written wrongly.

If u're a Chinese and never taken up calligraphy, I'd suggest u do so. :)
If u're not a Chinese and never taken up calligraphy, I'd suggest u do so and good effort for a first timer. :)

ya ang mo like to laugh at chinese who donno their culture, roots & arts:thumbsd:

I'm chinese but my parents didnt let me study chinese. I regreted so much but it kind of too late to start learning. Actually my wife was suppose to write the 2 sentences but she backed out the last minute. I'm suppose to write or rather draw the golden "Chun"& butterflies.

The left and right verses should be correct as chinese is read from right to left.

My only teacher is an English-Chinese dictonary. Still until now I only manage to reconise less than 30 characters (not including the numerals).

I'm so ashame that as a Chinese I dont know how to read and write Chinese. However, I had managed to master speak and understand Chinese.

dude, it's never too late to learn as long as you have the drive. Commendable effort on the calligraphy.

DeSwitch said:
I'm chinese but my parents didnt let me study chinese. I regreted so much but it kind of too late to start learning. Actually my wife was suppose to write the 2 sentences but she backed out the last minute. I'm suppose to write or rather draw the golden "Chun"& butterflies.

The left and right verses should be correct as chinese is read from right to left.

My only teacher is an English-Chinese dictonary. Still until now I only manage to reconise less than 30 characters (not including the numerals).

I'm so ashame that as a Chinese I dont know how to read and write Chinese. However, I had managed to master speak and understand Chinese.
Hmm... Ok dat's kinda weird though. :think: Chinese and ur parents din let u study?

But den again its commendable that u gave it a go.
There are Indians and Malay folks who took up Chinese Calligraphy if they can do it, u prolly can do it better.

There are community centre courses that offers short courses in calligraphy. U might wanna give it a go if u're interested. :)

zhang3feng said:
ya ang mo like to laugh at chinese who donno their culture, roots & arts:thumbsd:
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm a pure-bred Chinese, 100% full-blooded Singaporean. :bsmilie:

If there's a single ounce of sacarsm that u'd detected, I'd suggest u undergo therapy sessions to loosen up that nervous tension string of urs in the brain that every word out of another's mouth is a sacarsm.

Yes, the above is pun intended if u so wish to think it that way. :)

DeSwitch said:

Full marks for attempt!

At least much more sincere than people who think lowly of their own chinese culture and language...

"For a person who don't even know how to write or read chinese characters", it's a creditable effort.

As someone has pointed out the last character on the right line is missing a few strokes.

It takes years to perfect Chinese calligaphy. I remembered when I was in a Chinese high school we had to passed up a page of calligraphy exercise everyday.

I would encourage you to take up Chinese calligaphy as a past-time. Some Japanese executives do it to de-stress. Write it with wrist control and without the palm touching the table to give you free movement.

Several years ago I saw a calligraphy master from China at work. When she wrote it the whole body was shaking and trembling and the energy was translated into the strokes. And the brush she used was huge. Now you may think that I'm talking about sex. :bsmilie:

About this Chinese culture thingy, a family member of ours told us that her law firm in Hong Kong has an American senior counsel who could draft law in Chinese!

Due to neglect it will now take me a night just to write a simple Chinese letter.

Sion said:
About this Chinese culture thingy, a family member of ours told us that her law firm in Hong Kong has an American senior counsel who could draft law in Chinese!

Due to neglect it will now take me a night just to write a simple Chinese letter.
Don't we all know English too?

Hey, I love that piece of art! Looks like some kid's calligraphy. Why must we have neat words all the time? Let's be creative and have some "home-made" couplets for a change.

jsbn said:
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm a pure-bred Chinese, 100% full-blooded Singaporean. :bsmilie:

If there's a single ounce of sacarsm that u'd detected, I'd suggest u undergo therapy sessions to loosen up that nervous tension string of urs in the brain that every word out of another's mouth is a sacarsm.

Yes, the above is pun intended if u so wish to think it that way. :)

:think: did i said u r ang mo??

Thanks guys/gals. I will put in effort. Even my daughter's chinese is better than me. She in Pri. 2. I remembered that my Grandfather's calligraphy is great but that time I was too young to learn from him. My Parents thought that anyone who knows English will find a good job... Cant blame them.

There was once a friend of mine wrote me a leter in chinese and it took me almost 1 month to finish reading and understanding what she wrote.

DeSwitch said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ..........

DeSwitch said:
Thanks guys/gals. I will put in effort. Even my daughter's chinese is better than me. She in Pri. 2. I remembered that my Grandfather's calligraphy is great but that time I was too young to learn from him. My Parents thought that anyone who knows English will find a good job... Cant blame them.

There was once a friend of mine wrote me a leter in chinese and it took me almost 1 month to finish reading and understanding what she wrote.
Its never too late to pick up a language.

I'd seen ppl in their 40s, 50s learning new languages and using them with such great fluency that they can be passed off as a linguist or a native speaker of the particular tongue. :)

But everything has a starting point, seems that u'd made calligraphy ur starting path. :think: Keep it up! Hope to see more 'power writings' frm u in the future! ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
ur writings definitely better than mine. and erm... :embrass: i DID study chinese in sch.

xray said:
Hey, I love that piece of art! Looks like some kid's calligraphy. Why must we have neat words all the time? Let's be creative and have some "home-made" couplets for a change.

You could adopt childish calligraphy as a style.

Look at Mao's somewhat crooked and unelegent calligraphy. Many think that it's unique. But then he was the chairman.

Status
Not open for further replies.