My try w/ film (SuperPROGRAM+Golden Kodak 100)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Got a forum friend coming to Singapore from Canada over the weekend, he wanted to take some photos around Arab st and Little India area. 'Cause I've been to these places so many times, decided to give my beloved SuperPROGRAM a try :)

PentaxSuperPROGRAM_FA43.jpg

Haven't shot film for a long time, and this is the first manual film camera that I ever really used (had quite a few, but never loaded film in any other manual cameras before), really took me a while to get used to. Only read the manual for loading and unloading film, all the rest is pretty easy to figure out even w/o looking at the manual.

Funny thing is, after each shot, I'd look at the back of the camera to see how the photo looked like, and I even tried to look for the review button on the camera :bsmilie:

Luckily the camera is pretty easy to use, I used Auto mode for the entire session. The only things I needed to do were composing and focusing. Shot 3 rolls of films (all expired over three years ago. Got them free from a friend) in 5 hours , the first 2 rolls turned out to have some color problem, probably because they are expired, or maybe scanner problem. The last roll seems pretty okay.

Here are all 36 shots from the last roll, scanned by the shop. No process other than resize and sign. Hope you like some of them :)

all using 43mm ? they are very sharp for film...:)

Most photos were taken by the 43, some were taken by 77, some by M20/4 (you can see my fingers in some of those, 20mm is really wide for film, I didn't notice my finger was in the frame at all when I took those shots). The fisheye shots were taken by a Sigma 8mm fisheye :cool:

Nice film shots Fengwei! :thumbsup: How did you manage to get this shot with background and foreground blurred, yet the object of interest is razor sharp? I guess you are using an FA lens? Except for my FA50 1.4 and M50 1.7, all my primes are DA lenses so I guess they will not work on my K1000D...

I'm always amazed they will pose for you. I get nervous when aiming at them and they look at me!
I just started a new roll of film on my K1000D because the film is expiring so I thought I'd better use it before it loses the colour..;p A previous roll I had which expired for 2 months had really washed out colours.

These are really impressive shots:thumbsup:

After seeing your shots, I am so tempted to pick up a film body and start experimenting to actually develop some photography skills rather than firing off burst shots with digital and remaining inept as ever.:embrass: My friend who uses film (nikon body) also has been persuading me to try it.

Will any of my lenses work with a film body, or will I have to buy new ones? I know the DA40 works reasonably well (?) because Knyghtfall tried it on his camera (PZ-1P i think).:dunno:

I read the DA40 works on film 100% as it is an update of the old M40/2.8 design?

I read the DA40 works on film 100% as it is an update of the old M40/2.8 design?

That's great! I will try it later...Thanks!
How about the 21mm and 70mm? Will they work also?
Also, for the K1000, can I change lens midway through a reel of film?

Fengwei, very nice and interesting shots from your SuperPROGRAM.:thumbsup: Heard you went shooting with your film camera but didn't know you killed 3 rolls at one go.:bsmilie: Looks like quite a bit of area covered. Thanks for sharing. It's make me want to shoot some film this weekend.

That's great! I will try it later...Thanks!
How about the 21mm and 70mm? Will they work also?
Also, for the K1000, can I change lens midway through a reel of film?

airconvent, you can mount the DA primes or zooms on your K1000 but it will not work very well as you can only shoot stopped down. There's no control over aperture unlike the FA lens which have the aperture ring for you to adjust maually. I'm not so sure but i think using DA lenses below 40mm will cause vignetting when use with film camera. I don't see why cannot change lens midway through a reel of film for K1000.:think: The film is covered by the cloth blind shutter.

airconvent, you can mount the DA primes or zooms on your K1000 but it will not work very well as you can only shoot stopped down. There's no control over aperture unlike the FA lens which have the aperture ring for you to adjust maually. I'm not so sure but i think using DA lenses below 40mm will cause vignetting when use with film camera. I don't see why cannot change lens midway through a reel of film for K1000.:think: The film is covered by the cloth blind shutter.

Yep - DA40 and 70 works fine on full frame, but camera body should be able to control aperture. I tried skypacker's DA40 on a MZ-50 (which recently died) which works fine. Have the chance to mount hjyeo's DA70 on my MZ-3, with no sign of vignetting too. I'm not sure if the metering will work with DA lens on the K1000 body. DA21 will have vignetting.

Actually, to get the bokeh u just need to take the picture with any fast lens (below f2) with the aperture at the widest. That being said, even moderate lens (90/3.5, 180/4) produce wonderful bokeh, so long as you manage to "distance" your subject away from the background. :bsmilie:

I also heard it being said (though I can't verify) that film produces a slightly more 3D image than digital, but I can't really compare.

These are really impressive shots:thumbsup:

After seeing your shots, I am so tempted to pick up a film body and start experimenting to actually develop some photography skills rather than firing off burst shots with digital and remaining inept as ever.:embrass: My friend who uses film (nikon body) also has been persuading me to try it.

Will any of my lenses work with a film body, or will I have to buy new ones? I know the DA40 works reasonably well (?) because Knyghtfall tried it on his camera (PZ-1P i think).:dunno:

I think all your lens will work, due to the famous pentax compatibility :bsmilie:Its just a matter of vignetting.
Looking thru the list of lens in your signature:
kit lens: vignetting
DA 40: no vignetting
DA*: not sure on this one - did I use yours on my SLR the last time? Think it should be reasonably okay actually.
sigmas: if they are the DG lens, they will be fine with film. If they are DC lens, that means they're only meant for DSLRs. Not sure if vignetting will show.

And yes, great pictures as usual from FW, especially the portrait shots! They were shot using the 43, and not the 77?

Status
Not open for further replies.