My trip back to Kota Kinabalu.. my hometown

Status
Not open for further replies.

art2d2

Jun 28, 2002
Beijing, Shuangjing
art2d2.zenfolio.com
Still going through 7 gigs of photos from my last week 7 day trip back to my hometown, Kota Kinabalu (KK) in the state of Sabah, East Malaysia. Normally everytime I go back I have zero time to do any sort of shooting, mostly settling my personal stuff as well as catching up with my family, relatives and friends. Most of the time I don't even bring my camera gears back haha. Well this trip is different, thanks to my wife who let me go back alone ;p , so I have more time to shoot. I will be posting a series of photos based on my days there.

I arrived back in KK on the 27th July, rested the whole day since its Sunday and had dinner with my family. The next day I went to town, to settle some banking stuff as usual for most of the day.. but I did have sometime to roam around Gaya Street. This street is famous for its Sunday morning market, where the whole street is close for hawkers and vendors of all sorts, trading their goods from local food, handicrafts to household pets. All photos taken with K20D + DA*16-50 or 50-135.

IMGP3421ps.jpg

IMGP3420ps.jpg

Last edited:
Behind Gaya Street is the road adjacent to Signal Hill, a popular look-out spot if you want to view the entire city. You can see the observation platform at the centre top of the photo. I will be posting photos from the observation tower later.
IMGP3423ps.jpg

And old Penampang Union Transport bus, I use to take this kind of bus back in my school days 20 years ago (I'm so old liao haha). Normally there is a bus conductor inside the bus selling tickets.
IMGP3424ps.jpg

This is the famous Atkinson Clock tower. Built in 1903, this all-wood, no-nails structure was built in memory of Francis George Atkinson, a famous District Officer who died at the young age of 28 from tropical disease. The clock still works until today, surviving WW2.
IMGP3422ps.jpg

More to come... more KK photos, my island trips and some photos of my home :) .

Last edited:
Hi arthur,
wow, 7GB of photos! ..:bigeyes:
The photos look like something taken in the 60s...even the bus look like that era!
And the b/w completed the illusion...

Thanks for sharing...do upload some colour ones as well. :)

Hi arthur,
wow, 7GB of photos! ..:bigeyes:
The photos look like something taken in the 60s...even the bus look like that era!
And the b/w completed the illusion...

Thanks for sharing...do upload some colour ones as well. :)

Actually not a lot considering 1 jpeg is about 10mb in size :confused:. Will post more colorful ones tonight. Stay tuned.

Nice shots Arthur, looks very much how I imagined it to be. :)
Perhaps time to plan for a visit to my relatives there...

like the photo with the bus. really got the retro feel, :bsmilie:. like creampuff, make me feel like going over and shoot some photo!!

Arthur,

Welcome back.

Nice pics, simple and great for gateaway and relaxation purposes.:)

otc

Oh!!! another sabahan, KK-zai!

Do I know you? me from Luyang, opp. Lintas area

Is this the place where they are famous for toast? Been there once but can't recall:bsmilie: One day I'll really wanna goto the nearby islands.^^

KK's famous toast are at kopitiam outside city area, this is part of Gaya Street area and a few backpacker lodges could be found here.

If you have the time and budget, go to far away island. They are cleaner and more to see compare to nearby islands.

:thumbsup:

waiting for the colors. :bsmilie:

wah, very near! Me Tmn Jindo Phase I...... hahaha. find a time, invite sabahan in CS for gathering.

On the 3rd day, it was a bright sunny day, with a nice blue sky. So I decided to take a drive around town, up the Signal Hill for some shots and near the city old jetty area.

A photo of my house with my dad in front of the cars.
IMGP4281ps.jpg

Don't try this in Singapore ;p I'm driving while taking photos through my windscreen. This roads leads to the State Sports Complex as well as Signal Hill.
IMGP3442ps.jpg

IMGP3443ps.jpg

Some nice and interesting pics of your hometown arthur. Thanks for sharing.;)

2 shots from the observation platform at Signal Hill. A view of Gaya Island, still a lot of people living there in water houses built over the island coastline.
IMGP3467ps.jpg

IMGP3460ps.jpg

Some shots near the old city jetty, where this place use to be the landing site for people living in the nearby Gaya Island. They have to take a speed boat everyday to come to the mainland.

IMGP3479ps.jpg

IMGP3480ps.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.