my sister and bangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vani77a

Aug 31, 2009

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
did i crop the picture properly? is it properly exposed? i'm new in photography, so any other constructive criticism, either in technique or composition, will be very much appreciated.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
to show the bond between my sister and our dog

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
i was showing my new lens to my sister, when our dog came to the room, and wanted some attention. my sister was "talking" to our dog, and i snapped a shot of them together.

4.what does the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
i love this picture. its among the most "honest" picture that i took, and personally, that's one of the things i hope to achieve in pursuing photography, to preserve peoples emotions in pictures.

The dog and your sis's eye area seems a tat OOF. Actually, I cannot see the eyebrow clearly as it seems rather dark in my screen. There is something at the top left cornet which can be easily removed by PP.

As for showing of the bond between your sis and bang. I am sorry. The message did not come across strongly to me. Perhaps in my head there is already a picture of bond between a
dog and the master. It is a happy picture. Maybe that's y your picture is unable to come to me strongly. mmm as I type this out. another picture runs into my head. it is a warm loving picture. If need to me to tell you what is the picture in my head, just PM me.
:)

Cheers keep shooting and congratz in getting your new lens. Woo hoo!!!!

Picture is very small. So it's a bit hard to analyze.

But from what I can see, the white thing at the background (bed?) is quite distracting.

And the picture seems a little underexposed.

1. the lighting is way too flat especially for a black and white shot. u need more contrast in the photo. exposure seems decent but the camera probably meter more for the amt of white in the pic. u probably should have exposed it for 1/3 or 1/2 stop more.

2. i don't see the bond as much as i think you thought it shows. it will be important to capture emotions, expressions or at least the eyes of the subjects or something significant. right now, cannot see dog face and your sister face is not obvious also.

shoot more and see more. u will only get better with time. good luck!

Honestly, I couldn't even tell that it was a dog until I read your description.

Contrast and exposure aside, you might want to look around on at other people's works so that you can get better ideas for your composition. In this case, simply taking the shot from the other side would have made it much better already.

sisterAndBangs.jpg

1) a bit too underexposed for my taste
2) cannot see the dog's eyes... see your sis' eyelid still okay, but if see connection maybe see the eyes better
3) the line of the white bed in the middle of no where is distracting
4) a lot of shadow from below, might try playing with a secondary light source to counter that

just mho, hope it helps

thanks for the very useful replies! i'll probably take another photo of my sister and bangs, and post it, considering all your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.