My simple review on JYC filters

castwind

Apr 1, 2007
Review of JYC Filter
Hi all, as I had been asked many times about the JYC filter performance and sample photos in mass sale thread. I decided to do a simple review. Please let me know what else you would like to see in future filter reviews. Unlikely that I will redo this test, but I certainly would like to know what other info you would like to see. For one, I know that comparison with Hoya and B+W are good to have, but I don’t have them this time round. I hope this gives a good idea on the quality of the filters.

First scenario is indoor, using 1 x high-power fluorescent lighting, 70W. The white balance is set manually using preset white balance. The camera used is D700, and the lens is 85mm F1.4.
• Camera Model: D700
• Lens: 85mm F1.4
• White Balance: Preset WB
• Exposure: Manual
• Filters used: JYC MC-UV and JYC CPL
• Photo mode: Neutral

Without Filter
Without%20Filter.JPG

Using JYC MC-UV Filter
For the MC-UV filter, there is no perceptible loss of sharpness.
JYC%20MC-UV.JPG
[/URL]

Using JYC CPL Filter
For the CPL, it will result in a slightly warmer picture and no perceptible loss of sharpness either. There is a loss of slightly more than 1-stop of light when using the CPL. You can see that some of the reflection on the glass is reduced through the use of the CPL. This is one of the key advantage of using CPL, i.e removing reflection from water and glossy surfaces.
JYC%20CPL.JPG

Last edited:
Cropped center portion (Without Filter)
WithoutFilterCropped.JPG

Cropped center portion (JYC MC-UV Filter)
JYCMC-UVcropped.JPG

Cropped center portion (JYC CPL Filter)
JYCCPLcropped.JPG

Next photo
Outdoor shot with vast amount of sky to check for uneven polarization.
• White Balance: Manual at 5560K

Without Filter
Without%20Filter%202.JPG

Using JYC MC-UV Filter
JYC%20MC-UV%202.JPG

Using JYC CPL Filter
JYC%20CPL%202.JPG

WithoutFilter2cropped.jpg

JYCMC-UV2cropped.jpg

JYCCPL2cropped.jpg

Last photo
Shot with vast amount of details to check for contrast and sharpness. The photos were straight from camera, no editing done.
• White Balance: Manual at 5560K

Without Filter
Using JYC MC-UV Filter
Without%20Filter%203.JPG

Using JYC MC-UV Filter
JYC%20MC-UV%203.JPG

Using JYC CPL Filter
For the CPL, it will result in a slightly warmer picture and no perceptible loss of sharpness either. There is a loss of slightly more than 1-stop of light when using the CPL.
JYC%20CPL%203.JPG

Last edited:
all this test is indoor and outdoor (daytime).

you should do a field test outdoor (nighttime), it had glares issues (only slightly better then $10 Tokina filter).

I used once and cos of this, i stop using it.

Using JYC CPL Filter (Click on photo to see full res photo)
WithoutFilter3cropped.jpg

JYCMC-UV3cropped.jpg

JYCCPL3cropped.jpg

Last edited:
The important quality of filters is not just the sharpness, but also how the filter creates/handles flares when shooting into/towards the direction of bright light sources.

all this test is indoor and outdoor (daytime).

you should do a field test outdoor (nighttime), it had glares issues (only slightly better then $10 Tokina filter).

I used once and cos of this, i stop using it.

Hi sinned79,
Are you able to share with us on the night time photos comparison that you had taken with different branded filters? It is very easy to say that a filter is lousy, but relatively to what kind of filters? Will a Hoya or B+W be much better? Or will that night scene still have that flare even if the filter is removed?

I know I sound defensive, but it is just too easy to make a online comment saying that this is bad and that is good, but we need to have real comparison. I welcome all postings that say that JYC is lousy and sucky, but please at least show the photos, with and without the filters. I will attempt to take a few night shots for comparison later.

Last edited:
The important quality of filters is not just the sharpness, but also how the filter creates/handles flares when shooting into/towards the direction of bright light sources.

i concur and this filter fails at this part.

i rather stick with Hoya Pro1 digital (price almost similar, slightly more expensive then JYC).

Hi sinned79,
Are you able to share with us on the night time photos comparison that you had taken with different branded filters? It is very easy to say that a filter is lousy, but relatively to what kind of filters? Will a Hoya or B+W be much better? Or will that night scene still have that flare even if the filter is removed?

I know I sound defensive, but it is just too easy to make a online comment saying that this is bad and that is good, but we need to have real comparison. I welcome all postings that say that JYC is lousy and sucky, but please at least show the photos, with and without the filters.

i will try dig out the photos to show. :)

Have a look here for testing procedure: http://www.lenstip.com/115.3-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Test_procedure.html
There is a link in first chapter pointing to the UV filter test.
Secondly: your CPL filter indoors doesn't show anything about the polarization capabilities. Try on a sunny day in the recommended direction (90 degree from the sun).

i just search thru my archive photos... think i deleted those photos.

anyway just carry out this test:
evening shoot, shoot towards bright lights/source, u will get greenish glares :)

i dun have this problem when i use the cheaper range Hoya Pro1 digital which costs $30-40+.

You are not the first advertiser that is introducing this brand. I bought it from sgcamerastore.com (they are the first few advertisers to bring in this brand):
http://www.sgcamerastore.com/filters/cat_15.html

what for i want to lie about this glare issues, what good will i get? I dun profit anything from it. :) I am just a consumer not advertiser (biz rivalry if thats what you are thinking)

Last edited:
Yeah, I just ordered a JYC Pro1-D CPL filter off of ebay and I get the green flare when pointing at light sources as well.

Oops. Lucky didn't buy. Changed my mind last min to go for B+W instead!

Hi all
I've taken the feedback on the night performance and decided to compare the JYC MC-UV filter vs Hoya HMC filters. I bought the Hoya 77mm HMC from Cathay and it costs about $70 vs $25 for JYC ones.
The results actually show that there is not a big difference between the Hoya and JYC. If anyone wants to test it out themselves, I will be more than glad to provide the filters.

85 1.4 without filter
85_night.jpg

85 1.4 with Hoya HMC
Hoya_night.jpg

85 1.4 with JYC MC-UV
JYC_night.jpg

No Filter version
85_cropped.jpg

Hoya cropped version
Hoya_cropped.jpg

JYC cropped version
JYC_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a JYC PRO1-D MC UV 77mm.

But Im not sure that I have a real one, because the filter feels like plastic and not glass?

What are your filter made of that you have tested?

Thanks for the great review.

Best Regards
Gokster

Hi Gokster,
I am sorry to hear that the one that you had gotten felt plasticky. So far the feedback that I had gotten is that the filter is well built and I am using it myself and like the ultra thin frame very much. The ultra thin frame should be made of aluminium and the glass certainly doesn't feel like plastic. May I know where did you get it from? There might be a difference in the quality depending on whether the filters are meant for China markets vs overseas ones. Those that I am getting are direct from JYC factory and are meant for export.

If you like, we can arrange to meet and you can test out the difference between the ones that you have and those that I am selling. Here is a another review on the filter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBKEHn7uQQ

Regards
Chee Wei

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the fast reply.

I got mine from dealextreme.com.
We are not able too meet, i live in Sweden!
So its a long way from you ;)

Thanks again!