My recomendation for SD Cards For D6/800

zcw123

Oct 23, 2011
Xiamen Shi, Fujian, China, Chi
Hi Everyone,
In case anyone of you are wondering what sd cards to get for D800/600. You can actually consider my suggestion..

As we know, the new Nikon cameras have rather large megapixels, this it has been a headache for us when choosing the memory cards.
Well, if all of you have no budget, then I would recommend Sandisk 600x CF cards , but this is not the case for everyone an I would not wish that anyone bought a card that is not suitable for them ..

Ok here we go .
My first suggestion is Sandisk sdhc uhs-1 95mb/s 32gb ($105-129) .
This card is affordable high speed, and good quality. The writing speed is minimum of 45mb/s (though they quoted 90mb/s it is not realistic. I have not encountered before). The writting speed is indeed fast .. Slightly faster than the 60mb/s CF card... It clears my buffer(17raw) in 20-30sec. Which each raw is about 50 mb... The rest u can judge ur self.

Second suggestion: Sandisk 60mb/s sdhc this card have a writing speed just slightly slower than the 95mb/s .. Yes just slightly slower... But the difference in reading is huge.. This card clear my buffer in less than 40-45secs...

Next would be lexar 90mbs .. This lexar is about disappointing in writing , though reading is extremely fast... The writting makes u feel sad... It writes only 20-30mb/s.. And it clears my d800 buffer in sadly 1 min. And when the buffers full, it slows down to 1 shot to 0.5 shot per second .. While the two still yields 2shots per second for a while... ..if u are shooting jpeg this card is sufficient and fast.. It cost 90 dollars only!. The reading speed is also decent...

Lastly if u only do shoot jpeg, well u can really go for the Sandisk 30mb/s 32/64gb they are decently fast... Pls do not go for lexar unless u want to buy cf cards ... Seriously.. And forget about Kingston, toshiba transcend or silicon power... They are a joke .... Don waste your money ... Unless u have a lot to spend then go ahead.... Well if anyone of you have opinion on my comment pls feel free to correct me ... And help the rest ...
Thank you
Regards
Zcw123

What's wrong with Kingston cards? I have been using Kingston cards ever since I started shooting and after so many years, none of the cards have failed me.

If u are using d700 or below they are fine, if u use a d800 I think u will feel this stress... 10mb/s and a time they don read... Especially transcend they just fail at a lot times

spree86 said:
What's wrong with Kingston cards? I have been using Kingston cards ever since I started shooting and after so many years, none of the cards have failed me.

I had 4 of 16gb kingston 266x ultimate CF cards, could not work on d800, do a google, a lot of reported compatibility issues. Had to buy sandisk extreme series 45mbps.

trd2970 said:
I had 4 of 16gb kingston 266x ultimate CF cards, could not work on d800, do a google, a lot of reported compatibility issues. Had to buy sandisk extreme series 45mbps.

When i say doesnt work, it meams the d800 doesnt even detect the card, just shows "E"

if wanna fast, go with lexar 1000x CF card, they is what you need :)

For those who can afford it for sure they would go for that card.
Even the 600x Lexar CF is not that cheap thus these card is bought mainly by those who is using their D600/800.E for their job or those who have the mean to afford the price tag along with the card and who the true value of these card.

Can someone explain what does it mean by class 4 and class 10 which is better? Thanks

STTNP said:
Can someone explain what does it mean by class 4 and class 10 which is better? Thanks

Class 4, 6, 8 or 10 is depend the manufactured as the read/write speed.

Usually you want to know is how many speed and label on the card.

10, 20, 30, 45, 60, 95mb/s buy the more higher mb/s definitely you pay as higher and faster speed saving data & previews.

I have a little bit tips for D600 & D800 user.

The minimum requirement on D600 is much better for 45mb/s or higher.

If D800 the best can be 90/95mb/s of SD card.
If you would like to be shoots Raw only.

Sample only.
DSC_0244.jpg

Last edited:
rain5533 said:

10, 20, 30, 45, 60, 95mb/s buy the more higher mb/s definitely you pay as higher and faster speed saving data & previews.

Sample only.

I have try using my 4GB class 4 ($4.90) at NSC testing the 600 & 800 both jepg and raw. All photo was capture without any issue. Was wondering why we need the higher class (16 Gb class 10 45 mbs costing $24.00 ) for 600. Your advise please. Thanks

Electrocam said:
I have try using my 4GB class 4 ($4.90) at NSC testing the 600 & 800 both jepg and raw. All photo was capture without any issue. Was wondering why we need the higher class (16 Gb class 10 45 mbs costing $24.00 ) for 600. Your advise please. Thanks

Class 4 ah... Only for my Lx3 wow.

Even I used my 30mb/s on my D600 still very lack on processing data saving time.
Once I insert my 45mb/s still can be acceptable to smoothly writing time

Well you take one picture and then check your shoot any memory card will be good.
But when you start using your D600/D800 you wont be taking one picture at a time. It will happen when you take few shot at one then you will know the importance of having a good speed memory card that match you camera speed.

GuessBoy said:
Well you take one picture and then check your shoot any memory card will be good.
But when you start using your D600/D800 you wont be taking one picture at a time. It will happen when you take few shot at one then you will know the importance of having a good speed memory card that match you camera speed.

The manual For D600 mentioned there is a memory buffer for temporary storage of up to 100 photo, and with certain setting it still have about 20+ photo. Think I will not be shooting 20 photos at one times.

rain5533 said:

Sample only.

Thanks alot.
I seldom shoot high speed like 5fps even I do.is only 2-3sec not more than 20in a single shoot so is Kingston good enough or which sd to buy? I use Kingston ultimax 8gb CF card for my D700 without problem.but not sure for D600.which SD card I'm going to buy

STTNP said:
Thanks alot.
I seldom shoot high speed like 5fps even I do.is only 2-3sec not more than 20in a single shoot so is Kingston good enough or which sd to buy? I use Kingston ultimax 8gb CF card for my D700 without problem.but not sure for D600.which SD card I'm going to buy

Hi, from my D600 I had tried with Sandisk Ultra II, but still lack, after tried with 45mb/s extreme SD.
That is quite smooth and never notice about the led light stay longer again.

STTNP said:
Thanks alot.

Hi, D700 still can works with Sandisk Ultra II.
Even shoot as Raw File.

D600 only found that Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s as efficient, cause do not wait longer for writing time.

D800 if you only shoots as Raw files, I think the only not much problem with 95mb/s Extreme Pro & above.

File size too huge and taken more time to be writing and keep too much buffering and the better go with higher speed as much as possible.
Unless you shots with Jpeg :)

rain5533 said:
Hi, D700 still can works with Sandisk Ultra II.
Even shoot as Raw File.

D600 only found that Sandisk Extreme 45mb/s as efficient, cause do not wait longer for writing time.

D800 if you only shoots as Raw files, I think the only not much problem with 95mb/s Extreme Pro & above.

File size too huge and taken more time to be writing and keep too much buffering and the better go with higher speed as much as possible.
Unless you shots with Jpeg :)

The ultra series of Sandisk are not worth buying. Their advertised speed is only for read. For write it is a joke, even a class 4 Kingston outruns them

Springf said:
The ultra series of Sandisk are not worth buying. Their advertised speed is only for read. For write it is a joke, even a class 4 Kingston outruns them

Nope I mean, if you can afford with extreme or extreme pro that is fine..

Cause when used in D600 & D800 that is not much big issue.

You only need to know where is best bargain :)