My problem with Hyperdrive Colorspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

limwhow

Jun 9, 2009
Life revolves arOnd East Coast
Hello all CS members,
I just got my Hyperdrive Colorspace one week ago.
But since then, for about 4-5 times I have found that it hangs halfway while downloading photos from my CF card. The screen would just hang with the backup screen still showing... then that's it. The hard disk inside will keep whirling until I had to open up the device with a screwdriver and manually take out the battery to turn it off.
Siong...
Do you think it's my Hyperdrive casing that is spoilt? Or is it the hard disk inside that is spoilt?
Thanks so much.

What model do you have? The original IDE or new SATA version? It should be quite easy to verify if you have another USB drive casing. If you had it for a week, then the best way to find out is send it back and claim warranty repair. Better if they are willing to exchange it 1-to-1. Memory World?

yes, test individual components first.

either another hard disk in your color space, or the hard disk to be put into another casing.

once you identify the problem by separating the components.. the rest should be a matter of repairing the stuff with problem..

What model do you have? The original IDE or new SATA version? It should be quite easy to verify if you have another USB drive casing. If you had it for a week, then the best way to find out is send it back and claim warranty repair. Better if they are willing to exchange it 1-to-1. Memory World?
Hi CS TAN, yes you are right. Memory World. Today Public Holiday, I went to Funan Memory World and waited. But in the end, they did not open.
I have the SATA version. I will try again maybe some time this week. It is just 9 days after buying, don't know if they still honour the 7 days 1 to 1 exchange...
Thank you so much.
yes, test individual components first.

either another hard disk in your color space, or the hard disk to be put into another casing.

once you identify the problem by separating the components.. the rest should be a matter of repairing the stuff with problem..
Thanks for your advice, night86mare. Erm... I don't have another hard disk, neither have I another casing. This is the first time I am using this type of portable storage. I will certainly try these options. But first, maybe Memory World would be kind enough to help me...

If you don't mind me asking; how much did you pay for the Hyperdrive?

Hi CS TAN, yes you are right. Memory World. Today Public Holiday, I went to Funan Memory World and waited. But in the end, they did not open.
I have the SATA version. I will try again maybe some time this week. It is just 9 days after buying, don't know if they still honour the 7 days 1 to 1 exchange...
Thank you so much.
You are welcome. Hope you sort out your problem with Memory World soon. Colorspace is a great little device. I have used the IDE version couple of years ago when traveling in Europe. It comes in handy when you want to dump your images from the memory card to get more memory space. The hardware verification is quite reassuring as you can see the image as it gets downloaded to the Colorspace. It also helps me recovered a couple of corrupted memory cards and save around 1,000 images for myself and my friend.

How many gb is ur mem card. I had a old card to hdd copier that could not read above a certain storage capacity due to its OS.

Limwhow, this thread comes at a time when I am killing all of my brain cells trying to buy a suitable portable storage device. I like the Epsons but not the price tag, and can't find a shop that supports Jobo locally. Which leaves the Hyperdrive. Might I ask what brand of CF card did you use the Hyperdrive with when your error occurred? I suspect that it might be a 133X Transcend ... ?

Limwhow, this thread comes at a time when I am killing all of my brain cells trying to buy a suitable portable storage device. I like the Epsons but not the price tag, and can't find a shop that supports Jobo locally. Which leaves the Hyperdrive. Might I ask what brand of CF card did you use the Hyperdrive with when your error occurred? I suspect that it might be a 133X Transcend ... ?
you can try VOSONIC too.

Where can I see the Vosonic? Thanks

click above, first link.

eastgear has the higher end model, not sure about the 5xxx.

How many gb is ur mem card. I had a old card to hdd copier that could not read above a certain storage capacity due to its OS.
I believe the latest Hyperdrive Colorspace supports UDMA mode so a 16GB CF card should not be a problem.

Thanks night86mare and diavonex for the links, super urgent need for portable drive. Will go and hunt it down.

Side track a bit - are the UDMA cards reliable so far in your experiences? been reading a lot about extreme III/ IV being corrupted. Lexar also. Me thinking that the life span of a CF card is about 3 months of heavy use, then it becomes prone to corruption. You think this is a good gauge?

I think you need to upgrade the firmware. It work fine for me and I have using it for years.

You are welcome. Hope you sort out your problem with Memory World soon. Colorspace is a great little device. I have used the IDE version couple of years ago when traveling in Europe. It comes in handy when you want to dump your images from the memory card to get more memory space. The hardware verification is quite reassuring as you can see the image as it gets downloaded to the Colorspace. It also helps me recovered a couple of corrupted memory cards and save around 1,000 images for myself and my friend.
CS TAN, sure I will. Thanks again!

Hi Phazed1! I use Sandisk Extreme III 16Gb CF card (hehe.. all Sandisk CF lah, me). It works good. But I guess my Hyperdrive casing (or perhaps the HDD inside) is a little malfunctioning - sometimes can backup the whole CF properly, sometimes get hang. I am confident that this problem can be sorted out.

Hi chanxj, as mentioned above, I use Sandisk Extreme III 16Gb. This Hyperdrive Colorspace is SATA one. No problem with reading high capacity CF cards.

hello limwhow .. ok the reason why i ask about CF card is cos Memory World sells Transcend which so far I have zero luck with. Have you tried Extreme 4 UDMA ... wonder about reliability, which is more important than speed for me. sighs. Your card reader is also from Sandisk?

Hey Bro .. try calling Valerie fm Memory WOrld 1st and let her noe of ur problem. She'l guide u on wat might b e cause of e problem. If confirm it's e casing itself u'l will need to bring it back i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.