My portable HDD cannot be read!! :( Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siron

Mar 18, 2002
somewhere near...
www.geocities.com
Help! I have a Maxtor portable HDD and it cannot be read!! I have all my photos stored inside!! And I cannot afford to lose them!!

Is there anyway I can do to get em back? My HDD is less then 6 months old! I got it from Challenger!!

Sigh...

pls help

check with other pcs first.

then check control panel under the hardware section whether can detect or not.

Did you tried using other labtop, firewire, or maybe is just the power adaptor fault.Bring the whole package to challenager and ask them to check. Might not be that bad as u think.
Good luck bro.

One thing I found is that sometimes, the USB ports you plug it into also plays a part in it's 'functionality'. Try a few different options of USB ports, and make sure they are all as clean as possible. Same thing with the cabels. Then take those options and try them on a few different computers.

All the best.

2.5" or 3.5"?
Possible the USB encloser unit, do u somehow ever drop the hardisk?
If 3.5" maybe you can try to connect direct to a pc.

One very important thing is make sure you are not writing anything onto the disk as this will hinder your recovery chance.

Try all the suggestions above and if all fails, you can consider going for professional data recovery service if the photos are that important to you.

In future, burn DVD backups from your hard disk and store them separately. You might want to burn multiple copies of backups if the data is really that important.

Try the following:
1. Try on different USB ports
2. USB cable power..sometimes u have to plug all of them to the USB ports (still dunno y, but it works), meaning not leaving any plugs open ended
3. Try on different PCs/Laptops
4. Time to take out ur warranty card and receipt to send for service

I had tried different PC... when I open the Win Explorer.. It will jammed the PC. how can I recover all the files inside?

if all else fail...bring to those recovery company to get back your data for a small fees...

hello , i do have a maxtor PHD too, often experience the same thing prompting me to format it and do partition. but if unplug and plug back again and it works again. Hope it helps!

hello , i do have a maxtor PHD too, often experience the same thing prompting me to format it and do partition. but if unplug and plug back again and it works again. Hope it helps!

I had tried unpluging and pluging. It will simply jam my PC when I try to access the HDD.

Seems that your hdd has :angel:

Cos when your PC accesses it, it hangs as it cannot access it.

You can try Jaben Networks (they do data recovery), OR pay premium - CBL Data.

Seems that your hdd has :angel:

Cos when your PC accesses it, it hangs as it cannot access it.

You can try Jaben Networks (they do data recovery), OR pay premium - CBL Data.

where will that be? And how much are you talking abt ? Thank you

(actually the HDD consist of all my baby's picture frm birth.... I need em!!)

For data recovery service, it is really on case by case basis. They will have to evaluate the problem before giving you a quote. A FAT/NTFS table repair cost less than media damage data salvage.

You can contact ibas http://www.ibas.com.sg/ and ask about the price. @+65 629 65131

How lond did you waited (when you said your PC jammed/hang)? Is your PC with USB2 port or the older USB port? Older USB port takes relatively longer time to detect and scan the external HDD.....I am 1 with an old PC, and it takes about 1-2mins before it showed my external HDD on the win-explorer and in between, the PC is like hang and only the mouse cursor can work.....I am running on XP just FYI.

Hope this helps.:)

I had tried different PC... when I open the Win Explorer.. It will jammed the PC. how can I recover all the files inside?

I had tried unpluging and pluging. It will simply jam my PC when I try to access the HDD.
If your portable HD fails to get ready state, the PC will keep waiting for it to be ready. That is why the PC hang.

Possible causes:
- HD faulty
- Portable Casing faulty

Try to remove the HD from the portable casing and connect it directly to the PC via IDE or SATA.

I have waited for even hours!! hahah as I simply left my PC on when I went out... Cannot. Only when I unplug the HDD.... my PC started to function normal...

Sighhh

Oic, then you have to try megaweb's suggestion liao....hopefully your motherboard can take in your portable HDD (IDE/SATA)...:)

I have waited for even hours!! hahah as I simply left my PC on when I went out... Cannot. Only when I unplug the HDD.... my PC started to function normal...

Sighhh

Status
Not open for further replies.