My photos just mysteriously disappeared! T-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolmantops

Nov 8, 2009
Seletar
Hello all, I just created this account for the sake of posting here in desperately need for help from the experts :cry:

I was happily camwhoring with my bf at paragon and after that we left for holland v... At holland v we camwhored again. Just as I was about to view all the previous photos we took, suddenly those taken at paragon and some from holland v disappeared!!! ;(;(;(

I have no freaking idea what happened and I'm so frustrated... T-T I'm like left with 10 photos from holland v only. I took out my SD card and put it back but still to no avail... Came home hoping the comp would read the other photos but NO! Only those 10! T-T

I'm still feeling really mad about this incident and I hope someone could enlighten me on the problem :embrass: And and and I need advice on what action I should take now... Like is there a way to recover the lost photos?

TIA!

P.S. I'm using a Canon Powershot SX110 IS if that helps

I'm not sure if I've posted in the righ forum but anyway really hope someone sees this!

assuming that you have really really taken and save the photos on the cam....

the foto most probably can be recovered as long as nothin is written on the card or the card is not corrupted.

there are some softwares which allows you to recover files on the card.

Sounds like a case of accidental delete/format.

assuming that you have really really taken and save the photos on the cam....

the foto most probably can be recovered as long as nothin is written on the card or the card is not corrupted.

there are some softwares which allows you to recover files on the card.

I'm certain the photos were saved cos we kept reviewing the
photos when we were at paragon.

Will a camera shop be able to help recover the photos?

dun need camera shop lah ... if u ve the software ...u can do it at home...

i had del photo accidentally on my CF card before...

all were recovered with a card reader and software.

i was using this software called "recover my files"

Sounds like a case of accidental delete/format.

Eek! Definitely not leh... We were still taking photos at holland v and in just a matter of a few seconds, the previous few photos taken there and all my previous old photos (way before those of today) just disappeared when I tried scrolling thru the playback mode

dun need camera shop lah ... if u ve the software ...u can do it at home...

i had del photo accidentally on my CF card before...

all were recovered with a card reader and software.

i was using this software called "recover my files"
:embrass:

Is it safe? Idiot proof? I'm afraid that I might end up reformatting my whole card :embrass:

I couldn't have accidentally press the delete all button cos my cam is always off when I stop taking photos to have my dessert

do you often find your camera lagging when you are browsing?
if yes:
, might be the card reader problem
there was once a problem with my card reader on my camera phone... every now and then the photos i took got corrupted... my guess is that while the card reader is saving the photo on the card... it lost connection and resulted in a corrupted file..
anyway be sure you backup all ur stuff on ur memo card b4 trying any software... just in case

if not i dunno

[1] Take the SD card out from the camera and try to read it from another card reader. If you are able to see all the photos, something is wrong with your camera.
[2] If the shots are still missing and you are sure you did not delete/reformat the card, then use a recovery software to take a look at the card.

If you have bought Sandisk Extreme memory cards, most likely the package will include a recovery disk.

If you are really desperate, you can download the software from the web and I can send one of my recovery disk's license key.

OK. Before attempting to use SD recovery tool, some clarification is required.

- How did you determine that the files are missing. Via directory listing, file explorer or zoom browser?

- If you are using directory listing from the your workstation operating system, what is the diskspace used and left. Are the files hidden.

- If you are using zoom browser, did you acquire all the files again or you option is only at new files?

I am very puzzled by few postings by users on losing portion of the files.

If there is no "user error" involved it sounds like a problem with the card. Some fake cards have been reported to act like this. Reason is: the capacity on the label is higher than what is really inside. The card reports full capacity to cameras and computers but inside it's only half or even less. Once the card reaches the internal capacity limit it simply starts overwriting files. So it will always accept new images from the camera but if one wants to access older files they are gone - forever. The nasty part of it: even branded cards were affected because the faked chips were brought into the assembly lines. Since there aren't much of these factories left these few deliver to the whole world.
Get the recovery software and try to get as much pictures as possible. Do not shoot for the time being or do any other writing to the card, this will damage the non-visible existing files and make recovery impossible.
Once you have recovered all files it's time for a thorough check of the card.
1) Format the card in your computer using a card reader where you are absolutely sure it's working fine. Don't use the camera here.
2) Copy a large portion of data (anything you want, anything you can find: mp3, mp4, doc, jpg .. you name it) to the card, filling 80% of the card's capacity.
3) Copy the files back to your computer (into a different folder of course).
4) Any errors in this process indicate an issue with the card. Repeat all steps with a different card reader for verification.
5) Check the origin of the card. Return to the dealer if it's a branded card and ask for replacement. If it's non-branded or from any cheap shop somewhere you know now what's the difference between both and what the price difference is for.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice :)

Firstly, I only have one card reader and it's already not functioning well (comp can't seem to read the device) so I connected my camera directly.

Secondly, I think I wanna visit the card's service shop instead? I'm not confident in using a software :/

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure the card is genuine... I've been using it since 2 years back and have brought it with me to overseas trip where I take up to 900 photos. So far I never ever had this problem whereby my photos just disappear. That's why I doubt it's a case of overwriting...

Anyhows, I'm using a Lexar 8GB Platinum II 60x SDHC
http://store.lexar.com/?productid=LSD8GBBSBNA060

1) Replace the card reader immediately with a decent model. If unsure get something from Lexar, matching the card.
2) The shop won't help you, they can only pass you the software if they have it separately. Data recovery is a service. But with the software and a new reader you should be able to get the images back. The software comes with a manual, usually.
3) What can you see when connecting the camera directly?

I had an issue recently with an old card reader that screwed up the file system. Managed to get everything back with file system recovery tools. I do hope you are not running into the same issue here. But at least there's hope :)
Windows Explorer standard settings will not show such recovered files or other fragments. Change the settings to show all files (including those that Windows considered 'hidden' or 'system files'). Tell us what you see.

If you're not confident of doing it, I'm sure someone in your house or your friends are tech savvy enough to help you try to recover those with the recovery software.

1) Replace the card reader immediately with a decent model. If unsure get something from Lexar, matching the card.
2) The shop won't help you, they can only pass you the software if they have it separately. Data recovery is a service. But with the software and a new reader you should be able to get the images back. The software comes with a manual, usually.
3) What can you see when connecting the camera directly?

I had an issue recently with an old card reader that screwed up the file system. Managed to get everything back with file system recovery tools. I do hope you are not running into the same issue here. But at least there's hope :)
Windows Explorer standard settings will not show such recovered files or other fragments. Change the settings to show all files (including those that Windows considered 'hidden' or 'system files'). Tell us what you see.

When I connect my camera, I only see that 10 latest photos and nothing more... I don't know how to change the settings :X

And do you advice that I go to the shop to get the software? They can't recover it for me?

Are you still reading the card using your camera? In order to verify whether the problem lies with the camera or the card, you need to find a card reader and try to read your CF card from there. This way, you can be sure where the problem lies...

I don't have any other card reader at the moment :/ maybe I'll get another reliable card reader as what Octarine said

I don't have any other card reader at the moment :/ maybe I'll get another reliable card reader as what Octarine said

yep better buy another card reader(it's cheap anyway)....no point ask a shop for help giving him the chance to carrot u. besides, personal pictures may be recovered too.

yep better buy another card reader(it's cheap anyway)....no point ask a shop for help giving him the chance to carrot u. besides, personal pictures may be recovered too.

I plan to head to the card repair shop not any retail shop... is there one for Lexar cards? I rmb my friend went to one for Kingston memory cards

Status
Not open for further replies.