My "Photojournalism" Take On Chinese Opera, Festival

The Nine Emperor Gods Festival (Chinese: 九皇爺; pinyin: Jiǔhuángyé; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Káu-ông-iâ; Cantonese: Kow Wong Yeh) is a nine-day Taoist celebration beginning on the eve of 9th lunar month of the Chinese calendar, which is observed primarily in Southeast Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand, and also the Riau Islands.
More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_Emperor_Gods_Festival

Chinese opera (Chinese: 戏曲/戲曲; Pinyin: xìqǔ) is a popular form of drama and musical theatre in China with roots going back as far as the third century CE. There are numerous regional branches of Chinese opera, of which the Beijing opera (Jingju) is one of the most notable.
More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_opera

I saw the stage being set up as I was on the way to work on the train in the morning, rushed down after work just to shoot all these!

It was a rewarding experience! At first, I was afraid that the performers would be unfriendly to photographers but instead, when I asked if I could take some pictures, they invited me up the back stage to capture all these lovely moments.

This Chinese Opera Troupe is made up of a few old ladies. There were kind enough to allow me to shoot despite the busy movements in the backstage.
The sweet old ladies even bought me ice cream as a treat as I was shooting & gave me plenty of sweets! Such awesome hospitality! I was shocked!

I spoke to one of them, Chinese Opera is a dying art in modern Singapore, as the younger generation like myself are not keen on it as an art. They only earned SGD40 per day but there were no complains because to these old folks, they love being on stage entertaining the crowd & it was a hobby to them.

To them, they are just performers whom entertain old folks in the audience. To me, they are artists. Performing a slowly dying art in Singapore that would be lost should no younger generations pick this up. I hope by taking these pictures, I can share the art form of Chinese Opera which is an ancient art.

After 2 years ++ of shooting crap, I would say, these are decent first coverage that I've done & I'm proud of compared to the other nonsense & rubbish I usually shoot....

Cheers & I hope you guys enjoy these pictures.

All on Kodak Tri-X 400 pushed to 1600

5064554939_703167cce4.jpg

5064557565_b0515273d0.jpg

5065175654_894be2031d.jpg

5065186140_20e0a35e0d.jpg

5065188446_220d772e91.jpg

Last edited:
wow really nice series bro!!.. canon 50 1.4?

nordleadx said:
happening stuff from Master !!!

Simi master??? Learn most of my stuff from you one lei, you guru lei!!!

LowLights said:
Wow .. Great shots
Thanks!

more here, last 3rd roll:

5064951795_186cec7555.jpg

5065566590_8258cb62e7.jpg

5065569188_ac5b7f1ee7.jpg

5065572338_00c8fc469e.jpg

5064963037_8496ab6694.jpg

Thats the last of it! Gotta go roll up my bulk roll now for later today's overseas trip! see you all the following week because this weekend I got reservist! #$%&!@#*

Royale,

very very nice. I love the rendering. If you have chance to shoot more, perhaps you can shoot abit on the surrounding stage as well, and of course the performance.

thanks for sharing. I am very inspired.

raytoei

Very well done Gary!!:thumbsup:
Good thing you are using fresh developer:)

Great series Gary! I love it!:thumbsup:

very nice series. you should make small blurb book out of it.

:thumbsup:
its near my house, didnt went to shoot :sweat:

:thumbsup: nice series Gary

Very impressive work. It almost feels as if there were no 'distance' between you and the subject.

Cheers,

Wonderful work! Thanks for this. We should capture more of this before it all goes away forever...

very nice series! :thumbsup: