My Personal Crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightbreed

Jan 12, 2004
I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

One advice. Give it up!

:bsmilie:

There is enough grammar and spelling mistakes in any forum to drive any english teacher to the grave.

flend i, hepch you can, not? my engrish, is A1 at o, revel sandard. damm pauer, wan. reali! wahlaueh i, tink de singapolean reali, cannod uze de ploper engrish, lah . we sall, hepch them to collect, they're engrish!

:blah: :p ;p :p ;p :blah:

just kidding. But really, the use of Singlish is one of the things that makes us who we are. It's our culture. So, the people who say we should adopt "Queen's English", and say that we have no culture.... UP YOURS! :devil:

Yuo've ovboiulsy got ntohnig bteter to do wtih yuor tmie btu be taht as it may I slaute yuor cursade, it's aobut tmie smoebdoy sotod up and siad to the wrold "Ooi, yuor sepllnig scuks! And yuor grandma too!".

Hwoveer, it mghit vrey wlel be a ltitle fuitle on yuor prat to poilce the Enlgsih wrold, but I look frowrad to yuor bset efofrts!

Cehers!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

leonzhu said:
i hepch you, can not? my engrish is A1 at o revel sandard. damm pauer wan. reali! i tink de singapolean reali cannod uze de ploper engrish. we sall hepch them to collect they're engrish! :p:p

just kidding. but really, the use of Singlish is one of the things that makes us who we are. It's our culture. So, the people who say we should adopt "Queen's English", and say that we have no culture.... UP YOURS!

nightbreed said:
So take this how you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!
"Hence you can take this the way you will like. I will make my stand here. And I urge all the like-minded people to take up arms and join me!"
That is how I would phrase your sentence; and I don't like the word "Crusade". Do you know the meaning behind this English word?

chaotic said:
One advice. Give it up!

:bsmilie:

There is enough grammar and spelling mistakes in any forum to drive any english teacher to the grave.

I agree, but I must try! :)

Edited:

...drive any English teacher...

leonzhu said:
flend, i hepch you, can not? my engrish is A1 at o revel sandard. damm pauer wan. reali! wahlaueh, i tink de singapolean reali cannod uze de ploper engrishlah . we sall hepch them to collect they're engrish!

:blah: :p ;p :p ;p :blah:

just kidding. but really, the use of Singlish is one of the things that makes us who we are. It's our culture. So, the people who say we should adopt "Queen's English", and say that we have no culture.... UP YOURS! :devil:

Edited:
1st part ignored - intentional mis-use. :)

Just kidding. But really,...we should adopt the Queen's English and say that...

nightbreed, I commend your valiant spirit to fight the enduring fight of the evils of decapitating of the english language.

The faults of the English language has been in its history. The English language is, was and will always be one of the most b a s t a r d ized languages known to mankind.

In its true form the English language is not even pure breed, it is an assimilation of various languages from Anglo-Saxon, to the Normans, to the Romans and even Nordic languages, with spates of Cornish and Welsh.

The proper usage of English therefore comes into question? What is proper English? Is what we hear on television proper English? Is what we read in the daily tabloids and newspapers proper English? By what standard to you judge proper English.

The American will spell color, while the British will spell colour. Or centre for center? Which is proper, and which is accurate?

Again, I say I salute you in your effort to right the evils of the sacriledges corruption of the English language.

I raise a toast to many sleepless nights, and many many cups of coffee.

Halleluyah.. a Crusader for the cause.

tingchiyen said:
Yuo've ovboiulsy got ntohnig bteter to do wtih yuor tmie btu be taht as it may I slaute yuor cursade, it's aobut tmie smoebdoy sotod up and siad to the wrold "Ooi, yuor sepllnig scuks! And yuor grandma too!".

Hwoveer, it mghit vrey wlel be a ltitle fuitle on yuor prat to poilce the Enlgsih wrold, but I look frowrad to yuor bset efofrts!

Cehers!

Edited:
No porbelm hree. Cratieve alretanieve to prpoer splleing. :)

this newbie is out to be kenna :flame:

pls dun go rd commenting abt pple's England in the threads. this forum is meant for CSers to talk ****, sing song abt photography. u want to talk Queen's English, join the Speak Good Engrish mvt, IMO. :bsmilie:

nightbreed said:
Leonzhu, thank you!

read carefully, my nickname is spelt leonzhu in all lower case. Because it IS a name, even at the start of a sentence, kindly use lower case. :blah:

gadrian said:
nightbreed, I commend your valiant spirit to fight the enduring fight of the evils of decapitating of the english language.

The faults of the English language has been in its history. The English language is, was and will always be one of the most b a s t a r d ized languages known to mankind.

In its true form the English language is not even pure breed, it is an assimilation of various languages from Anglo-Saxon, to the Normans, to the Romans and even Nordic languages, with spates of Cornish and Welsh.

The proper usage of English therefore comes into question? What is proper English? Is what we hear on television proper English? Is what we read in the daily tabloids and newspapers proper English? By what standard to you judge proper English.

The American will spell color, while the British will spell colour. Or centre for center? Which is proper, and which is accurate.

Again, I say I salute you in your effort to right the evils of the sacriledges corruption of the English language.

I raise a toast to many sleepless nights, and many many cups of coffee.

Halleluyah.. a Crusader for the cause.

I am SO sorry to have to edit your post, Gadrian, but those of us who are fighting the good fight must be ourselves as pure as we can be. :) And whether it be American or British spelling, there is still the CORRECT forms of spelling. :)

Edited:
...of the decapitation of the English language...
...known to Mankind...
...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh...
...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question.
...Is what we hear on the television...
...By what standard do you judge...
...Which is proper and which is accurate?
...sacreligious corruption...
...sleepless nights and many many cups...

Thank you.

leonzhu said:
read carefully, my nickname is spelt leonzhu in all lower case. Because it IS a name, even at the start of a sentence, kindly use lower case. :blah:

My apologies, leonzhu. :embrass:

nightbreed said:
I am SO sorry to have to edit your post, Gadrian, but those of us who are fighting the good fight must be ourselves as pure as we can be. :) And whether it be American or British spelling, there is still the CORRECT forms of spelling. :)

Edited:
...of the decapitation of the English language...
...known to Mankind...
...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation...
...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh...
...The proper usage of English therefore comes into question.
...Is what we hear on the television...
...By what standard do you judge...
...Which is proper and which is accurate?
...sacreligious corruption...
...sleepless nights and many many cups...

Thank you.

...not even pure breed. It is an assimilation... <--...not even pure breed; it is...
...to the Roman and even Nordic languages, with influences by Cornish and Welsh...<--the influences of the Cornish...
...Which is proper and which is accurate? <--gadrian's original was also correct.
...sleepless nights and many many cups...<--many many? use countless or a single 'many'. the comma removal was inconsequential.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

nightbreed said:
I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know bad English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

How will I do this? I will re-write any examples of bad English I come across and re-post it again in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices.

siao gin na :bsmilie:

Nightbreed [pronounced "bo liao"]:
1. [n] An individual who is intensely enthusiatic or preoccupied in the meaningless journey of calibrating a form of communication for his personal gratification.
2. [n] An individual who has excessive amount of personal time.
3. [n] An English teacher whom no students like.

nightbreed said:

...rid any forum i am registered in of badly written and punctuated English...
"But I know bad English when I come across it." <--this, even I can't correct.
"bad English" <--hmmm.
...re-post it in its...
:devil:

I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly written and punctuated English in any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on the Language. But I know poor usage of English when I come across it. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of English Language Usage, where English is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. (Sentence to long, please break it up) I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of the Language in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday writing practices. (Duplicate of the first paragraph. Should be omitted)

My edited form below.

I am embarking on a crusade, a crusade to correct badly written and punctuated English in every forum that I am a member of. By no means am I the most qualified person, neither am I an authority of the language, but I recognise bad English when I see it. This, is the main reason for my crusade.

I will continue to do so in the face of any criticism, ostracism and, or threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this dark age of usage of the English language. Usage of English today, is badly mangled with careless and indifferent usage of grammar, spelling and punctuation. I will persist until the day pry my cold, dead fingers from the computers’ keyboard.

How will I do this? I will re-write every example of bad English I caome across and repost them in their corrected forms. I will not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

So take this how you will. Here I will make my stand, and I urge the like minded to take up arms and join me!

Status
Not open for further replies.