My Personal Crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! More people who can actually speak and write proper English! To those of you who have taken the time and trouble to correct those who have erred, especially including me :) I thank you!

To those of us who have been corrected, please be gracious about it. My real objective here is to let people learn something. May I ask those who are really good in the language to give reasons (if possible) for the corrections? I would like to know why I have gone wrong. Thank you!

Ooooh..I am highly intoxicated by the exuberance of your verbosity. :what:
Aiya... as long as the message gets through...it's good enough for me ;)

Bravo! In your quest please remember that infinitives are something to never be split and that prepositions are something one should never end a sentence with. And that sometimes it is acceptable to break the rules.

I am reminded of the General who remarked on his Batman's useage of English when their Landrover had broken down in the desert.
"He informed me 'The f**king f**kers f**ked Sir!' - It was concise, to the point and accurately conveyed the dilemma of the situation."

What is bad English?

(Just had to edit this to put an apostrophe in 'Batman's' before being told off) :think:
(Just had to edit again as I'd left the 'r' out of apostrophe) ;)

stroma said:
Bravo! In your quest please remember that infinitives are something to never be split and that prepositions are something one should never end a sentence with. And that sometimes it is acceptable to break the rules.

I am reminded of the General who remarked on his Batman's useage of English when their Landrover had broken down in the desert.
"He informed me 'The f**king f**kers f**ked Sir!' - It was concise, to the point and accurately conveyed the dilemma of the situation."

What is bad English?

(Just had to edit this to put an apostrophe in 'Batman's' before being told off) :think:
(Just had to edit again as I'd left the 'r' out of apostrophe) ;)

Alamak ! "useage" -> "usage".

lavenderlilz said:
Nightbreed

I suggest that you stop being a nuisance before somebody reports your
post(s) to the moderators for "public harassment".

No need to Lilz ;)

I've been eyeing this thread for awhile now and Stroma, may i perhaps gently remind you that, even with good intentions (and i'm sure you know what the road to hell is paved with), you might still offend the sensibilities of fellow forum users. Good or bad english, the perogative of this forum is to improve the standard of photography.

So, as it stands, i am asking you nicely to stop. Consider this a simple request to freeze and desist. i hope you'll understand where i am coming from.

Cheers. :)

Wolfgang said:
No need to Lilz ;)

I've been eyeing this thread for awhile now and Stroma, may i perhaps gently remind you that, even with good intentions (and i'm sure you know what the road to hell is paved with), you might still offend the sensibilities of fellow forum users. Good or bad english, the perogative of this forum is to improve the standard of photography.

So, as it stands, i am asking you nicely to stop. Consider this a simple request to freeze and desist. i hope you'll understand where i am coming from.

Cheers. :)

But I thought this is "kopitiam".. you know coffee shop talk. A place where we can talk anything.. as long as it is within the sosial and legal limit.

Then if the perogative of this forum is merely to improve the standard of photography.. this section called kopitiam should be abolished. Seriously..

You give someone a playground to play nonsense that is what is happening. If the starter of this thread actually goes around and starts editing everyone's thread in other parts of this forum.. then I think action needs to be taken.. but it he stay within the confines of kopitiam and this thread.. heck.. I will go along for the ride.

Lighten up man.. have a cuppa.. the mornings to early to be getting grouchy.

agree with wolfgang. even tho this is kopitiam, insulting CSers are definitely not the purpose of kopitiam, rite? just my opinion... i really hope the moderators will canned this thread.

gadrian said:
But I thought this is "kopitiam".. you know coffee shop talk. A place where we can talk anything.. as long as it is within the sosial and legal limit.

Then if the perogative of this forum is merely to improve the standard of photography.. this section called kopitiam should be abolished. Seriously..

You give someone a playground to play nonsense that is what is happening. If the starter of this thread actually goes around and starts editing everyone's thread in other parts of this forum.. then I think action needs to be taken.. but it he stay within the confines of kopitiam and this thread.. heck.. I will go along for the ride.

Lighten up man.. have a cuppa.. the mornings to early to be getting grouchy.

Oh no, i am far far from grouchy but honestly, but waking up multi PMs regarding this thread and having complaints directed at me isn't something i particularly enjoy.

Besides, you made the point yourself. This place is for people to talk about issues, not for correcting or pointing out deficiencies in the language skills of others. This isn't a language school. Nobody has requested for his "services". :rolleyes:

And yes, you will go along for the ride. But for the people who felt offended or objected to his postings, what am i to do? Tell them that you are enjoying the ride so too bad? :rolleyes: I would request that you remember that there are other forum users whose needs are to be catered to besides your own.

And please understand the term "prerogative" when I talk about this forum and photography. While this section is made for bantering and some off photography topics, nobody said this was a carte blanche situation for one and all to go around offending sensibilities, posting their rants and be really anal-retentive and start harping on other's way of expressing themselves in the English language.

I hope you can understand where i am coming from.

Good Day.

Nightbreed,

Laudable though your intentions are, we unfortunately have to put a stop to this before the postings degenerate into a slinging, slanging match of members defending
1) their right to post without undue judgement or harassment from others (of which your "crusade" barely falls into); and/or
2) their right to post Singlish, Manglish, Chinglish or whatever 'glish they feel like using;

While the level of English used may not be to one's liking, no one member or members should take it upon themselves to correct another member's postings as
a) we are not here to teach English
b) we are here to share, discuss, improve our Photography
c) members may not be partial to someone else publicly "correcting" them as it may be seen as an insult or put-down.

Thus, please refrain from your "Crusade" in ClubSNAP.

Wolfgang said:
Oh no, i am far far from grouchy but honestly, but waking up multi PMs regarding this thread and having complaints directed at me isn't something i particularly enjoy.

Besides, you made the point yourself. This place is for people to talk about issues, not for correcting or pointing out deficiencies in the language skills of others. This isn't a language school. Nobody has requested for his "services". :rolleyes:

And yes, you will go along for the ride. But for the people who felt offended or objected to his postings, what am i to do? Tell them that you are enjoying the ride so too bad? :rolleyes: I would request that you remember that there are other forum users whose needs are to be catered to besides your own.

And please understand the term "prerogative" when I talk about this forum and photography. While this section is made for bantering and some off photography topics, nobody said this was a carte blanche situation for one and all to go around offending sensibilities, posting their rants and be really anal-retentive and start harping on other's way of expressing themselves in the English language.

Good Day.

Wolfgang.. I agree and disagree with you.. I think that as in any forum.. or any thread in any forums.. as long as the poster has not directly indicated a person or persons.. I think it is quite easy for them to just turn their face and look away..

But I dont get it.. is.. he has not personally attacked anyone.. he just made a declaration.. and hey.. we all do this once in a while.. like.. I am here to champion the free speech.. or women rights.. or..

It is my personal opinion that sometimes people just dont know how to turn a deaf ear for their own good.. and get insulted by things that dont really make much of a ruckus.. or doesnt effect them directly. So if someone here says.. that coffee from starbucks sucks.. and we get a bunch of people agreeing.. so will the starbucks support group demand that that posting be deleted coz it offends their favorite coffee.. hmm very interesting.

Yes.. I understand where you are coming from.. but I think this people that are complaining should take their own advice.. MYOB.

Again I say.. as long as he has not gone editing postings in other threads I feel.. why not.. heck for the fun of it.. I played along in this thread.

I am not asking you to tell people to take a ride with me too.. but perhaps to advice them that.. you will take action as and when you see him doing what he is not supposed to, and when he should do that.. then I would support you fully to take action.. which I am sure you have already probably PM'ed him to tell him to keep his fingers away from editing other peoples postings..

I amazed at how some can take offence at this.

I support the "Speak and Write Good English" movement. :)

Wolfgang said:

Good Day.

I for one cannot understand why there would be people on this forum who would be offended by what nightbreed has written and why they have lodged complaints against him.

To those who have taken offense, I would like to say: "Please lighten up".

Why get offended if someone corrects your mistake?
Take it with a bit of humility and as a learning experience. It might save you embarrassment in the future (e.g. at a corporate board meeting or important function).

Reading his initial post, his intention seems devoid of malicious undertones.
And I don’t see that he has misused the term ‘crusade’ (A vigorous concerted movement for a cause or against an abuse).

I often see the following grammatical and spelling mistakes made on this forum.
Correct Incorrect
‘Shutter’ ‘Shuttle’ - I’m sure we would not want to misinform newbies.
‘Gear’ ‘Gears’
‘Equipment’ ‘Equipments’

I see the use of Singlish on this forum to be a tad selfish especially for our foreign visitors.

The occasional ‘lah’ and spelling mistake is acceptable (we all make them) but if we want people from other countries to join in the discussions and community (and contribute alternate perspectives on our hobby), we should aspire to be more inclusive rather than exclusive. i.e. use standard English (American or British spelling, it doesn’t matter).

Perhaps we can avoid using colloquial terms like ‘Kan Cheong’, ‘Wa Liao’, ‘Kiasu’, etc.

Not using Singlish or these terms doesn’t make us any less Singaporean, does it?

However, I would suggest to nightbreed that he E-mail or ‘PM’ errant posters so as to not embarrass them (we all know that Asians love to keep their ‘face’). Let them make their own corrections and if they don’t, so be it (it is their loss).

(Please note that I do not know nightbreed from Adam, I’m just writing as I see it)

gadrian said:
Wolfgang.. I agree and disagree with you.. ....Again I say.. as long as he has not gone editing postings in other threads I feel.. why not.. heck for the fun of it.. I played along in this thread....

Different people have differernt levels of tolerance. I personally do not find it fun. There are no shortage of ways of having fun

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. .... I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the computer keyboard.

The above statement alone is an invitation to flames. I therefore take a dim view of what nightbreed has been doing. It smells more like a trolling attempt- could this be another experiment to see how tolerant CS'ers are?

I would like the moderators/admins to lock this thread

煮 豆 持 作 羹,
漉 豉 以 为 汁,
萁 在 釜 下 燃,
豆 在 釜 中 泣。
本 是 同 根 生,
相 煎 何 太 急。

可惜此殿并无熟读中书之贤人雅士, 一起吟诗做对,纠人语病, 改人瑕疵,做那画中仙, 实乃美中不足, 遗憾之恨事也。

:sweat:

goering said:
I would like the moderators/admins to lock this thread

Or just ignore this thread altogther?? :dunno:

I don't see why people are so worked up over this.

Just cool it man... this is a kopitiam!

if you don't like it, take your kopi and join other tables.

There is really no need to pull out your hair over this.

togu, this palace got chinese reader, but i doubts poems .... wer got time if we all keep busy shooting ... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.