My path towards becoming a commercial photog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick comment here.

Perhaps you should not answer on behalf of that photographer for rejecting you as an assistant. There are many signs of miscommunication in the scenario that you just described. Talk to him and tell him your emotional discomfort for being rejected w/o looking at your works. If you don't, you are simply assuming that he is discriminating you based on your personal interpretation of his behaviour (rejection).

I happen to be reading a psychology book right now. This is a good example of fundamental attribution error - the tendency to overestimate the influence of internal factors in determining behaviour while overestimating situational factors.

It's 5am. I'm sleepy but i'll cite one example. If a man rushes to a hospitial to see her dying mother. Along the way he knocked into you without apologizing and left. Are you going to say that he is discriminating you without you knowing the fact that he has his personal reasons for behaving that way? So knowing that he is rushing to see his mother one last time, are you still going to think that he is discriminating you?

All i want to say is, go talk to that photographer again and thrash things out.

Last thing i, and many others, want is to see discrimination being associated with photography.

As for obstacles in advancing your career due to language barriers, i do think the best thing to do is pick up the language if your mind is set on doing it.

spin,leejay and cosy ...thanks...

Spin i like the way u put it... Success is the best revenge !!

Lee ..true...every successful person, esp those not born with a silver spoon , certainly went thru ****...I have read many such motivational stories.

Cosy .. Yup i have tried signing up for major print/media companies in Singapore. Being a photojourn requires an exceptional talent and i know that. "Only successful candidates will be notified" that's the sentence they end with if u realise. So i never get a reply from them. I'm always looking in the papers or online to see if they have an opening and i sign up immediately. And i know the reasons why i cant penetrate that pool. I guess i'm fine with that partially.

Cosy ur last part...true !! thanks.

Sprewell -- I'm sorry but tht really cracked me up. :>

Maybe i did not state clearly.. i was rejected clearly due to my language barrier and skin. he clearly explained to me i wont make it cuz i dun belong to the major ethnicity and will be difficult for me to penetrate or communicate with top people in the industry who r more oriented towards the particular language.

I'm a rationale person and dun jump into conclusions. :>

"Last thing i, and many others, want is to see discrimination being associated with photography."
i'm really sorry Sprewell but if u noticed all the advise from others, they know the truth of wats going on.

N really thanks for ur advise.

In fact all of u guys who have taken your time to read my thread and took the effort and time to advise me. some have understood the real purpose of my thread , some have not. Anyways thanks again guys.

No MrChua...i only have hard copies...i hve displayed some of my simple works on my friendster.

Mr Matt....yup i know that . :>

Thanks guys..

let me first say that i too, belong to the "others" classification

there are ways to make full use of your differences to your benefit
be different and celebrate the difference

also behave, dress, speak and carry yourself like a photographer
hold your head high and have confidence

no one will believe in you
only if you do not believe in yourself

most photographers don't hire assistants based on their photographic work fyi

I personally agreed with the above.

If i'm a photographer and wanted to hire an assistants, the most important part is that i must be comfortable with him/her.

Even in the real world, i wouldn't join anyone, or want anyone that i don't feel comfortable with to join me for my macro field trip.

Life is quite unfair and you are not alone.

Good luck in the path toward your dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.