My Oh So Cute Pentax Q

The Q is growing on me.

Ok! When prices drop..

@ dan yeo

I assume you bought one ? Congrats. What color did you get?

I like the last pic with the kr key chain sitting on the Q's flash :cool:

Last edited:
Here is a quick comparison between the Q & K5.

As mentioned in the previous post, the photo taken with the Q was shot in jpg on portrait setting. The K5 photos was shot in raw. Not an apple to apple comparison but it does give an idea of how well the Q performs. Other than the differences in colour between the Q jpg and K5 RAW photos, WB (I have some problem with the K5) and the bokeh, I have to say that the Q's PQ is simply excellent :thumbsup:

1. Pentax Q - 01 Standard Prime. JPG. Portrait setting.
IMGP0155A.jpg

2. As in 1. but image brightened and colour saturation reduced in PP. I feel the colour in the default Portrait setting is too saturated. However, it can be fine tuned n camera.
IMGP0155C.jpg

3. K5 & Sigma 50mm 1.4. Shot in RAW
IMGP1482.jpg

4. K5 & Sigma 50mm 1.4. Shot in RAW
IMGP1484.jpg

Frankly, am surprised that the picture quality didnt turn out to be "bad" as I expected from a tiny sensor with 12MP. Not as sharp asthat of LX-5, but I would say on par with XZ-1. Color seems to be really natural, though a bit low on saturation, esp on yellows. Skin tones could be a little less red.

So far I think it's easily as sharp and saturated as the LX-5. We will have to wait for the detailed tests, but I doubt the LX-5's Panasonic zoom lens, albeit more flexible, can compete with a prime, especially from Pentax.

6153911329_1b1c670160_z_d.jpg

6154461712_b442e1d14d_z_d.jpg

Direct Out From Camera as JPEG and resized at Lightroom, very fun shots!

Last edited:
Picked up the "03 Fish-Eye" lens from OP this afternoon. Such a fun lens. It weighs all of 29g !

It is a manual lens but once you get the hang of the focusing process, it easy to use.

IMGP0230A.jpg

IMGP0233A-1.jpg

IMGP0235A.jpg

Continuing the B&W theme. These are shot with the 01 Prime. All wide open at f1.9

IMGP0212A-1.jpg

IMGP0211A-1.jpg

IMGP0185A-1.jpg

IMGP0176A.jpg

IMGP0177A.jpg

My impression is that the resolution (when using the standard prime 01) is excellent but the color and tonality is lacking (as compared to the K-5 / D700).

zoom3 can you post some low light / high iso color samples?

My impression is that the resolution (when using the standard prime 01) is excellent but the color and tonality is lacking (as compared to the K-5 / D700).

Its just a pns with new and interesting options (esp. lenses).
Don't expect anything above it in terms of image quality at high ISO.
Comparing to K5 or D700 is just setting it up for a hard fall.

Even my GF1 can't compare in DR; ISO; handling to K5 (or course I did not expect it to)
But its a nice camera in its own way.

Just compare any of the top notch PnS (ie. G12; XZ-1; LX-5) on Imaging Resource and you'll find that the gap is still far indeed.
The thing to accept when using such cameras is that they are meant for normal viewing sizes.

pinholecam - Yah, it is not really fair to compare, I guess it has been too long since I last used a compact cam. But although the very good resolving power of the Q+standard prime 01 is very nice, resolution is less critical than accurate color (for me at least) for web size display.

Overall, I like the pictures the Q produces but the pricing is seriously killer. I might as well top up a bit more and get a NEX-5N.

colours pretty flat and dull

Ha ha! Can't compare to the K5 :bsmilie: I will be most upset if it matches the K5 but it is closer than one can expect! The beauty actually lies in the fantastic 01 Prime. Set it at f1.9 and one can happily snap away with excellent sharpness and deep DOF (which is not good for those seeking bokeh :D). It lets in so much light that high ISO is not needed in most situation.

I don't have any low light high ISO pic to show. As for the color and tonality, I felt that it is very good. True to Pentax style, the colors are natural in the JPG "natural" setting (& in RAW) but can be boosted with the different JPG settings. I also have the LX3. It's color is deep and vibrant but I don't like it because it is not true to life.

The Q is truly a great partner for any full size Pentax DSLR. I understand the K to Q adapter will be here very soon. Can you imagine how much fun can be had then? Just throw the Q & K5 into the camera bag and all sorts of interesting possibilities open up.

24. Not the best composition but it shows the beautiful true colors. And the WB is spot on.
IMGP0146A.jpg

Last edited:
A very expensive "toy" indeed. Good as a holiday cam.

pinholecam - Yah, it is not really fair to compare, I guess it has been too long since I last used a compact cam. But although the very good resolving power of the Q+standard prime 01 is very nice, resolution is less critical than accurate color (for me at least) for web size display.

Overall, I like the pictures the Q produces but the pricing is seriously killer. I might as well top up a bit more and get a NEX-5N.

Different use over m4/3 and APS-C mirrorless (ie. NEX), which is what I think Pentax went for.
Certainly not enthusiast mainstream.
Very small; Very large DOF even from wide open which does have its uses (as mentioned by zoom3; seldom need to stop down or change ISO in many situations); interesting options coupled with fast, long, macro lenses.

I'm pretty sure this is a fantastic street photography camera.

I'm waiting for 2 things.
1. Adapters to become widely avaliable to make use of fast C-mount lenses and existing Pentax lenses for unique telephoto and macro opportunities.
2. More importantly; Price. Just too pricey right now given the options of cameras I can play with at the moment for me for now (ie. MF; 35mm film; m4/3; K5)

Last edited:
Just played with the Q just awhile ago and I have to say I'm pretty impressed.