Not open for further replies.

Edmund

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
eoslightbox.com
Bear with me, this is a rather long-winded story. :p

I sent in my favourite slide of 2001 (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46) for a slide to print job last Tuesday. Was told by them that it'll take 3 days to do but the lady told me to come back on Saturday morning to collect. Before I was served, the customer just before me was asked to come back 30mins later to collect his prints as they weren't ready.

On Saturday, I didn't have time to go in the morning, so I went in the evening instead. Before I went, something in me told me to give them a call first, so I did. The lady seemed rather unsure of my slide to print job but finally told me to come down an hour later. To give them more time, I decided to go down much later and reached there around 6:40pm. After checking the print (10x15), I noticed a long black mark at the bottom centre of the photo, since this is obviously not on my slide, I requested a reprint. As they were closing for the day, I was told to come back the next day. (During my wait, a customer who came in to collect his photos was told to wait for 30mins, which I thought, was rather odd and coincidental after Tuesdays' "incident".).

Today, I went down at 5pm expecting to collect my photo (and half expecting to be told to wait again) and I wasn't disappointed. Not only had they not done my reprint yet, they also didn't know what was my initial complaint about. The guy at the machine talked to another lady and seemed rather unhappy about having to redo the photo (as they have to switch some components to do the slide print). While I was waiting, 3 other customers were also told to wait as their prints weren't ready yet (or rather, they just looked for the negs to do the printing when the customers arrived trying to collect their processed negs and prints).

The guy checked my slides many times, even in front of me with a loupe as the counter had a daylight corrected light panel. After being satisfied that it was his machine that gave the dirt, he proceeded to reprint my slide. In the meantime, I had also requested that he adjusted the saturation of the print for me as the earlier print had rather dull colors. When the print was finally done, I checked and noticed another black mark (line) on the face of the Barbary Sheep as well as on the leaves in the background and the right side corner. Additionally, the color saturation was also not adjusted to match that on slide. At this point, I gave up and decided not to pursue this further since I was rushing and had wasted both time and money coming down on 2 days just to collect my print. Imagine my horror when I got to my parent-in-laws place and discovered many many many fine scratches on the non-emulsion side!!! Since I did not send in a single mounted slide, the other photos on the same strip were scratched as well.

Morale of the story:
  • if you are looking for consistent quality, don't go to Konota, they aren't known for it. (I say this not only from my own experiences but from complaints by others who have used them as well.
  • irregardless of whether you are worried that the processor might leave fingerprints on your slides (yes, that was silly me thinking that it'll be easier for them to hold a strip rather than a single slide), try to send in mounted slides (with easy to remove mounts) so that any damages will be limited to those that you have sent in.
Now before anyone starts questioning why I have posted my displeasure with just a "single" unpleasant experience, I hasten to add that this is not the first time I have dealt with Konota, although this is the first time I went directly to them. Those who know me will know that I usually send my film to Ruby Photo who will pass them to the processors of my choice. After having experienced Konota's inconsistent quality a few times, I no longer asked Ruby Photo to send to Konota but to other processors instead.

Some of you may ask, so why did I do it again this time, well, I'm a sucker for punishment, and besides, I have never asked Konota to do any slides to print job!! How else would I have known that I was going be a victim of their consistently inconsistent quailty?? :dunno:

Originally posted by Edmund

[*]irregardless of whether you are worried that the processor might leave fingerprints on your slides (yes, that was silly me thinking that it'll be easier for them to hold a strip rather than a single slide), try to send in mounted slides (with easy to remove mounts) so that any damages will be limited to those that you have sent in.
[/list]

You mean they need to remove the slide mount before they print? That sounds rather bad.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

You mean they need to remove the slide mount before they print? That sounds rather bad.
Yup that was my experience in the past where they need to remove the slide mount before scanning. Unless the machines now are different.

Dear ET,

Regarding the issue, you have my SYMPATHY and I hope that you'll not take it to heart......

Wau Lau..... not like mi to say things like that man~! ARrgghhhh

I shld be saying things like

"HAHAHHAAaa....... So?"

Hehhee.......

Anyway, thanks for letting us know abt it. Now I'll go try KJ... once it opened on Fri!

Yup that was my experience in the past where they need to remove the slide mount before scanning. Unless the machines now are different.

Hmm... some of my slides are on those machine-mounted, non-removable mounts.....

Regards
CK

Sorry to hear Edmund. Unfortunately, I've been fairly unhappy with the service provided by the "pro" labs in Singapore. Not so much the quality, but the service provided when things go wrong, or their willingness to talk to you on a one to one basis, as a professional.

Alas, I can't recommend one, so...

I'm wondering whether the alternative is going digital in the sense of scanning your own slides and doing your own photoshopping before sending it to be printed so say, a fuji machine.

Even though the average scanner may not be as good as the Fuji system, will it really matter for say, 5R? Theres also the plus that you get to photoshop away your mistakes, change colour balance (digital 81A filter etc)

Alternatively I am thinking of a dye sublimation printer. However, all the budget ones so far print up to 4R only. Give the huge megapixel increases in digicams, I hope that cheap 8R printing will be close behind. The Olympus P-400 is US$899-999 still a bit ex (considering consumables prices) and anyway, is the P-400 available in Singapore?

Erwin,

Kodak 8600 dyesub printers appear off and on on ebay UK and usually fetch no more than 400 quid. Takes the same media as the current line.

Originally posted by erwinx
I'm wondering whether the alternative is going digital in the sense of scanning your own slides and doing your own photoshopping before sending it to be printed so say, a fuji machine.

Even though the average scanner may not be as good as the Fuji system, will it really matter for say, 5R? Theres also the plus that you get to photoshop away your mistakes, change colour balance (digital 81A filter etc)

Alternatively I am thinking of a dye sublimation printer. However, all the budget ones so far print up to 4R only. Give the huge megapixel increases in digicams, I hope that cheap 8R printing will be close behind. The Olympus P-400 is US$899-999 still a bit ex (considering consumables prices) and anyway, is the P-400 available in Singapore?
Indeed, if you're just going for small sized prints (even 8R!), buying your own film scanner to do scans for printing off your desktop computer would probably be a more appealing solution then dealing with all the frustrations and heartaches that come FOC with many commercial film processors.

In my case, I own a Canon FS2710 which is (or at least I) now considered a low end film scanner. This scanner, while it doesn't have Nikon's Digital ICE or Canon's FARE for dust & scratch removal, has served me well for some time now. (I bought it before the introduction of Canon's FS4000).

As to making 10RW (10x15") prints (or bigger) like the one I just did, I would think that quality "should" be better if scanned and printed using Fuji's machines since I believe these machines would probably have a wider dynamic range (important for slides and especially those photos which have colours that are at both extremes of the spectrum) and hence produce better scans for the resulting prints.

Hi,

Although i experience some pretty bad job from konota, i still frequent there cause mr quck does a pretty good job in adjusting the CMYD(Cyan, Megenta, Yellow) But i still get some white dots from their 8R (neg) enlargement, dunno if other labs produce the same result? Will try out photofriend and do a comparison soon. Sometime can't tahan the lady, either print without border when i request for it or give me wrong change. But because i'm a regular, they do help me deliver my prints faster. So got to give and take.

My experience with Konota's slide to print has been good! Especially with velvia! Like i say, i may be bias as i haven't tried others! What i know is that mr quck does print from slide mount with taking it out from the mount, he has a mount holder! Anyway, i think he's a friendly guy and wouldn't make a fuss if you can show him that something is wrong with the prints and not the slides or neg.

just my 2 cents worth :)

Bear with me, this is a rather long-winded story. :p

I sent in my favourite slide of 2001 (http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46) for a slide to print job last Tuesday. Was told by them that it'll take 3 days to do but the lady told me to come back on Saturday morning to collect. Before I was served, the customer just before me was asked to come back 30mins later to collect his prints as they weren't ready.

On Saturday, I didn't have time to go in the morning, so I went in the evening instead. Before I went, something in me told me to give them a call first, so I did. The lady seemed rather unsure of my slide to print job but finally told me to come down an hour later. To give them more time, I decided to go down much later and reached there around 6:40pm. After checking the print (10x15), I noticed a long black mark at the bottom centre of the photo, since this is obviously not on my slide, I requested a reprint. As they were closing for the day, I was told to come back the next day. (During my wait, a customer who came in to collect his photos was told to wait for 30mins, which I thought, was rather odd and coincidental after Tuesdays' "incident".).

Today, I went down at 5pm expecting to collect my photo (and half expecting to be told to wait again) and I wasn't disappointed. Not only had they not done my reprint yet, they also didn't know what was my initial complaint about. The guy at the machine talked to another lady and seemed rather unhappy about having to redo the photo (as they have to switch some components to do the slide print). While I was waiting, 3 other customers were also told to wait as their prints weren't ready yet (or rather, they just looked for the negs to do the printing when the customers arrived trying to collect their processed negs and prints).

The guy checked my slides many times, even in front of me with a loupe as the counter had a daylight corrected light panel. After being satisfied that it was his machine that gave the dirt, he proceeded to reprint my slide. In the meantime, I had also requested that he adjusted the saturation of the print for me as the earlier print had rather dull colors. When the print was finally done, I checked and noticed another black mark (line) on the face of the Barbary Sheep as well as on the leaves in the background and the right side corner. Additionally, the color saturation was also not adjusted to match that on slide. At this point, I gave up and decided not to pursue this further since I was rushing and had wasted both time and money coming down on 2 days just to collect my print. Imagine my horror when I got to my parent-in-laws place and discovered many many many fine scratches on the non-emulsion side!!! Since I did not send in a single mounted slide, the other photos on the same strip were scratched as well.

Morale of the story:
  • if you are looking for consistent quality, don't go to Konota, they aren't known for it. (I say this not only from my own experiences but from complaints by others who have used them as well.
  • irregardless of whether you are worried that the processor might leave fingerprints on your slides (yes, that was silly me thinking that it'll be easier for them to hold a strip rather than a single slide), try to send in mounted slides (with easy to remove mounts) so that any damages will be limited to those that you have sent in.
Now before anyone starts questioning why I have posted my displeasure with just a "single" unpleasant experience, I hasten to add that this is not the first time I have dealt with Konota, although this is the first time I went directly to them. Those who know me will know that I usually send my film to Ruby Photo who will pass them to the processors of my choice. After having experienced Konota's inconsistent quality a few times, I no longer asked Ruby Photo to send to Konota but to other processors instead.

Some of you may ask, so why did I do it again this time, well, I'm a sucker for punishment, and besides, I have never asked Konota to do any slides to print job!! How else would I have known that I was going be a victim of their consistently inconsistent quailty?? :dunno:

oh shucks i just sent like 6 rolls of NPH400 to konota to develop and print. my first time trying them after some recommendation from a photog fren. anyone know how their colour negs are like? jia lat i really hope they don't screw up my negs... :what:

Originally posted by firefox13
oh shucks i just sent like 6 rolls of NPH400 to konota to develop and print. my first time trying them after some recommendation from a photog fren. anyone know how their colour negs are like? jia lat i really hope they don't screw up my negs... :what:

They are okay, but when I did a side-by-side comparison of their prints with colour lab's (same set of negs), colour lab has the edge.

Regards
CK

hey man, where's konota? thx

newbie :p

Status
Not open for further replies.