My new tripod

emotap

Nov 1, 2010
I'm a newbie and just bought my first tripod the Hama Traveller Compact Pro. tripod was recommended by the shop which is within my budget. Any CS member ever used this particular brand before. Seems like not so much reviews on this product. Still i'm quite happy with it features and construction.

I'm a newbie and just bought my first tripod the Hama Traveller Compact Pro. tripod was recommended by the shop which is within my budget. Any CS member ever used this particular brand before. Seems like not so much reviews on this product. Still i'm quite happy with it features and construction.

Must say that I've not heard of Hama before, which shop did you get it from?

Must say that I've not heard of Hama before, which shop did you get it from?

found the website for Hama Product
http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/articl...D05037375DCDD004561BCDFD18EF3.tomcat_uk_lin26

and its features

- 4-section tripod legs (3x extendible)
- Light aluminium construction
- 3D ball head for professional use
- Quick release plate with safety catch and "click function"
- Rotating centre column for macro photography (retro setting)
- "Column brake" for locking the centre column into position
- Tripod legs can be expanded, for optimum proximity to the ground
- Rubber feet and retracting steel spikes for absolutely secure positioning
- Handy quick-action leg locks to fix the leg length
- Non-slip foam grip at the tripod legs against cold and for a secure grip
- Incl. weighting hook
- Incl. spirit level
- Incl. high-quality, black tripod case
- Weight: 1370 g
- Profile thickness: 23 mm
- Minimal height: 52 cm
- Height (when fully extended): 163 cm
- Supports loads of up to: 10 kg
- Colour: black/grey
- Use: Photo/Video (3D)
- Colour: Black
- Model: Tripods

Looks pretty decent from the specs, how much did you pay? and where?

u bought tripod with the ballhead?

any indicative price range u paid for?

u bought tripod with the ballhead?

any indicative price range u paid for?

not sure what is a ball head,,,i think it is a ballhead if i'm not mistaken cause it shape like a big ball bearing and it right underneath the camera mount is:embrass:. Price is about $90-100

its a very decent price... good for you!

use it and let us here about its performance!

not sure what is a ball head,,,i think it is a ballhead if i'm not mistaken cause it shape like a big ball bearing and it right underneath the camera mount is:embrass:. Price is about $90-100

Ok price. but anything above 100 for this would be overpriced.

Looks like a re-branded victory tripod... with the copy of the manfrotto ballhead with the copy of the manfrotto RC2 quick release. Is the ballhead aluminium, plastic or cast iron? And the QR plate looks funky with the cork anti-slip. Be sure to smell it to see if it smells bad (a common problem).

Last edited:
Ok price. but anything above 100 for this would be overpriced.

Looks like a re-branded victory tripod... with the copy of the manfrotto ballhead with the copy of the manfrotto RC2 quick release. Is the ballhead aluminium, plastic or cast iron?

Ballhead is certainly not plastic. its either alu. or cast iron. I'm at work right now maybe this evening i use a magnet to test it.

Ballhead is certainly not plastic. its either alu. or cast iron. I'm at work right now maybe this evening i use a magnet to test it.

You should be able to feel the weight... looking at the texture, i would think it is aluminium...

This is the ballhead it is trying to copy
manfrotto_486rc2.jpg

Last edited:
You should be able to feel the weight... looking at the texture, i would think it is aluminium...

This is the ballhead it is trying to copy
manfrotto_486rc2.jpg

Yes! its exactly like that.. pretty solid construction. except the camera mount pad is not rubber type but a about 3mm kork sheet(cant spell the correct spell c*** word ).

Yes! its exactly like that.. pretty solid construction. except the camera mount pad is not rubber type but a about 3mm kork sheet(cant spell the correct spell c*** word ).

Haha why not? Cork is a perfectly fine word. Is the ballhead rated for 10kg as well? Because the 486RC2 can only take 6kg

Haha why not? Cork is a perfectly fine word. Is the ballhead rated for 10kg as well? Because the 486RC2 can only take 6kg

well you really have to see how they calculate max weight... ;) There is no fixed standard for that...

For example: manfrotto's 190xprob is rated by manfrotto for up to max 5 KG. I also have the sirui T-1004x that is rated by sirui for up to max 10 KG.

But if you ask me which one is more stable, and can carry more weight? Manfrotto 190xproB can carry more and is definitely more stable.

So take max weight specs with a pinch of salt. ;)

hmmm is it also 450g in weight? If it is, I wonder how they manage to get the head and tripod all in at 1.2 kgs.

Something's got to give.. :dunno:

well you really have to see how they calculate max weight... ;) There is no fixed standard for that...

For example: manfrotto's 190xprob is rated by manfrotto for up to max 5 KG. I also have the sirui T-1004x that is rated by sirui for up to max 10 KG.

But if you ask me which one is more stable, and can carry more weight? Manfrotto 190xproB can carry more and is definitely more stable.

So take max weight specs with a pinch of salt. ;)

I see I see, agree that the chinese manufacturers do tend to claim that their products have better specs, the western manufacturer's claims are more grounded.

not sure if it can take up to that load. but the bottom center hook can take up to 10kg of weight for stability..("can hang french fries while waiting for the right moment to fire" said one of the sales staff where i bought the tripod...he he he funny:bsmilie:. )now then if tripod can withstand up to 10kgs of weight i assume the ballhead can take that kind of load also. so the construction of the tripod is preatty much solid i think (see it feature on my earlier post)

I see I see, agree that the chinese manufacturers do tend to claim that their products have better specs, the western manufacturer's claims are more grounded.

It's not just the chinese manufacturers...

some western manufacturers do the same. It varies from company to company.

But sirui is really exceptionally good for the money. Just pointing this out as an example.

not sure if it can take up to that load. but the bottom center hook can take up to 10kg of weight for stability..("can hang french fries while waiting for the right moment to fire" said one of the sales staff where i bought the tripod...he he he funny:bsmilie:. )now then if tripod can withstand up to 10kgs of weight i assume the ballhead can take that kind of load also. so the construction of the tripod is preatty much solid i think (see it feature on my earlier post)

Taking the weight is one thing. Taking the weight and still remain stable for shooting is another. The key is not hold weight itself. But you need to see if the lock on the ball head is strong enough for heavy gear. Most cheaper ball heads will creep even after locking down tight.

I bought this tripod today at SITEX. pretty decent and bigger as compare to fancier which is about the same price. I still yet to test out (on field to test photoshooting).