My new SLIK PRO 400DX broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaXiong

Feb 17, 2006
Hi all,

I just bought a SLIK PRO 400DX tripod from CP few days ago. It comes with pan & tilt head. Only use it once. Today, when i want to mount my camera on it again, i found my quick release lever is not there anymore.:bigeyes: Check it carefully, found the lever broken. :cry: I always handle it carefully and never drop it. I wonder why the quality of the lever is so weak? It makes me worry about the tripod legs lock clip which is made in plastic too. :sweat:
SLIK product quality so low one meh?? or just i m not lucky to have a poor quality one.

One more qurstion.. based on u guys experiences, will CP replace another head for me ? or even better i would like to exchange to other brand. It makes me lost confidence on SLIK ler.. ;(

Another Question, which brand of tripod head should i get? Beside than ball head set up faster & Pan & tilt more precise, what is the pros & cons for both ball head & pan & tilt ?
Sigh....

Maybe you can consult Doraemon for help... :bsmilie:

Just bring back to CP and show them what happened.
If there is no mark of mishandling, hopefully they will replace for you. ;)

obewan said:
Maybe you can consult Doraemon for help... :bsmilie:

Just bring back to CP and show them what happened.
If there is no mark of mishandling, hopefully they will replace for you. ;)

Yup, if jus ta few days, you can try getting CP to replace. Call them up and tell them your situation.

Alternatively, you can buy the pan and tilt head from me... I've got one, completely new ('cos changed to ball head). Heh heh

mephesto said:
Yup, if jus ta few days, you can try getting CP to replace. Call them up and tell them your situation.

Alternatively, you can buy the pan and tilt head from me... I've got one, completely new ('cos changed to ball head). Heh heh

Hi mephesto,

What is the model of ur pan & tilt head? HOw much u intend to sell me?
Even if CP willing to replace a head for me, i think most likely i will buy a better one which is more durable. Did a research last nite, Manfrotto 141RC is my choice. Hmm.. around sgd 70. sigh.. need to spend my hard earn cash again.. :cry:

Beside that, may i know is it most of the tripod's leg locking lever made in plastic too? The SLIK leg lock lever is made in plastic too. i wonder when will it break ler...

Bring your receipt from CP when u go change. I recommend tripod brands such as Gitzo or Manfrotto as they are of better quality and a lot more durable. Go for those which have interchangeable heads too.

DaXiong said:
Hi mephesto,

What is the model of ur pan & tilt head? HOw much u intend to sell me?
Even if CP willing to replace a head for me, i think most likely i will buy a better one which is more durable. Did a research last nite, Manfrotto 141RC is my choice. Hmm.. around sgd 70. sigh.. need to spend my hard earn cash again.. :cry:

Beside that, may i know is it most of the tripod's leg locking lever made in plastic too? The SLIK leg lock lever is made in plastic too. i wonder when will it break ler...

If you intend to get the 141RC, check out the 190series tripods. They go well together. Total weight is about 2.5kg supporting a max load of between 5-7 kg depending on the particular model.

wow.. lots of broken tripod recently... i never knew they can break... I guess my dad's tripod (Teknon) is consider no bad. 5 yrs of rough usage and it is still "alive".

haha my 400DX pan head also broke after it drop while it was on standing position when i was sleeping inside the train ... heard the replacement is abt $20 from cp for the tap but i ended up getting a manfrotto 488RC2 ball head once and for all :)

yyD70S said:
If you intend to get the 141RC, check out the 190series tripods. They go well together. Total weight is about 2.5kg supporting a max load of between 5-7 kg depending on the particular model.

190 series is 5kg max load, 055 series is 7kg. :)

S11loop said:
haha my 400DX pan head also broke after it drop while it was on standing position when i was sleeping inside the train ... heard the replacement is abt $20 from cp for the tap but i ended up getting a manfrotto 488RC2 ball head once and for all :)

Gd choice, i'm using the 4kg version of yours, the 484RC2.

dragos said:
i think it is just a lemon, my slik is still going on and on...after 5 years.
I second that. My 400DX is still great after 4 years!
Incidentally, DaXiong, how much did you pay for the 400DX? Just wanted to know the present pricing of it.

Hmm.. maybe i m just unlucky. Just like DaXiong in the cartoon. always have bad luck. sigh.... where is my DingDang??!! *sob*...

I bought mine at SGD 170 (incl GST) a Manfrotto bag cost me another SGD 35. Total SGD 205. Sold by Christ (intro a bit: a nice uncle with spec, he also an instructor for SAFRA photography course:thumbsup: ) if i remember his name correctly lar. I bought it just after another CSer bought the same set too.

Yup. i did go back CP & ask them, replacement cost of the quick release lever is ard SGD 20-30. Need to send back to workshop some more. Hmm.. personally think that it is not worth it. By looking at the lever itself, it is really fragile. Made in very thin plastic & not really solid. ( u will know what i say if u compare Manfrotto 141RC quick release lever) I think after replacement, it'll soon break again under my hand. (i think i m a rude man:angry: haha.. ) Sincerely, i advise SLIK users take extra care on the lever. must treat her gentle a bit. But since it comes free with the tripod, cannot demand too much also lar. consider a free gift oredi mah. hee.. Manfrotto one made in metal ler, got double locking system too. hmm,, not bad not bad. . more suitable for a rude & careless man like me.. hee..

After "serious" consideration, finally i end up buying 484RC2 ball head.(486RC no more stock!)
Initially want to buy 141RC cos personally i prefer pan & tilt. But 141RC really too heavy for me. 1kg ler:bigeyes: . 141RC + 400DX = 1+2.5 = 3.5kg :sweat:

484RC2 look "small & cute". 1st impression? look too weak to support D70 +80-200. But looking at spec, it can tahan 4kg which is more than enuff for my application lar.

Any 484RC2 user mind to give some feedback on this ball head?

Canew said:
DaXiong, how much was the 484RC2 ball head? Is it attached onto your 400 DX now?

484RC2 costs me SGD75 screw adapter SGD2. yup. it is attach on my 400DX now.:D

Question:
Do u guys always detach the tripod head after use? or just leave it together with tripod for storage? :dunno:

DaXiong said:
Thanks DaXiong, for the pricing. How do you find the 484RC2? There was a Giottos ballhead (don't know the model no.) on sale at CP going for $150. Wonder how does the two of them compare?

Question:
Do u guys always detach the tripod head after use? or just leave it together with tripod for storage? :dunno:
Answer:
No, I don't detach as I have only the original pan head! :bsmilie:

Canew said:
Thanks DaXiong, for the pricing. How do you find the 484RC2? There was a Giottos ballhead (don't know the model no.) on sale at CP going for $150. Wonder how does the two of them compare?

Question:
Answer:
No, I don't detach as I have only the original pan head! :bsmilie:

If i am not wrong, the Giottos ballhead come with another knob which is to adjsut the ball friction. Meaning to say that, u can adjust the ball friction according to your own preference. (the ball will not drop immediately u release the locking knob.) As for 484RC2, the ball moves freely once u unlock it. :D

Try them out at CP & u will know the difference. I think staff there r happy to serve u ;)

DaXiong said:
Hmm.. maybe i m just unlucky. Just like DaXiong in the cartoon. always have bad luck. sigh.... where is my DingDang??!! *sob*...

I bought mine at SGD 170 (incl GST) a Manfrotto bag cost me another SGD 35. Total SGD 205. Sold by Christ (intro a bit: a nice uncle with spec, he also an instructor for SAFRA photography course:thumbsup: ) if i remember his name correctly lar. I bought it just after another CSer bought the same set too.

Yup. i did go back CP & ask them, replacement cost of the quick release lever is ard SGD 20-30. Need to send back to workshop some more. Hmm.. personally think that it is not worth it. By looking at the lever itself, it is really fragile. Made in very thin plastic & not really solid. ( u will know what i say if u compare Manfrotto 141RC quick release lever) I think after replacement, it'll soon break again under my hand. (i think i m a rude man:angry: haha.. ) Sincerely, i advise SLIK users take extra care on the lever. must treat her gentle a bit. But since it comes free with the tripod, cannot demand too much also lar. consider a free gift oredi mah. hee.. Manfrotto one made in metal ler, got double locking system too. hmm,, not bad not bad. . more suitable for a rude & careless man like me.. hee..

After "serious" consideration, finally i end up buying 484RC2 ball head.(486RC no more stock!)
Initially want to buy 141RC cos personally i prefer pan & tilt. But 141RC really too heavy for me. 1kg ler:bigeyes: . 141RC + 400DX = 1+2.5 = 3.5kg :sweat:

484RC2 look "small & cute". 1st impression? look too weak to support D70 +80-200. But looking at spec, it can tahan 4kg which is more than enuff for my application lar.

Any 484RC2 user mind to give some feedback on this ball head?

U've found the right person! I'm using a 484RC2 on my Manfrotto 055Pro and i must say it's very gd in terms of the ball head staying immobilised even if it's not fully tightened. The only thing it lacks is the spirit level on the ballhead itself but only more expensive ballheads have it. Oh yah...it also doesn't have a dedicated pan knob as for the 484RC2 is fully controlled by a single lever. Overall it's a gd start for me!

DaXiong said:

Question:

i got mine at $70 at MS colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.