My MVP (most valuable purchase)

ballwackers

Apr 19, 2007
Upper Bukit Timah
In 15+ yrs of casual photography, after owning a 350D, 30D, 40D and now Nikon D7000 and many lenses, what was my most VALUABLE purchase? My little SB400 flash.

Nikon SB-400

Most of my shots are outdoor with reasonable light and the minority are indoor: i've tried to adjust by cranking up the ISO, using large aperture (f/1.4 etc) but the best results by far are to take this little flash, angle the bounce towards the ceiling and shoot away at f/5.6 (usually ISO 400).

I did not want to spend $$ on an accecssory that is big and used 5%-10% of the time. then i found this little flash...

This is where some of you reading this will shake your head and say 'duh, of course' but hopefully some amatuers who do not use flahes and try to crank up the ISO (like i did before) will find this valuable.

Hope it helps a few folks,

Agreed.

The best purchases might not be necessary the most expensive in the list.

Last edited:
Good to hear that.

Mod Ortega says, if a piece of equipment you don't use it, it is very expensive even it only cost you $1.

I like to add; wherever a piece of equipment, which you can fully utilise it, it is a most VALUABLE purchase, regardless you are paying $10 or $1000 for that.

I say if you buy a piece of equipment and you bring back a photograph that you love and treasure, even if that lens or whatever accessory helped you nail only that one shot, it is a most valuable purchase. If you want to have a piece of equipment that is used a lot, then it is really the most useful purchase.

So ot depends on what you are looking for, well used or served you well?

So deciding if a purchase is most valuable based on number of use, imo, is pathetic. Cause based on most used then the kit lens is definitely the most used. But that exotic that hardly leaves your cabinet but have delivered that prized shot, is what I would treasure.

Most value for money D-SLR ever; D700.

95% of a D3. 85% of a D3S. The only thing it sucks in is jpeg rendition and AWB.

I used 3 through a course of 2 years or so. The least money spent to produce really good results especially in RAW.

SB-400 was a godsend back in 2006, having to lug a 17-35 and 70-200 for trips, and yet squeeze another SB-800 was horrendous.

SB-400 saved the day.

One of the cheapest lenses I have, yet probably the most 'valuable' lens - 35/2 AFD.

I think my best purchase is the 28-200g lens. very versatile lens.

My MVP has been the D700 as it got me back to concentrating on photography.

Since, I had been "chasing the light" instead of "more equipments".

mines a manfrotto tripod a Mbd11 battery grip. the grip makes the d7000 feel so right in my hands

Replacement and modded li-on batteries for my D1X camera...my favorite walkabout digital camera.

I will vote for my 50mm prime as my MVP.

Be it my 1.8 or 1.4 , can't go wrong if I can't

decide on what to bring for any given outing.

My old Nikon 85mm micro PC. Even after switching over Canon for past few yrs I am still using it ( cross adapted ).

Ryan

I think it would be D300s body. I am expecting the replacement is coming soon, nonetheless I am going to stick with DX. It's really the MVP to me.

50mm 1.8g -Low on cost. High on returns. High ROI. 17-55 f2.8g - Big investment initially but been using it since 2005. Now has turned into max revenue lens. So max ROI :)

My MVP has been the D700 as it got me back to concentrating on photography.

Since, I had been "chasing the light" instead of "more equipments".

yup same. I have changed like 4 cameras in 2 years before I have stuck with D700 for maybe 2-3 years now.

dniwkh said:
yup same. I have changed like 4 cameras in 2 years before I have stuck with D700 for maybe 2-3 years now.

Haha, I'm half your number, but my current D700 is older than my first D90 :p