My monitor display is turning yellowish ... time to get a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi guys, need your expert advice here.

My monitor, i.e. a Sony G420 is randomly showing yellow cast and I fear the worst ...

Does that mean my monitor's dying or my video card is giving my problem ...

Anyway, I'm somewhat prepared for the worst ... so you guys got any good suggestions for large screen monitors?

Currently I'm toying my thoughts with:

1. Apple Cinema Display 20" Flat Display @ S$1338.75
Dell™ 20" UltraSharp™ Flat Panel LCD Monitor @ S$1148.70
3. An EIZO 19" ... dunno which model yet ...

Your input will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Adam Goi said:

My monitor, i.e. a Sony G420 is randomly showing yellow cast and I fear the worst ...

Anyway, I'm somewhat prepared for the worst ... so you guys got any good suggestions for large screen monitors?

What ever you get, 19" is a better choice compare the price with the 20":thumbsup:

i suppose eizo would b a good choice...
juz curious n i haf no intention to buy, but, where can we get eizo monitor here in sg? do we hafta order? or is there any distributor here?

detrop said:
i suppose eizo would b a good choice...
juz curious n i haf no intention to buy, but, where can we get eizo monitor here in sg? do we hafta order? or is there any distributor here?

SimLim Square have tonne of choice.. Can find out there.:thumbsup:

If you want to upgrade, skip the 19" and go straight to 20". The additional resolution is worth it. The Dell 2001FP is very good. The 2005FPW is even better (not available here very unfortunately). It uses the same panel as the Apple and gives you a lot more inputs. If you don't need more than a DVI input, the Apple is a good choice. However, unlike most other monitors, the Apple only has a 1 year warranty.

You can also consider the Philips 20W6 which goes for $1599 with a free Philips 17" LCD with DVI (170B6 I think), then sell/give away the 17".

Check out the LCD specs at www.prad.de, they have more detailed specs than the manufacturers. From there you can check out how many bits/pixel they are, what panel they are using, etc. Go for a S-IPS panel if possible, followed by xVA (where x and be M, P etc).

Regards
CK

Wah...so coincident....just prior to recent PC show.....my G420 also died.....mine was purplerish.....I tried to play around with the menu and guess the Green of the RGB is dead....called Sony service center but found out it was out of warranty.....decided not to bother to repair and went for a Viewsonic LCD instead....it was really heart pain decision as mine is still looks like showroom piece......it even took me quite a headache to dispose because of the weight...but finally just 2 weeks ago it went to a Karong guni for $25 :)

Urgh ... I just realised that I may have to change my graphics card ... still using my good old GeForce 5200 card ... haiz ... but if I get a AGP-based card now but given nowadays AGP cards are giving way to PCI-X ...

I think you can get the apple monitor at a cheaper price via education discounts given to teachers.

Adam Goi said:
Urgh ... I just realised that I may have to change my graphics card ... still using my good old GeForce 5200 card ... haiz ... but if I get a AGP-based card now but given nowadays AGP cards are giving way to PCI-X ...
If you don't game a lot, the 5200 should still suffice. AGP 8X are still ok.

Regards
CK

amospi said:
What ever you get, 19" is a better choice compare the price with the 20":thumbsup:

no way

19" same resolution as 17", in fact, 19in is not worth the $$

20" is 1600 x 1200 while 19" only 1280 x 1024

the different is 47%!!!

Adam Goi said:

For quality and beauty, I strongly recommend Apple Cinema Display 20" Flat Display :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Adam Goi said:

Here my additional input. :devil:
If you additional cash to spare, get the best, forget the rest. :devil:

30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg
indexcompg506282004.jpg

Adam Goi said:

go for the 20" apple, it's a nice piece of kit.

btw the price for the eizo 19" CG-series is approx 2.3k from the local distri.

www.powermatic.com.sg

cheers

Yoz! For yr old monitor, check the cable that connects from your monitor to your PC.. it may be faulty.. fiddle wif it and see if the yellow cast appears.. if it does, den yr monitor can be repaired.. That is if you want to pay for repair.. :)

Apple flat screen is good.. Philips' & Dell's products doesn't have good QA nowadays and the risk of failure juz after 1 yr is highly possible.. Other brands like Viewsonic, Samsung are at least much better.

If u want help wif repair or dispose of yr old monitor.. u can call me. ;p

i seconded the monitor cable.. sometimes it could be just a broken or bend pin.

King Tiger said:
Here my additional input. :devil:
If you additional cash to spare, get the best, forget the rest. :devil:

30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display
indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg
indexcompg506282004.jpg
I sense something :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.