My Mom poured coffee on my bag of gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
last monday, was having a short break at kopitiam with my family. mu mom accidently poured a full cup of hot coffee on my lowepro slingshot200 with my 350D, 100-400L,28-105,kenko 2x,sigma super Dg500, 50mm 1.8 and 2 piece of 1GB CF card ,8Gb MD +++

my heart sank as i saw the coffee poured directly on it. i thought my gears sure gone case as I did not put the AW cover on. quickly wipe off whatever coffee I can with a hanky. took a quick peek inside and was relief to see no stain inside. quickly rush home (luckily was near my house liao) and quickly taqke out all the content from the bag. Throw bad aside and inspect the items one by one from the most expensive. Heng, no damage done. wipe the gear (usual pratice not due to coffee stain or whatever) and keep in Dri cabi.

Now what should I do with the bag? 1st I tried to use wet towel to clean the bag. No use, coffee smell still there. Then I rinse it with water and use my Osim Icology to steam and clean it. hang to dry. The water in the vacumm cleaner look like coffee. Next day still got a bit of coffee smell. repeat the steam and vacumm process. last night no more smell.

Now the big question. what would you do if your mom poured coffee on yr gears and damage them? cannot be angry or mad right?

Hi DeSwitch! That was a close call! Well, yah, cannot be mad with mum. Or least you can't show it. ;p For me, I will just be thankful that the gear is fine. What's done is done. Maybe just remind mum that it's expensive gear and have to be real careful when near it. ;)

if the bag still smelly, soak the bag alone in water (may be with a little bit of detergent) over night then hang dry? (well, I will not be responsible for any damage done, if it happen).

Mom is more important than camera gear. Camera/lens spoilt can buy again, though expensive. Mom are not replaceable.

it's a good REASON to buy the 30D now. :bsmilie: reason not excuse ok..

cannot be angry.. just suck thumb lah. Not that she did it on purpose.

yanyewkay said:
it's a good REASON to buy the 30D now. :bsmilie: reason not excuse ok..

cannot be angry.. just suck thumb lah. Not that she did it on purpose.
or did she...?(no offence):think: :bsmilie: ....maybe its she felt its time to change to nikon liao!!!

DeSwitch said:
Now the big question. what would you do if your mom poured coffee on yr gears and damage them? cannot be angry or mad right?

what big question??? it's stupid question, i feel. your gear more important than your mom meh? :dunno:

Only 1 reaction loh, suck thumb loh :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

popeye said:
what big question??? it's stupid question, i feel. your gear more important than your mom meh? :dunno:

YALOR, what stupid question. guess the coffee got into my head...:bsmilie:

anyway, that was a very close call. would have to change to a 5D or 30D liao. (seanlim) No-way Im going back to Nikon though for 2 reason.

1. Everytime I see a nikon, it reminds me of the Nikon I lost. (the whole set) :(
2. most of my friends using Canon so lenses/accessories sharing and advise would be easier.

I think my Osim had done a good job in steam cleaning the bag without damage.

DeSwitch said:
last monday, was having a short break at kopitiam with my family. mu mom accidently poured a full cup of hot coffee on my lowepro slingshot200 with my 350D, 100-400L,28-105,kenko 2x,sigma super Dg500, 50mm 1.8 and 2 piece of 1GB CF card ,8Gb MD +++

my heart sank as i saw the coffee poured directly on it. i thought my gears sure gone case as I did not put the AW cover on. quickly wipe off whatever coffee I can with a hanky. took a quick peek inside and was relief to see no stain inside. quickly rush home (luckily was near my house liao) and quickly taqke out all the content from the bag. Throw bad aside and inspect the items one by one from the most expensive. Heng, no damage done. wipe the gear (usual pratice not due to coffee stain or whatever) and keep in Dri cabi.

Now what should I do with the bag? 1st I tried to use wet towel to clean the bag. No use, coffee smell still there. Then I rinse it with water and use my Osim Icology to steam and clean it. hang to dry. The water in the vacumm cleaner look like coffee. Next day still got a bit of coffee smell. repeat the steam and vacumm process. last night no more smell.

Wad would I do har?

Lets see, volcanos will erupt, nuclear bombs will go off and wipe out everything on the face of this planet.

Ok, juz joking. :bsmilie: If my gear is meant to die, its meant to die. No point firing artillery or dropping bombs on my Momma oso. Can make it an excuse to get a EOS 5D oso. ;p

jsbn said:
Wad would I do har?

Lets see, volcanos will erupt, nuclear bombs will go off and wipe out everything on the face of this planet.

Ok, juz joking. :bsmilie: If my gear is meant to die, its meant to die. No point firing artillery or dropping bombs on my Momma oso. Can make it an excuse to get a EOS 5D oso. ;p
it's a genuine reason. not excuse.

jsbn said:
Wad would I do har?

5D :think: still thinking.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
tell your mom to buy you the 5D lor... tell her the coffee enter the camera... then cause unrecoverable error...

yah, she will go to JB and buy 5D (toto 5D) not Canon 5D. If strike den buy canon EOS 5D.:bsmilie:

Hi DeSwitch,

Glad to see it ended up OK.

It was an accident, but one that I am shure will make you more aware of where your camera is whenever you are out.

Mine is by my side where ever I go, never out of my sight.

Now if it was spoiled with coffee by kids playing recklessly, I would be furious :angry: :angry:

I bet your Mum couldn't apologise enough and probably fealt bad about it.

Say, "Hello" to your Mum for me :)

Well, of course cannot get angry with mother, but I think you should get a few "get out of jail" card free from her, to be used whenever you got home late, real late, missed dinner etc etc.

Equipment to a photographer is almost his life.
Understand how u feel. I know it is difficult to suppress the anger at that moment.
But is your mom. She brought u to this world.
w/o her, u don't even have a chance to own what u have currently.
Just have to blame it on bad luck sometimes. :dunno:

It's stories like this one which makes me glad all my gear is insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.