My mini review of Kenko 1.5X Teleconverter

kengoh

Jan 23, 2004
Singapore
As we know for serious nature/birding, the minimum focal length is at least 300mm.
There are cases (eg. Sungei Buloh) that I always wish I have a longer reach. Hence I really need a teleconverter.

Getting a decent one in sg is rather hard. :sweat:
Have asked Tamron - doesn't have for Pentax mount :(
Sigma need to deposit to place order, cost abt $340+. However it will not work with AF & SDM.
Pentax 1.7x TC only available in Japan with a wide range of different prices up to $500++ :bigeyes:
Came across a used Tamron 1.4x TC once but missed the bid.
After much hunting, finally found Kenko 1.5x (support AF & SDM) brand new w/o warranty but also need to bid. ;p

For teleconverters, the higher the magnification the more light will lose out.

x2.0 will lose 2 stops of light
x1.7 will lose 1.5 stops of light
x1.5 will lose 1 stop of light
x1.4 will lose 1 stop of light

Means if I were to use the Kenko 1.5x TC on my DA*300 F4.0, it will becomes 450mm F5.6
Similarly 200mm F2.8 will effectively becomes 300mm F4.
Thus the Kenko 1.5x has a slight edge over the Tamron 1.4x (support AF & SDM) as both loses 1 stop of light but the Kenko after converted will be 450mm vs Tamron's 420mm. :lovegrin:

Packing:
Comes with front/rear covers, warranty card (useless), pouch & box
s3dlz8.jpg

Kenko 1.5X Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ Teleconverter
Size: 66mm dia, 23mm thick
Weight: 105g

24nl8no.jpg

Front
2it0j8l.jpg

Rear
2li8sg7.jpg

Below are some pics for comparison:
All shots taken with DA*300 F4.0, no post-processing, only crop & resize.

Cropped & resize
without TC
2rylztc.jpg

with TC
245y7w4.jpg

Resize
without TC
i6mucl.jpg

with TC
20ubcoy.jpg

Last edited:
100% crop
2cg27ev.jpg

My thoughts:
The Kenko 1.5x TC works well when there's sufficient light, if not it will hunt for a while depending how bright is the environment.

Quality wise, I feel that it will degrade a little, so If there's no necessity, I'll just shoot with my 300mm.
It is recommneded to use on fast lens with at least F4.0.
toshio127 is using on his DA55-300. Maybe toshio127 would like to share his results?

Thanks for reading.

The rest of the pics using 1.5x Kenko TC

Last edited:
The TC you have is the SHQ version. If not wrong Kenko have at least 3~4 versions. The new and the very old one without SHQ will not work with SDM lenses. Due to the missing connector.
BTW. AF with the TC is useless most of the times.

*Pentax F1.7x is not a TC. It's an AF converter for manual lenses.

Last edited:
Nice review, Ken. The 1.5x Kenko TC performed pretty well with your DA*300/4. It's one of the better TCs out there, quite a bit similar to the Tamron 1.4x TC (AF, 4 elements one).

Thanks for sharing.
It always takes effort to do such comparisons and write ups. :thumbsup:

So how much is the Kenko?

(btw, I think its time to do a pixel map on your camera ) ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Is this the same thing? US$ 129

Nice review bro . Can to share how much u got it and how u got it ?

one japanese guy is selling it on ebay and pentax forum... new old stock, no warranty ;) just do a search.

i've been tempted by this for a long time... powerzoom contact allows AF on SDM lenses, gate array chip ensures communication between TC, lens and camera body. :lovegrin: its one step improved from normal TC with just "A" contact to set aperture from body.

other than the pentax 1.7x, this is the other TC that's high on my shopping list.

ken is pushing me past the edge of my endurance with this thread.

The TC you have is the SHQ version. If not wrong Kenko have at least 3~4 versions. The new and the very old one without SHQ will not work with SDM lenses. Due to the missing connector.
BTW. AF with the TC is useless most of the times.

*Pentax F1.7x is not a TC. It's an AF converter for manual lenses.

I didn't know Kenko got a few version of Pentax Mount, thot it's for C/N/S brand mount?
Kenko have a series of new ver TC but sadly not available for Pentax. :(

Nice review, Ken. The 1.5x Kenko TC performed pretty well with your DA*300/4. It's one of the better TCs out there, quite a bit similar to the Tamron 1.4x TC (AF, 4 elements one).

Thanks Fengwei. :)
I also read Kenko is one of the better ones. The Tamron I came across is a used one & the closing bid is $300+.
Glad that I got this Kenko brand new at a much lower price. :lovegrin:

Thanks for sharing.

I used to do PC hardware writeup/mini review last time & it was in chinese, that one more tough. :sweatsm:

I got this Kenko abt $230+ after 6 bids. :sweat:
2 bids I missed the timing, 2 bids forgot abt ending bid time, 2 bids being outbided.
Got one bid the closing price was ridiculous, US$280! :eek:

Don has given u the clue. ;)

one japanese guy is selling it on ebay and pentax forum... new old stock, no warranty ;) just do a search.

i've been tempted by this for a long time... powerzoom contact allows AF on SDM lenses, gate array chip ensures communication between TC, lens and camera body. :lovegrin: its one step improved from normal TC with just "A" contact to set aperture from body.

other than the pentax 1.7x, this is the other TC that's high on my shopping list.

ken is pushing me past the edge of my endurance with this thread.

You also know the source? Or is it I PM you last time? :think:

Don has given u the clue. ;)

You also know the source? Or is it I PM you last time? :think:

can't remember whether you told me or i found it... its been on my ebay watchlist for quite long liao... my interest is mainly using it for macro to help me with slightly larger than 1:1 magnification.

macro lens + 1.5x TC + extension tubes :devil: