my master card number was exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
On friday, DBS called me up and told me that my card number was exposed-meaing the site that I bought something from was hacked. He said they were cancel my card immediately and issue me a new card. When I asked which site was hacked, he didn't tell me nothing.

So guys, just be careful when you wanna buy something online.

Hey 9, sorry to hear about what's happened to you, it's an all too common problem at present though.

ninelives said:
On friday, DBS called me up and told me that my card number was exposed-meaing the site that I bought something from was hacked. He said they were cancel my card immediately and issue me a new card. When I asked which site was hacked, he didn't tell me nothing.

DBS should at least tell you which site kenda hacked. So that you can take note.

BTW, I'm anti-DBS but I got POSB account. :)

If you look back at the websites where you purchased stuff from (using your card) which one do you think may have been hacked?

Good that DBS called you at least. After they screwed up on me (quite a bit and more than once), I stopped using them.

ninelives said:

I was shocked to get my Visa bill in Jan as there were 2 items purchased at a well known shopping centre in KL which amount to thousands. To confirm my suspicion I check my passport and lo and behold I was not even in Malaysia on the dates mentioned. I called up Citibank and guess what, I was told to pay the bill first while they investigate the case. They will then debit the amount back to my account after the investigation. Last week I called them and they told me they are still investigating. So in the meantime I paid for something I did not buy. I should have just ignored the bill. I guess nothing is safe anymore. I know what I'll do, I will not pay this month's bill and tell them to offset the amount from the illegal payment which I've made. As far as I'm concerned they can do what they like but I think 2 months is enough for an investigation. What is a couple of thousands to a bank.

yeah. you shouldn't pay them cos they are benefiting from the interest. you should have asked for an immediate chargeback.

jbma said:
I was shocked to get my Visa bill in Jan as there were 2 items purchased at a well known shopping centre in KL which amount to thousands. To confirm my suspicion I check my passport and lo and behold I was not even in Malaysia on the dates mentioned. I called up Citibank and guess what, I was told to pay the bill first while they investigate the case. They will then debit the amount back to my account after the investigation. Last week I called them and they told me they are still investigating. So in the meantime I paid for something I did not buy. I should have just ignored the bill. I guess nothing is safe anymore. I know what I'll do, I will not pay this month's bill and tell them to offset the amount from the illegal payment which I've made. As far as I'm concerned they can do what they like but I think 2 months is enough for an investigation. What is a couple of thousands to a bank.

thot u can dispute the amount and dun pay,
insist on it coz its your rights.....
ask them to show evidence of your purchase instead.....

if still cannot, ask to speak to higher authority instead of the phone officer,
kick up a big fuss and i am pretty sure u won't have to pay for those item....
worse case, threathen to cancel, will definitely works....

ops sorry...just realised you have paid....
this case you cannot just dun pay the current bill without their consent,
insist on the refund and have them to acknowledge it, take down name of person u have talked to.....

wow..what an unplesant incident.actually if we wanted credit cards as part of lifestyle...it should be just one card. and it ought 2b the one u keep in the closet n never touch at all..all except in the case of dire emergencies.

ie i believe... we shouldnt use credit cards at all ^_^

Ask Citibank to product a copy of the charge slip.

Yup, there may be a retrival fee involved, but it is worth it as you will have definate proof (in addition to your passport) that you didn't make the purchase.

A police report would help but you may be treated on a "making a statement basis" as there is a time laspe involved.

Then challenge the bank, in writing, to prove you wrong otherwise.... they would have about 7 days to response to this. If they can't, they will have to charge-back the merchant (or the shop which nailed your CC) and refund you the charge slip retrival fee....

I think the process shouldn't have changed much since I was dealing with them as a Credit Officer of a hotel some years back....

mysonlovenemo said:
thot u can dispute the amount and dun pay,
insist on it coz its your rights.....
ask them to show evidence of your purchase instead.....

if still cannot, ask to speak to higher authority instead of the phone officer,
kick up a big fuss and i am pretty sure u won't have to pay for those item....
worse case, threathen to cancel, will definitely works....

ops sorry...just realised you have paid....
this case you cannot just dun pay the current bill without their consent,
insist on the refund and have them to acknowledge it, take down name of person u have talked to.....

Actually when you signed up for the card, you would have agreed to the cardmember's agreement with DBSBank.

Under the Agreement, for the Section on Fraud.
The cardholder is supposed to pay the amount before the bank will investigate and refund the amount if found that you have not used it.

It is not enough to simply "act like a kid", throw tantrums and "kick up a big fuss" and "demand for your rights" when you did not read the agreement.

It is the same for All other card holders who have encountered the same problem.

You can yell at the bank officer for all you care, but you are just making things difficult for a simple employed man/woman who did not set the rule in the first place.

Make sure it really was DBS calling you!
and not some "I'll issue you a new card, just give me the current card details so I can enter it into my computer".

ninelives said:

adamadam said:
Make sure it really was DBS calling you!
and not some "I'll issue you a new card, just give me the current card details so I can enter it into my computer".

heh, i'm not that dumb, he read out my card number instead.

jbma said:

My experience with Citibank on such issues have been TOP-NOTCH... if confirmed fradulent spending, dun worry. They will definitely refund you.

P/S: I DUN WORK FOR CITIBANK NOR IS IN ANY WAY RELATED TO CITIBANK.

Just be careful not to send any CC info thru email in plain text. Few weeks ago I book thru travel agent in Malaysia for my holiday trip, since they dont have Https (secure form) in their website, they ask me to send my CC info thru email. I told them blanky "Are you nuts??". Cant expect her to undertand the risk involve :) Somemore she can even say many customer dont mind doing that, yeah right.

In the end, I told her the number thru phone. While some info I sent thru email. Its not 100% safe, but at least no body can know my number.

best is not to have any credit card.

RuthBaby said:
remember behind our cc there is a 3 digit security pin?
its also not save to key those into the internet.. but bo bianz.. unless dun buy right'?

some site don't need to key in the 3 key one.

Drudkh said:
best is not to have any credit card.

very useful lor, especially for online gamer like me. i can use it to book exam, can use it to buy software and etc....

clive said:
wow..what an unplesant incident.actually if we wanted credit cards as part of lifestyle...it should be just one card. and it ought 2b the one u keep in the closet n never touch at all..all except in the case of dire emergencies.

ie i believe... we shouldnt use credit cards at all ^_^

i have always use credit cards as an alternative way to pay the merchant.
luckily until now, i do not need to roll over any amount.
u delay a few weeks before you actually pay for the purchase. can earn some interest (even though negligible amt).

Status
Not open for further replies.