My Little Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

shidyar

Jul 2, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor

greetings to all.

I would like to know your thoughts on the treatment I have given this picture. I experimented with the colours to give it a lomo feel as it bumps the saturation and contrast. I feel the rich colour and contrast would put more emphasis on the miniature feel of the picture.

This shot was taken hand held (didn't have a tripod with me since i just got off work) with a 50mm f1.4 stepped down to f2.5 at 1/8 shutter and ISO1600.

First off, it is a crop of a bigger scene. So in terms of composition, I would like your thoughts on how I could improve. Would a shot from a higher plane be more effective

The point of this whole exercise, was to attempt to come out with a tilt image. I'd read about some techniques regarding this at work and I'd set out looking for a shot to use. This is my first tilt attempt.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
Personally I find the angle is fine, though a little higher would hurt.

However the colours are awful. Too much of a yellowish-green cast, over lomo-fied? No doubt the street & building lights are affecting the outcome but should still try shooting earlier to get a more correct evening exposure. Would be good to see the bank as what it really is, I forgot this was the Singapore river and that it was lined with shrubs. Notice the white bridge is taking too much attention, tone it down just a fraction.

Sep 16, 2009
AMK
Nice, it really looks like a model rather than a real thing. :bigeyes:

SeAnCoLd

Nov 10, 2008
Hi, I agree that the colours are unnatural and not very pleasing. Also, the bokeh simulated looks quite different from what a real one would look like.

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
i have always thought the lomo feel is fun but fake. back to your question, i thought you overdid it on the saturation. color balance looks off. otherwise yes there seems to be the miniature effect. composition wise, if your intention was to show alittle of the background, try stepping up to F5.6 cos too much blur.

May 23, 2009
Singapore
Hi:

My attention goes to bridge at the top not on small boat. Do some cropping at the top and right of the pic to avoid distraction from the subject.

Good Day

shidyar

Jul 2, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
thanks all for all your comments.. point noted on the saturation.. will go back to the processing workflow to fine tune..

will also experiment with the crop.. if it's ok with the mods i'd like to put up my original uncropped image...

pokiemon.. the blur was further enhaced to give a forced shallow dof that comes with shooting miniatures.. but will do with less..

Last edited:

laposto

Sep 29, 2009
www.pbase.com
this image is very nice.. well done making it like miniature :) keep it up:thumbsup:

Sep 2, 2006
just wondering why did you step down to f2.5?

I like what you're trying to attempt but I wish the the boat was sharp or in focus.

Dec 8, 2009
for a better tilt-shift effect, make sure you are on a higher ground looking down. around maybe 35-55 degrees to your subject to get the maximum miniature effect

pokiemon

Mar 5, 2005
hi ts, OT alittle but have you tried cropping your pic this way.

Last edited:

mivecdohc

Feb 21, 2008
Sunny(rainy) singapore
Nice! Love the miniaturish effects:bsmilie: Hope to see more!
Saw how they do it in the magazines the other day, was thinking of trying out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom