My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?


Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#1
My personal and working life is taking quite a toll on me. I find it hard to sleep at night with a lot of thoughts on my mind... Friends has been telling me i really need a break. Probably an overseas trip will be good on me.

I like to drive. When i'm really stressed, i drive to make myself feel better. I'm running my own photography business, i'm trying to earn and save as much i can on the way. Therefore I don't want to set a high budget for this trip. S$200 max?

However, where to drive?? Driving in Singapore is out for me (i'm not a speed maniac, but i need somewhere i can really consider a 'getaway' drive)... I really love the diverse landscape in Bali and driving there will be wonderful. But the air tix is already S$150 thereabout, it'll burst my budget after backpacking lodging and car rental.
I thought of West Malaysia, as it's just a stone-throw away. But is there any place nice for driving??
 

Koelsch

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
1,454
0
0
The Land of the Teddy Bear
#2
drive around msia and take more photos!

i don't drive but everywhere in msia tells a story. up for you so some pro traveller would read your thread. lol.
 

Nisa

Senior Member
Aug 13, 2004
1,286
0
0
#3
check some of malaysia tourism sites? i am sure u can go to MY.
Get some ppl to go along, to lower ur costs. :)
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,662
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#4
Malaysia's a good choice! Avoid KL though...the city centre is pretty hectic and will defeat your purpose of having a quiet getaway.

Penang, Malacca, Ipoh - easy to nagivate since these towns have plenty of ethnic Chinese for you to talk to and ask for directions and attractions.
 

st11x

New Member
Jan 12, 2004
59
0
0
Canberra,Australia
#5
behyx said:
I thought of West Malaysia, as it's just a stone-throw away. But is there any place nice for driving??
When I was a little younger, I used to go riding with my mates abouts West Malaysia every conceivable weekend and public holiday until I had some kind of "phobia"; and I can tell you it is definitely a good place for you to recharge with a limited budget.

Highway 3 on the east coast was very nice with the curves, but I think they have straighten most parts of it.

Highway 4 right at the top that crosses east to west is the perfect highway with lots of amazing scenery.

Towards the northern part is where all your senses will come alive.

Note that I did my trips on a bike, so your mileage may vary.

Matt
 

canoni5

Senior Member
Oct 30, 2005
21
0
0
39
AMK
ju78salescorner.blogspot.com
#6
behyx said:
I thought of West Malaysia, as it's just a stone-throw away. But is there any place nice for driving??

how about driving up to this lake in malaysia... i need to get the details when i'm home... but u can see my pictures here: julianapics.shutterfly.com & click on malaysia trip.
 

Lmodel

New Member
Jun 19, 2005
1,124
0
0
Jurong Island
#7
Even with driving up north, it might not be cheap unless you ride.

E.g. driving up to Penang could result in RM150 in petrol and RM80 (to and fro) in tolls and yet exclude Hotel.

I've rode up to Hatyai before and on bikes, you only pay the first toll and its free all the way to the Thai border. Negative point is I can only bring my P&S to shed weight.

With such a constraint budget, you'll feel more stressful to travel to relax having many to think before spending.

Cheers
 

shiyre

New Member
Apr 3, 2006
4
0
0
#8
Can go to Cameron, quite relaxed there and almost confirmed that you won't bust your budget. Just enjoy the cool air, strawberry farms and cheap food. Great photo opportunities too.
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#9
Wow that's a a lot of recommendations!

I'm not too sure if going on the highway will be good, as one will misses a lot of nice scenery on the way. Toll is not cheap either! On top of that, highway is boring!

I don't mind taking a train into north/mid malaysia (or to KL), rent a car and make it the start/end point of my roadtrip.

A shoestring traveller myself, i indulge and find pleasure in doing trips on extremely low budget. eg: Bali 10 days for under S$200 excl airfares. Sometimes if i let my mind rest for a long time, it will lead to these problems resurfacing... So spending 2 days at a seaside resort and laze my days away is going to be a bad idea.

The best is if there is a Great Ocean Road equivalent in Malaysia? That will be my ultimate relaxation roadtrip.
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#10
canoni5 said:
how about driving up to this lake in malaysia... i need to get the details when i'm home... but u can see my pictures here: julianapics.shutterfly.com & click on malaysia trip.
Oh it'll be so nice of you if you could get me some details of the lake. Thanks in advance.
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#11
st11x said:
When I was a little younger, I used to go riding with my mates abouts West Malaysia every conceivable weekend and public holiday until I had some kind of "phobia"; and I can tell you it is definitely a good place for you to recharge with a limited budget.

Highway 3 on the east coast was very nice with the curves, but I think they have straighten most parts of it.

Highway 4 right at the top that crosses east to west is the perfect highway with lots of amazing scenery.

Towards the northern part is where all your senses will come alive.

Note that I did my trips on a bike, so your mileage may vary.

Matt
Thanks Matt, can you pls explain what makes one senses come alive towards the northern part? Is it the highway 4 stretch?
 

Xing

Senior Member
Nov 4, 2004
1,048
0
36
Lower Seletar Reservoir
#12
hi behyx, why not travel up the east coast of West Msia. There's Mersing, Kuantan, Trengganu, and Kota Bahru, just a few major cities along the east coast. you can grab an overnight bus to these places for RM20++ at Larkin bus interchange, much cheaper than driving up. That is if you are travelling alone.

There are alot of nature reserves, fishing villages, beach resorts along the way too, can be an experience of a lifetime if you travel slowly :D Beaches along Kuantan and Trengganu, will be flooded with egg-laying turtles this coming May-Aug, islands like Redang and Perhentian, or even Tioman, are good getaways from city life.
 

trlnlty

New Member
Mar 22, 2005
476
0
0
#13
whats your paypal add..

ill contribute 5 bucks to your cause :thumbsup:

in a good mood today and you seem like a nice guy :dunno:
 

Michael

New Member
Apr 5, 2005
829
0
0
47
Thailand
www.pbase.com
#17
I have been riding a lot in Malaysia and i would propose the following:

> really good driving/riding is only north of KL
> avoid the highway

Loop 1: (keeps you within budget)
> JB > Kota Tinggi (go see the waterfalls) > Mersing (stay over night) > turn back towards Kota Tinggi but in Jemaluang you turn towards Kluang > take highway 1 back to JB
this loop can be done in one day as well, about 500km

Loop 2:
JB Highway 1 towards Yong Peng > Segamat > Gemas > Bahau > Highway 9 to Karak > stay overnight in Bukit Tinggi or Genting > Jerantut > Kuantan > Mersing > JB

Loop 3
same as above but after Karak you follow to KL > Sepang > coastal highway down to Melacca > Singapore

Loop 4 "The Highlands"
JB Highway 1 towards Yong Peng > Segamat > Gemas > Bahau > Highway 9 to Karak > Genting R&R > Genting > back down and north towards Fraser Hill > up Fraser Hill (great place to stay over night) > down Fraser Hill on the East Side > drive north on the highway towards Terenganu > take the new road from the east up to Cameron Highlands > down on the west > take the back roads to Sha Alam > Sepang > Melacca > Singapore
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#18
trlnlty said:
whats your paypal add..

ill contribute 5 bucks to your cause :thumbsup:

in a good mood today and you seem like a nice guy :dunno:
Wah!! Are you serious!! :think: :thumbsup:
If you give me, my budget will rise to S$205 hehe
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,642
0
0
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#19
Thanks Michael,

These are really great info!

Can i ask, if these routes are mid/south malaysia? As i won't be driving a SG car up, i will be renting in Malaysia, it's perfectly ok if i start/end my journey in northern places accessible by train.


Michael said:
I have been riding a lot in Malaysia and i would propose the following:

> really good driving/riding is only north of KL
> avoid the highway

Loop 1: (keeps you within budget)
> JB > Kota Tinggi (go see the waterfalls) > Mersing (stay over night) > turn back towards Kota Tinggi but in Jemaluang you turn towards Kluang > take highway 1 back to JB
this loop can be done in one day as well, about 500km

Loop 2:
JB Highway 1 towards Yong Peng > Segamat > Gemas > Bahau > Highway 9 to Karak > stay overnight in Bukit Tinggi or Genting > Jerantut > Kuantan > Mersing > JB

Loop 3
same as above but after Karak you follow to KL > Sepang > coastal highway down to Melacca > Singapore

Loop 4 "The Highlands"
JB Highway 1 towards Yong Peng > Segamat > Gemas > Bahau > Highway 9 to Karak > Genting R&R > Genting > back down and north towards Fraser Hill > up Fraser Hill (great place to stay over night) > down Fraser Hill on the East Side > drive north on the highway towards Terenganu > take the new road from the east up to Cameron Highlands > down on the west > take the back roads to Sha Alam > Sepang > Melacca > Singapore
 

trlnlty

New Member
Mar 22, 2005
476
0
0
#20
behyx said:
Wah!! Are you serious!! :think: :thumbsup:
If you give me, my budget will rise to S$205 hehe

dude im serious ..

from one photographer to another
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom