My lens burned...

iguanavon

Nov 30, 2010
Shimonoseki
Very sad... First macro outing and I spoilt my lens :cry:
Just found out that my lens kena burnt when I removed my Raynox... Lens bought just 2 months ago...
But don't know considered lucky or not... didn't burn the sensor...:sweat:

Anyone knows whether it's worth to repair or just get new lens?

Last edited:
wad lens is tht? I would recommend repair if it is $300 and above as heng front element only. Why never put filter??? If you want buy new one, you can giv tht to me:D

wait. what burn?!

wad lens is tht? I would recommend repair if it is $300 and above as heng front element only. Why never put filter??? If you want buy new one, you can giv tht to me:D

It's a Tamron 18~200... Sony mount... Ya, luckily only the front element, but sad because just 2 months old sia... :bheart:

I was using the Raynox 250 for macro shots, so didn't put filter... Filter can prevent this kind of accidents???

It's a Tamron 18~200... Sony mount... Ya, luckily only the front element, but sad because just 2 months old sia... :bheart:

I was using the Raynox 250 for macro shots, so didn't put filter... Filter can prevent this kind of accidents???

Ya..
The heat all mainly go to the filter wad, its not like u put the raynox inside the lens or in between the filter and the front element:bsmilie:

Ya..
The heat all mainly go to the filter wad, its not like u put the raynox inside the lens or in between the filter and the front element:bsmilie:

I think because the Raynox is like magnifying glass... So somewhere during my macro shoot, must have pointed towards the sun and caused the burn...

Wow. Maybe should move thread to macro section to let other Raynox user beware of this. I can imagine u must be too busy wiping off sweat during the shoot to notice it.

Wow. Maybe should move thread to macro section to let other Raynox user beware of this. I can imagine u must be too busy wiping off sweat during the shoot to notice it.

Noted... Starting a new thread there...

wow... this is a first.

how long did u point it at the sun?

Did it melt the plastic or the glass element?

If its just the plastic it should be fine ? Unless the melted plastic moved to other parts of the lens..

I dont think glass can melt so easily right??

Did it melt the plastic or the glass element?

If its just the plastic it should be fine ? Unless the melted plastic moved to other parts of the lens..

I dont think glass can melt so easily right??

I suppose the beam will just pass through the glass..like how it passed through the macro...it's because the plastic has lower temperature rating such that it melts...

maybe you should send it in for servicing... you might never know if there's something wrong with the sensor after that ant-frying incident..

Wow... First time I've seen of such. If I'm not mistaken, the thing that melted is made of some sort of foam.

Last edited:
maybe you should send it in for servicing... you might never know if there's something wrong with the sensor after that ant-frying incident..

Hmm... How should I tell the servicing centre? Will need to pay???

Hmm... How should I tell the servicing centre? Will need to pay???

I would guess so, its not a manufacturing defect and you place a third party accessory on it which caused the damage. It does not qualify for any warranty claims.

Ya..

No lah. A filter would not have made any difference.