My K3 Experience

poseur

Jul 27, 2009
Yo All K3 owners,

I am in the middle of doing an Actual-day wedding shoot. So far the experience with my K3 had been +++.

The multi-zone white balance is super and results is amazing.

I tried a few iso3200 shots, i feel its almost noise-less, I dont really understand why some users reported in the other forums saying the k3 sensor is alittle bit mroe noisy the k5ii. i think K3 > K5iis .

AF is slightly quicker compare to k5II but i notice when during power up or when the camera wakes from sleep mode. The first half press AF is a little sluggish. but that first "frame" every thing is quick. Hope this can be fixed by firmware upgrades.

AFC burst rate with auto AF muti-point works well, good for actions shots.

Without reading the menu, i have no problem getting all the settings I need, so those having the K5 or later should feel comfortable with it. There are slight change in buttons layout. most of it is logical placed. Love the new button to toggle between AF points and the WB/flash settings. no need to press and wait 1sec like in the k5.

The direction key buttons to control the AF points is rather hard to get used to. Maybe of the design of the buttons, its is not always easy to get an accurate 45deg direction. But this is still a welcoming feature to quickly change your AF points.

Personally I feel the mode lock/unlock button is redundant, it way too easy to click the unlock button.

There is now 27 AF points is placed into the same "11 points" AF brackets of the k5/k30/k5ii, meaning you will get better af accuracy and more choice of AF points. The -3EV AF is a life saver in dark or indoor situations.

Turning on all the lens correction and functions, it does not slow down the frame rate at all.

Overall my experience is very positive, ok my break over, back to shooting.

K3 owners , please come in and share/poison others with your K3 experience / stories.

Last edited:
I just got my k3 this afternoon..

10758077383_5ba038f3fe_b.jpg

nightshoot @ iso16000 @ HRD1

tomorrow morning ill be doing sunrise to test the k3. hope it will be a good weather tomorrow @ punggol

Reactions: Raffles88
Thanks Poseur for sharing your experience.

I gotten the K3 yesterday morning, just in time for the AFA at Suntec. Can't really try all the functionality of the K3 on one day. But more or less have a better feel of the camera. The camera as a whole felt a bit heavier but the grip is so much better. The new battery grip also felt better than the old one.

As sugggested by Poseur, I also try the multi-zone white balance. It is great and quite accurate. However, I think it is better to take in JPEG or Raw +. I have issues with the white balance when i am editing the photo in lightroom with RAW file (DNG Format).

I have not push the ISO of the K3, therefore, can't comment much.

As for AF speed, I personally can't feel much difference with the K5iis. Maybe need more using of it to know it it is faster. However, in Live View mode, it's a different story. It is way better than the K5 or K5IIs. It is also much faster than the K30. When it takes the photo at LV, it is somehow feel as fast as the K01 which is impressive.
A picture with live view:

In regards to the accuracy of the AF, I can't comment much. Sometimes, I felt it is ain't accurate as I was using Focus-Priority release but maybe I was playing with F2.2 most of the time.

The camera menu is almost similar to the K5 which is quite easy for K5 users to use it on a fly. As for the placement of buttons, I kinda of like the new layout. The buttons are more protuding I felt, much easier to press. For the changing of AF mode and AF Points, it seem more faster. Pressing and hold the AF mode button, front dial to change from AFA>AFS>AFC, Rear dial to change the points of AF.

Overrall, happy with the K3. Will have to enjoy it more.

Some shots at the AFA..
Shot with FA31.

Trying out shooting people walking towards me with FA77. Focus seem good and fast.

Reactions: Raffles88
Hi Ranchy, Thanks for sharing. It looks like you are enjoying your K3.:)

How does the LV mode like in K3? In K5II the LV is such a letdown. When it locks into focus, it automatically zoom in & out, during this

time the screen will go blackout for about 2 secs. Literally the shooting slowdown very much & it is annoying as well. Thanks.

Hi Ranchy, Thanks for sharing. It looks like you are enjoying your K3.:)

How does the LV mode like in K3? In K5II the LV is such a letdown. When it locks into focus, it automatically zoom in & out, during this

time the screen will go blackout for about 2 secs. Literally the shooting slowdown very much & it is annoying as well. Thanks.

Hi,

The k3 live view is different from the k5ii..
Its about the same as the k30 or k01. So no more zooming in and out..

Very poisonous, cannot wait to pair with my silver da40 but the silver abit ex zzzzz.

Silver edition with silver grip is only $200 more than black edition with black grip.(black grip japan amazon is $230), so 15XX + 230= 17XX, versus 19XX for the SE+SGrip.

Very poisonous, cannot wait to pair with my silver da40 but the silver abit ex zzzzz.

Now pay 200 more .

When want to sell that time also can fetch 200 more mah

Silver edition with silver grip is only $200 more than black edition with black grip.(black grip japan amazon is $230), so 15XX + 230= 17XX, versus 19XX for the SE+SGrip.

Dont forget the silver edition have additional orginal battery.

2nd Day with K3 and again went back to AFA 2013 @ Suntec for more testing.

Glad that I met Poseur at there, in which with his and Doyle help, I did my first lens AF Adjustment!
It's the first time I need to do AF Fine Adjustment and I'm GLAD that K3 have this option and it can be use for each individual lens. I never did any AF adjustment before and my FA24 really need to be adjusted before I could get sharp images instead of blur pictures. So did the FA50.

Some images again mostly with FA24:

Felt the Camera did well to focus and also get a good correct white balance against the light coming through the window.

My 1st set of battery is close to flat for 2 days shots, felt the battery life is shorter, however, I'm using my old K01 Battery which also could be worn out. So not a good way to gauge the battery life on K3. Hope the rest could give better updates on it.

Randy, Martini, all, thanks for giving inputs on the new K3.

Congrats to all those who already got the K3. Fantastic camera, isn't it?

I'll post my feelings soon, together w/ some photos (which I think are pretty nice ;)).

Cheers and happy shooting.

Better get one yourself. Buy early, enjoy more ;)

Many of us would rather wait for your pictures and your feelings about using the camera before we indulge .......... so don't keep us waiting too long. ;)

Hi there, just to report on a strange observation. I am faced with "Battery depleted" shutdown after 1 shot when in burst mode. Battery still has 2 of 3 bar... This is my charge on the battery.

Normal single-shot shooting is fine.

Burst mode when battery is full (yesterday) is fine....